• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Skinny Man puts on 10kgs - wants to keep gaining!

D

daftpunker

Hello All

I am trying to put on size and this is my current routine. i see that everyone keeps saying to use compound movements for gaining, and limit the use of isolation excercises, but i dont know if my balance is sufficient. Also, im not sure if i am matching up the correct muscle groups on training days. all comments and suggestions are appreciated. Keep in mind I have been weight training for about 12 months now, am 22 years old, and have gone from 55kgs to 65kgs in that time, so I’ve got a pretty slight frame.

DAY ONE

CHEST
DB Flat Bench 3x6
DB Incline Bench 3x6
DB Flies 3x6-8

TRIS
EZ Bar French Press 3x6
EZ Bar Close Grip Bench Press 3x6

ABS

DAY TWO

BACK
Close Grip Chin Ups 3 x max
One Arm DB row 3x6-8
Bent Over BB Row 3x8
Seated Cable Row 3x10
(is this too much back?)

BIS
EZ Bar Preacher Curls 3x6-8
DB Seated Incline Hammer Curls 3x6-8

ABS

DAY THREE

LEGS
Squats 3x10

SHOULDERS
Military Press 3x8
Lat raise 3x8 (don’t know if this should be done for back or shoulders)
(Don’t know what else to do for shoulders – help!)

ABS

I am eating heaps, as much as I can. (I can affored to do this as I am naturally skinny) and am taking VitalStrength Rapid Weight Gainer twice a day - once mid morning between breakfast and lunch, and once after training at night (or before bed on non training days)

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers, DaftPunker

At the moment I have legs on a seperate day to everything else cause they are such a big group of muscles, and it seems to be working. Thats just me tho Im sure some of the experienced guys will be able to help more I only started lifting weights in October 2008 so your way ahead of me haha.

I'll just say one thing because I'm pressed for time.
Why are you happy to do 9 sets for chest anbd 6 sets on tris yet only 3 for the largest muscle quads? No to mention hammies and calves which you have neglected

Thats why I'm asking the questions Shrek. Just here to learn. That makes sense though. Wasn't as concerned to build up legs to begin with, as I'm never going to be a professional body builder and everyone has different goals. Mine was to concentrate on upper body to begin with, but I always did some sort of leg excericise as I've always heard it was important. I am probably ready to include more now, any suggestions?

Last edited:
Eat Kangaroo!!!
The 4 little sausages I'm eating now have 57g of protein and less than 3g of fat.
If you don't like Kangaroos then drink plenty of milk.
Eat real food, get rid of the weight gainer.
Diet > Training, so make sure you eat big to grow.

Haha, Kangaroo hey, I'l give it a shot.

Cheers Hulk :)

Thats why I'm asking the questions Shrek. Just here to learn. That makes sense though. Wasn't as concerned to build up legs to begin with, as I'm never going to be a professional body builder and everyone has different goals. Mine was to concentrate on upper body to begin with, but I always did some sort of leg excericise as I've always heard it was important. I am probably ready to include more now, any suggestions?
Ok my suggestion is that you train 3 x per week doing full body for 3 months or until the gains slow up. Something like this

Day1
Squat x 4
Bench x 4
Barbell Row x 4
Abs

Day 2
Deadlift x 4
SLDL x 2
Miltiary press x 4
Calf raise x 3

Day 3
Squat x 4
Incline Press x 4
Chin Up or Pulldowns x 4
Barbell or dumbell Curl x 2
Dips or Skull Crushers x 2

Warm up thoroughly first. Stick to 6-12 rep range. If you get 12 easily go up in weight.

You can do cardio for 20 mins after workouts or on off days.
Eat a high protein mod carbs mod fat diet.
Hope that helps.

congrats man for increasing your weight by 10 kgs extra i know how hard it can be.
well i know for one thing that your gains will be minimal without incorporating deadlifts and squats!.
if you keep reading squats is the king of all exercises i try and do them at least twice a week in conjunction with my other parts. slowly overall frame is getting better. i mite try shreks suggestion as part of my workouts but whats SLDL ( stiff legged dead lifts???)

How tall are you?

Edit (at above): I couldn't do squats today as much lower back was really sore from pushing deadlifts hard yesterday lol, did leg press instead and felt guilty

How tall are you?

Edit (at above): I couldn't do squats today as much lower back was really sore from pushing deadlifts hard yesterday lol, did leg press instead and felt guilty
Then have a day off after deads or re-arrange your program to avoid legs after back day. You coul've done chest or shoulders.

congrats man for increasing your weight by 10 kgs extra i know how hard it can be.
well i know for one thing that your gains will be minimal without incorporating deadlifts and squats!.
if you keep reading squats is the king of all exercises i try and do them at least twice a week in conjunction with my other parts. slowly overall frame is getting better. i mite try shreks suggestion as part of my workouts but whats SLDL ( stiff legged dead lifts???)

cheers mate, yea it was pretty tough. always found it hard to put on weight. i have only now got a BMI rating that is in the "healthy" range, as opposed to the "underweight" range i was stuck in for years.

Shreks workout suggestion looks really good, will definately give it a shot. and yes, i definately need to increase my legs workout. last time a trainer at the gym gave my a full body program I gave it up after a few weeks as it was just burning me out by the end of the workout and i was barely working my muscles. i think it was way too intense for me, it had about 10 excercises and they were all supersets. shreks looks much better, heaps of compound movements.

Deads used to get my lower back to which is why i stopped doing them. Im not sure if i was doing them right :S

cheers mate, yea it was pretty tough. always found it hard to put on weight. i have only now got a BMI rating that is in the "healthy" range, as opposed to the "underweight" range i was stuck in for years.

Shreks workout suggestion looks really good, will definately give it a shot. and yes, i definately need to increase my legs workout. last time a trainer at the gym gave my a full body program I gave it up after a few weeks as it was just burning me out by the end of the workout and i was barely working my muscles. i think it was way too intense for me, it had about 10 excercises and they were all supersets. shreks looks much better, heaps of compound movements.

hahaha i understand mate, my bmi was 19.8 @ 5ft 8. i remember almost 5 months ago before i started training so i definately think you've done well from a skinny guys point of view.
i dont see the point in super sets really , i've had a quick increase in mass and some definition but burnt out after 3 weeks. i really think you need to do what you feel is right for your body .
mate definately do your legs its the best feelings after a couple of weeks to do them. BIIIGGGG SQUATS

19.8, wow, yea, i wouldve been about the same. i think i'm on about 22 now. I think I'll get on the leg excercises. I'm already doing squats, with the assisted machine thing (is it called the smith machine?)

Shrek suggested squats, deadlifts, and calf raises. i will give those a try. always been a bit worries about doing deadlifts though, i can see that if you dont do them just right you can strain your back. guess i can start with low weights. are there any other good leg excercises you would recommend?

how has your training gone in the last 5 months anyway?