• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

So many differen't Supplements ... ?

Kharn

Hello

As I am kind of new to the whole supplement side of nutrition I was wondering if I could get a quick "low-down" on how exactly to go about 'supplementing' my nutrion.

As much as I like hearing aabout the gains people make while on various supplements incorperated into their diets, everytime I walk into a supplement store I am daunted by the amount of products and what to get or where to start....let alone generally trying to be persuaded by the sales person (but hey it is his job can't blame him).

Anyway....what are the BASIC elements of supplements and there AREAS

An example I can give and probably the only one, not even sure if it is correct however it goes as follows...

Preworkout Mix - Creatine/High Carb based Protein powder.
During workout - High energy drink.
Postworkout Mix - Low Carb based, High quality Protein powder.

Once again I state that I am not sure if that example is even rite...

All I know is this though...I think...

Creatine - High Energy/sugar/Pre Workout
Protein - I just assume a high protein intake no dif to Pre or Post etc...
Carbs - High and Low carbs (as to when Pre or post or during or even throughout the day I don't know when really...)
??? -
??? -
??? -

I'd rather not fall victim to the salesman in the shop and just go in with the knowledge of what I am after BASICALLY and get some brand with the high/low end stuff on it that I see.

Please help :)

Cheers

EDIT 1: Multi Vitamin - Because its full of goodness

EDIT2: what I ment about most of the above about the "?" dosen't just stay within 'powders' although I am not really interested in the meals/bars I am interested in utilizing the pills I see in the shop too I am just not sure if I need to or what there for etc

Last edited:
The basic low down is you don't need any supplements, real food is better. The only thing supplements are proven to do is remove money from your wallet.

The basic low down is you don't need any supplements, real food is better. The only thing supplements are proven to do is remove money from your wallet.

Yea and no. There are proven supps which tend to be the best to use, such as good old whey protein (wpi or wpc) and creatine. Multi vitamin is a must as well as fish oil. I consider anything on top of that a luxury supplement.

But yes real food is key to success. As u sound like you are new to the game I would recommend you focus on your food intake before you start spending on supplements, because they are designed to supplement your diet, not be te basis of your diet.

Also if u are daunted about going into a supplement store on your own, use te community here to help you out. Also eBay tends to be a good place to buy your bulk supplements, which means you can look at your leisure and not feel pestered and pressured by a sales rep In a store who is pushing x or y supplements.

Hope that helps a bit

When I first started out I followed the basic programs posted up here, PTC etc etc, then I started branching out on my own and buying this and that.

I have cut out alot of crap from my diet, I would have to agree with AshOz above, WPC/WPI, multi and fish oil. Creatine is you like but it didn't do a great deal for me, if any.

The only suppliments I take now are the basics:

*Multi Vitamin
*Fish Oil
*WPC

The extra $ I was buying suppliments with, I now put into food :)
I also feel a lot better too, health and energy wise.

Yea and no. There are proven supps which tend to be the best to use, such as good old whey protein (wpi or wpc) and creatine. Multi vitamin is a must as well as fish oil. I consider anything on top of that a luxury supplement.

But yes real food is key to success. As u sound like you are new to the game I would recommend you focus on your food intake before you start spending on supplements, because they are designed to supplement your diet, not be te basis of your diet.

Also if u are daunted about going into a supplement store on your own, use te community here to help you out. Also eBay tends to be a good place to buy your bulk supplements, which means you can look at your leisure and not feel pestered and pressured by a sales rep In a store who is pushing x or y supplements.

Hope that helps a bit

Protein powder is just convenient protein. Meat or milk has the protein along with heaps of other benefits, spend your money on meat rather than protein powder.

Creatine works but its not necessary and it's in meat as well.

You don't need supplements and most people will be better off without them.

Convenient protein yes, and for someone who works full time its sometimes the only viable option because not every1 has the time to scoff their tuna, beans, rice and evoo mix at whilst at work.

Also creatine content in meat isn't really that high. U have to eat alot to get the 3-5g reccomended

Saying you work full time so don't have time for a decent lunch is a bullshit excuse. Plan ahead.

If you have o ask about what suppliments you should take, then your not ready for them.

I have only just started to add a couple of suppliments to my diet after years of training.

