• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Speed or Dynamic effort training

Please do start a thread Joel, it's a good way to teach and learn. :) If you look at Talmants idea that you can only lift the bar faster because you have already increased your max and not because you have increased your speed it makes sense. But if this was the case sprinters would only have to get stronger and stronger to increase their ability to cycle their legs faster, I have yet to see this happen. Sure they increase stride length due to more strength expressed on each foot fall but their leg cycling is the same.

If I used a poor lockout bencher as an example again. Theoretically increasing the speed of the lower portion would make the lockout easier. It makes great sense, but my question really is what is the best way to increase the speed at this point. Heavier low range benches so your strength off chest is higher and therefore your bar speed at you lockout problem is faster or whether benching a lower weight faster is the best idea. Personally I think the first example I used makes more sense but I have yet gotten to a level where I need to try it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
Please do start a thread Joel, it's a good way to teach and learn. :) If you look at Talmants idea that you can only lift the bar faster because you have already increased your max and not because you have increased your speed it makes sense. But if this was the case sprinters would only have to get stronger and stronger to increase their ability to cycle their legs faster, I have yet to see this happen. Sure they increase stride length due to more strength expressed on each foot fall but their leg cycling is the same.

If I used a poor lockout bencher as an example again. Theoretically increasing the speed of the lower portion would make the lockout easier. It makes great sense, but my question really is what is the best way to increase the speed at this point. Heavier low range benches so your strength off chest is higher and therefore your bar speed at you lockout problem is faster or whether benching a lower weight faster is the best idea. Personally I think the first example I used makes more sense but I have yet gotten to a level where I need to try it.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think a lifter would need to do both Dave. Speed work will give you bar speed at that point, but it never hurts to be stronger either. Rack work from different points, board presses and floor presses are done every session.

While I love speed, strength always come first. Luckily we dont need to choose between the 2, we simply do both.

Stronger is always better.

Posted via Mobile Device

I agree with Markos the lifter will need to do both.

Speed work may make the lockout out easier but I still think if an athlete has a sticking point they need to work that directly -

I'll use Matt who trains at my gym for an example - he has great speed off the chest but struggles with lockout the last 2-3 inches - at the comp in Albury he smashed up 140 but could not lock it out - looked like about 100kgs coming off his chest.

In his program I have kept in speed work but of course we have included board pressing with the 3 board - we have worked this sticking point directly and now he has the speed off his chest from the speed work + the lockout power to be able to lock the weight out - at albury he did a 130 bench, just missed a 140 and last night he did 4 reps at 130kgs - and I know this has been from smashing each part of the lift - improving the part he is good at but becoming great at the part hes not.