• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

So I look like a pregnant Ethiopian (and squats are hard!)

merlin6014

Been training for 5 months now. However only started Rippetoes SS program 2 weeks ago. Been seeing decent strength gains (though coming off a very weak base).

Squat went from 30kg to 60kg at present
Bench went from 40kg to 60kg at present
Military Press went from 20kg to 40kg at present
BB Rows went from 45kg to 60kg at present
Deadlift went from 40kg to 100kg at present
Chins went from zero to now can do 2 sets of 8.
Dips went from zero to now can do 2 sets of 8.

All of these numbers are still increasing each session though I am really struggling getting above 60kg with squat which from what I read is very weak compared to my other numbers.

Now on to my pregnancy...I started at a bodyweight 65kg (yes tiny) and 22% body fat gone to 73kg and 19% body fat since starting weights. I am only 5"7' and 31 year old male. If you saw me in the street you would describe me as "skinny short dude".

My problem is (when I take my shirt off) I literally look about 5 months pregnant - just have this huge mass of fat around my waist (aka spare tyre) however I can suck it in and look great! But if you saw me in any form of clothing I look like a little skinny dude and people will not believe me when I tell them I am obese! I have seen decent muscle increases in my chest, arms, neck ect since starting training but my belly just grows.

My goal is to weigh 80kg with 15% body fat or less and a 34 inch or less waist (currently 37 inch waist!) - and obviously have big muscles too...dar.

I am just very confused with my diet at the moment. If you read the Rippetoe stuff and listen to the internets I should be eating say 5000 calories a day. But with my belly is this wise? Could not the workouts themselves simply be powered by my pregnancy?

A typical day looks like 5 weetbix for breakfast, 40g of WPI shake for morning tea, 2 wholemeal salami sandwiches for lunch, 40g WPI milk shake afternoon tea, steak and veggies for dinner.

What say you?

Dunno much about nutrition, its my weak point......But I know this, if you are described as a little skinny dude, than EAT MORE. No point cutting up on nothing huh, eat and build, that there is your goal, once you get a heap more muscle mass your bodies composition will change, believe me mine did and I eat HEAPS. So stick it out mate, don't be impatient.

Dunno much about nutrition, its my weak point......But I know this, if you are described as a little skinny dude, than EAT MORE. No point cutting up on nothing huh, eat and build, that there is your goal, once you get a heap more muscle mass your bodies composition will change, believe me mine did and I eat HEAPS. So stick it out mate, don't be impatient.

I disagree

I disagree

Well care to elaborate for him (and I) than?
I pretty much did that and it worked so far, but I still got along way to go, and like I said nutrition is definitely not my strong point. But if he is very skinny, he needs to eat for lean body mass, not reduce caloric intake, well this is how I understand it.

Graeme

Well care to elaborate for him (and I) than?
I pretty much did that and it worked so far, but I still got along way to go, and like I said nutrition is definitely not my strong point. But if he is very skinny, he needs to eat for lean body mass, not reduce caloric intake, well this is how I understand it.

Graeme

Easy tiger, I disagree that you think you do not know about nutrition :)

So whats the consensus? I read that link Shrek provided and made a spreadsheet of my maintenance calories = 2518 calories per day. According to that link I could eat 10% below but maintain 144g of protein per day to lose fat and still gain muscle (although slowly).

So eat 10% below, eat maintenance or eat 10% above?

Yeah definatly not impatient - will power is my strong point so I can stick out the workouts and stick to a diet its just what diet as per my post above.

Squat
Milk
don't worry about the details, just eat.

72 hour protien surge...
First, I would stock up the fridge on quality proten items such as soft boiled eggs, chicken breasts, swiss cheese, sirloin burgers, and would put all of this in a large tupperware container in the fridge and during the day would snack out of it, at least every hour would eat 2 eggs, or one of the meat items and then at night, would get up and eat as well.

In addition, would eat regular meals, usually big salads and tons of fresh vegetables and maybe some brown rice.

I would also take a high fiber supplement as well.

This worked especially well when I had been training real hard for the previous 4-6 weeks and had hit a plateau.

this worked especially way over three day weekends.

The results, I always achieved incredible solid muscle and strength gains in the weeks following this eating plan.

Mate it is simple, if you want to focus on growing and MAXIMIZING LBM, consume a 10% surplus and don't stress about bodyfat gain (which at a tops 10% surplus will not be a great deal).

Other wise if you want to get leaner and AT LEAST maintain LBM (if not grow a little, slowly) do a no larger than 10% deficit.

At your current bodyfat, you could easily do the drop BF and gain LBM. Once you are pushing 10% then the game changes.

Or you can do the whole cut/bulk cycles and at the end of the year have the same results. The choice is yours and comes down to your desired body composition and conditioning goals.

I am a bit simple...to clarify you are saying 10% surplus?

Also thank you to all the contributers for your help so far in this thread, the noobness in me appreciates it
Deficit....

Like I said in the final sentence, it comes back to your desired body composition and the time frame etc. Either focus on maximal LBM gains and minimal BF gains, or maximal BF loss with minimal LBM gains.

Hey Merlin, experiencing something very similar, most likely because I did a more than 10% surplus and all most of that turned into fat lol.

@MaxBrenner I read somewhere when you deplete your glycogen levels, your next source of energy will be from fat and protein. When you mention a 10% surplus in calories, will doing cardio after a workout or when glycogen levels have been depleted reduce the gains of fat? Just wanted to get my head around it and thanks for any help in advance :)