If you have o ask about what suppliments you should take, then your not ready for them.
Strong spelling!!!

The only supplement you need is fish oil/joint health supplement, all the rest are luxuries, having said that, I take WPC, creatine, glutamine, multi & a joint supp. They are my own personal essentials.

Most people would do better if they'd never heard the word 'supplement', even more than learning to use them properly. The amount of time spent stressing over them must be hell on cortisol levels.

Saying you work full time so don't have time for a decent lunch is a bullshit excuse. Plan ahead.

Who said anything about lunch or planning dude? personally every morning i prep 2 whey shakes w/ 2 tablespoons of natty pb and 2 apples. Meals 2 and 4 every day. Meals 1, 3 and 6 are always real food for me of which only 1 and 6 require cooking.

The shake (Protein and good fat) and apple (low gi carbs) is still a complete meal and satisfies all my macros.

Here's the drill:
protein (I reccomend wpc, unless you have a reason against it)
creatine
multivitamin
something for your joints. MSM, glucosamine and chondroiton is what im using atm.

Remember to eat a healthy balanced diet full of proteins.

Remember for carbs you need them for energy/calories when building muscle, when losing fat you don't want them cuz you want to burn through the fat, not the food you just ate. And yes you're very right that monitoring carbs both for more and less is a daily thing and a tricky thing and one of my biggest struggles. :\
Junk food for cals is bad. :\ ... but healthy food for carbs and cals is difficult!

Also, please take a protein thing post workout. That is when your body is trying to rebuild the fastest! A bit of energy and a bit more protein makes sense to me.

Here's the drill:
protein (I reccomend wpc, unless you have a reason against it)
creatine
multivitamin
something for your joints. MSM, glucosamine and chondroiton is what im using atm.

Remember to eat a healthy balanced diet full of proteins.

Remember for carbs you need them for energy/calories when building muscle, when losing fat you don't want them cuz you want to burn through the fat, not the food you just ate. And yes you're very right that monitoring carbs both for more and less is a daily thing and a tricky thing and one of my biggest struggles. :\
Junk food for cals is bad. :\ ... but healthy food for carbs and cals is difficult!

Also, please take a protein thing post workout. That is when your body is trying to rebuild the fastest! A bit of energy and a bit more protein makes sense to me.

the bold is 100% incorrect.
Carbs wont make you fat.

Lol so much bro science in this thread...

The majority here have it right. Fishoil, multi. When you start getting sore joints look into glucosamine. A good protein powder to have after your workouts, or you could just have a meal. You could have the wpc before bed too.

@kwey, your body doesn't repair itself only post workout, it's for the next week. What we do post workout is minuscule in the big scheme.

@op, no need to minor in the major shit. Sleep and food will do 90% of the work. A good fishoil, multi and wpc will serve you well, just like they would even If you weren't lifting.

I was just mind-f**ked by the idea of a random noob who can't even spell supplement, yet he's giving advice on it!!!

I bow down to you and you ability to spell words properly on an internet forum without mistake. You must be more experienced in this area then me. Please tell me the secrets of getting big.

If your diet is spot on with lots of fresh whole foods then no supps are required. If not then protein powder, fish oil and a multi-vitamin/mineral will help fill in some of the gaps.

A few different supplements can be essential in your quest, this depends on whether your body exceeds more than it is taking in, or for convenience. If you are truly taxing yourself at workout time, then not eating enough, resting etc will stop any gains dead in there tracks. Using different amino acids at different times of the day will help, but first, put in the hard work. Supplements are not the magic pill, even steroids cant be the magic pill for a lot of people. Workout what your goals are, arm yourself with knowledge, and lastly learn to eat clean, eating clean and balanced can almost tick every box, you wont need supplements then, however not everyone lives in the ideal world so i will give you the lowdown.

Fish oil
Multi vitamin
CQ10
Glutamine
Creatine
WPI and Caesin
Beta Alanine
Arginine
HMB

source your own amino's and proteins in bulk, i use and recommend Bulk Nutrients, works out cheaper, no salesman rubbish, no cheap fillers and additives.

Keep it all simple, workout hard, eat clean and well and get rest, if you are still taxed and not making gains then go over your diet and workout your calorie maintenance, add calories to gain weight, less calories or more cardioto loose weight, sounds simple.

AZZA