• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

SLDL vs Dead Lift.

k_21

Hi all,

Need some clarification on what the difference
between SLDL and Dead Lifts are?

Had a look at YouTube but can't seem to figure
out how it differs.

Please elaborate so that I don't muck it up.

Thanks
Devante.

Knees are bent in deadlift. Allows you to use the quads off the floor. If knees are already extended you can't use the quads, so a SLDL uses only hamstrings and back.

while we are on the topic which do you think works back better or is much of a muchness?
or could you alternate each back day one week sldl and other normal dl?

Knees are bent in deadlift. Allows you to use the quads off the floor. If knees are already extended you can't use the quads, so a SLDL uses only hamstrings and back.

Ah so keep legs 'straight' when doing SLDL!.. Ah got
it.

Thanks
Devante.

Don't lock out the knee, just keep it a tad bent to take pressure off the lumber and to engage the hamstring.

It's a superior exercise to strengthen those areas.

Its a STIFF leg deadlift, not straight leg deadlift.

A slight bend in the knee but the movement should be almost totally through the hips.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25oSuCz78IM]YouTube - SLDL[/ame]

Hows my form looking on SLDL?

Technique isn't too bad mate. Something I did notice that your back could be a good bit tighter.

It is good to see that the bar stays in close contact to your COG (center of gravity)...your legs.

All up, pretty good mate. Good work.

Technique isn't too bad mate. Something I did notice that your back could be a good bit tighter.

It is good to see that the bar stays in close contact to your COG (center of gravity)...your legs.

All up, pretty good mate. Good work.

Thanks for advice and feedback. Ill make sure to keep my back tighter next time.

Use the foreground of the video to guide you with where your back stops being straight. You'll notice that as you reach a certain depth, when the biggest plate dips under the foreground that your back curves just a bit.

VG.
Keep your head down and still bud, maintaining the backs natural curvature includes includes the bit attached to your skull.

Use the foreground of the video to guide you with where your back stops being straight. You'll notice that as you reach a certain depth, when the biggest plate dips under the foreground that your back curves just a bit.

Yeah i see what you mean, i won't go that deep.

VG.
Keep your head down and still bud, maintaining the backs natural curvature includes includes the bit attached to your skull.

Do you mean i look at the ground as in keep my head down?

cripes what gym do you go to LMD, enough machines there to sink a battle ship

Yeah close to the wall is where i stay (benches, dumbbells, racks, chin ups ect.)

After just trying them out with no bar infront of the mirror, i realise once i get to a certain stage my butt will actually tuck a bit.

What's the difference between the two as far as muscles used goes? SLDL uses more hammies and less lower back?

Also, are SLDL's generally considered less taxing than proper DLs?

Last edited:
I find it easier to keep my back straight if I keep my eyes fixed to a spot on the wall in front of me.

The most important thing is obviously keeping the back tight and NOT locking out the knees.