• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

SLDL and grip

L

lazy

Does anyone have a cure for grip when doing SLDL's.

10:30am today 3x8 80kg
Warm up 5x60kg (4 mins rest)
8x80kg (5 mins rest)
5x80kg (not due to grip)

On my third attempt this is when things went wrong
3x80kg (slip)
1x80kg (slip)
2x80kg (slip then 6 mins break)
4x80kg (I give up)

And its a good bar too,
75970588.jpg

it sticks to your skin but in my case I have really weak hand grip, DL's is a different story.... and this gym doesn't allow chalk:(.

My question is and I know what Markos thinks but at least use straps for my last set? or is there anything else I can do to improve grip?

Don't use straps. Your grip will only get weaker, or at least not get stronger. Just keep going and your grip will get better.

Do you use a mixed grip? One hand over and one hand under?

alt_grip.jpg

You could also try re-gripping after every 3 reps and try adding an extra rep without re-gripping every week or two? Grip strength takes a while to come to you. Chalk makes it amazingly better.

Don't use straps. Your grip will only get weaker, or at least not get stronger. Just keep going and your grip will get better.

Do you use a mixed grip? One hand over and one hand under?

alt_grip.jpg

No, just for DL, not SLDL.

Lazy, here's a way to get a strong grip: it's you against the clock.

Pick up a weight 1 inch off the rack and hold it for dear life, aiming for sets of whatever seconds you've set your target at.

Example: 100kg x 10 seconds (6x10s) that’s 6 sets x 10 seconds hold. The weight you lift has to be at least what you're repping with and not some light weight. If your best 1RM is 120kg, then lift it one inch off the pins and hold it there.

PS: use some chalk to prevent the bar from slipping due to perspiration.

Fadi.

Do you include the bar in your numbers? there s 100kg on that rack!

I dont include the bar, it has weight but its not that heavy.

Josh_GTiR: Is there a reason why some people dont do mixed grip with SLDL?

Kyle Aaron: I just started doing pull ups, at the moment I can do half a pull up lol (its a wide V bar).

Fadi: they dont allow chalk but I will try that.

I like straps with deadlifts. If i wanted to work on my grip i wouldnt do it with deadlifts. Thats just my opinion. I never used to like straps but using them for awhile really changes your views on them.

I like straps with deadlifts. If i wanted to work on my grip i wouldnt do it with deadlifts. Thats just my opinion. I never used to like straps but using them for awhile really changes your views on them.

What would you use to strengthen your grip? Straps should not be used with deadlifts if you are interested in building strength.

Ok, next time I will use DL grip for SLDL.

I think there is a reason why some people use the standard grip for SLDL but when you think about it arms are used has hooks.

yeah some of the plates i use arent that heavy so i dont include them

I dont count them because to me it doesn't matter, it would if I was visiting different gyms, also I dont know how much they weight but when I find sometime I can weight them and post each individual bar weight on my log thread.

count the bar man... everyone else does. it has weight and youre picking it up, thus it counts.