• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

SLDL advice

morgan000

Hey guys,

I am recovering from a torn hamstring. Going to physio and all that for treatment and I've been doing strengthening exercises for it. One of the exercises is SLDL however I'm not feeling it in my hamstring. I feel it in my lower back.

I'm doing leg press, followed by single standing leg curls then SLDL. I do 3 sets of between 15 to 20 on each. Progressing nicely on the first 2 exercises but I just cant get the SLDL right. Even the following day, my lower back feels wrecked but my hammies don't feel a thing. Is there any technique with the SLDL where I can just isolate it so I can really feel it in my hammies? I know stiff leg means slightly bent but when I look in the mirror, my knees are probably about 20 to 30 degrees bent. My hammies have shit flexibility which I am working on through stretching and so on.

Thanks for any help.

Are you rounding your back? If so your lower back will feel it more.

Got a vid?

Make sure you're keeping your core tight when doing the SLDL and post a video of your form

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk 2

Bend at the hip.

Stick your arse back as you bend over.

Keep your legs straight and stiff, if anything a very slight bend.

But your aim is to bend over with straight legs.

if your flexibility is lacking just do the romanian version. I know thats what I do (as I can't reach the feet with my hands just yet without rounding my back)

if your flexibility is lacking just do the romanian version. I know thats what I do (as I can't reach the feet with my hands just yet without rounding my back)

Same. I get a better stretch and contraction in my hams this way aswell. Thr bar only goes as low as my shin, back stays flat/arched, ass out, knees slightly bent..

I haven't got a vid mainly coz I go at 4.30 am and no one around to take one. Now reading everyones replies and thinking about it, my back is flat and my arse is out but once I get sort of close to my ankles, say between my shins and ankles my back does round out and my knees start to bend a bit more. I might give the Romanian version a go and see how I go.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

you really need to concentrate on flexing at the hips and pushing your ass back.

the fact that you feel it in your back and not your hams is a sign that you are bending slightly from your back.

for me i really have to think about it, keep my core tight and push my ass back, i can feel it instantly in my hams

Thanks for the advice on this one too, as a beginner ive been having a little trouble getting SLDL/romanian technique down 100%, not feeling it in the hams much.

Push your ass back, keep your back tight as (almost hyper extended if need be), flex your triceps to keep your arms straight and glide the bar down along your thighs and as far down your shins as you can whilst keeping the above form. I'll be surprised if you can't feel it in the hammies if you do it properly.

Yeah I tried it yesterday and all is good. Kept my back straight, arse out and slowly lowered the bar until the top part of my shins and I felt it. Like I said my flexibility is crap and working through my injury so I was just doing reps of 20 with the bar itself. Will put some weight on in the next few days and keep going.

Well I've torn it 10 years ago sprinting with a mate at Maroubra beach at night and I guess I didn't follow through with the physio and exercises back then as I was young and silly. However on the Good Friday of this year that came back to haunt me as I was sprinting with my brother at a park and I tore it again. I've been seeing a physio since, my second physio because the first one I felt was useless. From past experience physio's are meant to be brutal and do a really deep tissue massage however the first one was more of a rub down and I felt it was taking ages to heal so I moved on. The second one is really painful but I can feel improvements and he's been giving me those exercises as described above so happy with the progress so far.