• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

ski vs snowboard

Brick

Tried snowboarding on the weekend have always skied on previous trips. I enjoy wakeboarding and used to skateboard so it was a given that I would probably like snowboarding. Gotta say I think I prefer skiing.

Probably the part that really didn't float my boat was that unless travelling downhill you have to unclip a binding skate where you want to go then clip back up to ride the fucking board, got very annoying very quickly. You spend alot of time on your arse in the snow doing up your bindings.

very fun to ride downhill but I didn't think it was that much better then skis. Whats the general concensus here ski's vs. snoiwboards hit me with your opinions. Going to go to either NZ or Japan next year and really not sure which option I will choose to ride while there.

Skiing is easier to pickup compared to snowboarding, and yeah it's a pain when you have to clip/unclip your bindings but I prefer snowboarding any day of the week, with skiing if you stack it hard enough then you lose your skis anyway

I feel like there is more you can do snowboarding but it all comes down to preference

Japan and Canada are two places I want to go, Its funny how going to nz can be the same price if not cheaper than Australia and the snow is better too

I suck at both but suck a little less at snowboarding, although since doing my knee a couple of times playing football i havent been able to do either skiing or snowboarding as it just isnt worth the pain....

But i did find it much easier to pick up snowboarding although the clipping and unclipping from bindings can become a drag as stated....

Skiing is easier to pickup compared to snowboarding

I disagree completely. I've been skiing for about 35 years, snowboarding about 20 (late 80's) and to ski well is far harder than boarding IMO. Skiiing with technique and really being able to hold it together, in control and ski properly, takes years and years of practice. Boarding you can pick up and be running in one afternoon and not many people are going to take style points off you if you don't stand upright, keep your knees bent or crash out at the bottom of a run.

Try teaching someone one day - skiing v boarding. See who picks it up faster.

I've skiied in NZ (Ruapehu) and Japan (Hakuba) and I boarded both as well. I always prefer boarding, unless I'm with a large group who want to tour around and do lots of traversing or treeline stuff. As you already know, traversing on a board is a pain the arse and doing it for a whole day, and trying to keep up with good skiers on narrow trails or slightly uphill courses, is an exercise in frustration.

I'd pick Niseko in Hokkaido, Japan for the great powder they have, but you can heli-ski/board cheaper in NZ than anywhere in the world.

Tough choice. :)

from what i've gathered, as a comparison between the two

skiiing is easier to learn than snowboarding and harder to get good at
snowboarding is harder to learn than skiiing and easier to get good at

im a snowboarder and have been for 10 yrs.. skied before that and was pretty decent at skiing prior to the change.
i love surfing and skating so for me to go to the snowbaord was just a natural progression. i enjoy it a lot and get up to snow as often as i can. as living in canberra its only 2hrs away and having a season pass is great.

its not that often you see a really good skier though.. when you do they stand out and i appreciate and completeyl respect the good skier. seeing some dude belting down a run, legs close together and just bouncing through the turns is a good site to see.

one day i may go back to the skis but for now, i love boarding, i love the free ride style. strapping in all the time isnt a issue for me, can get it done while standing up and takes only 10 seconds.

im a snowboarder and have been for 10 yrs.. skied before that and was pretty decent at skiing prior to the change.
i love surfing and skating so for me to go to the snowbaord was just a natural progression. i enjoy it a lot and get up to snow as often as i can. as living in canberra its only 2hrs away and having a season pass is great.

its not that often you see a really good skier though.. when you do they stand out and i appreciate and completeyl respect the good skier. seeing some dude belting down a run, legs close together and just bouncing through the turns is a good site to see.

one day i may go back to the skis but for now, i love boarding, i love the free ride style. strapping in all the time isnt a issue for me, can get it done while standing up and takes only 10 seconds.
And you're lucky you live so close to the snow. Envious!

Snowboard for the WIN!!!! Broke my back ( compression wedge fracture) in 2004...

Anyone else skied off the back of mount perisher???? From the bottom it takes about half an hour to work your way out and you end up at Guthega base lodge...

Don't let ski patrol see you cross the boundary... They will take your ski pass and kick you off the mountain...

Nazzy I trekked part of that mountain....... it's a goddam killer!
Looks harmless enough lol

You spend alot of time on your arse in the snow doing up your bindings.

if you're spending a lot of time on your arse then you're doing it wrong. clipped-in heel goes "kick-kick" into the snow to delicately wedge the board in place, put your boot in, clip in, ride away. if you dedicate 1 day as "no sitting down" day, by the end of that day you will be proficient and will never be stuck on your arse ever again. very worthwhile investment.

We've got two legs for a reason!

I ski. Tried boarding once, but cracked a rib on the first day. Kept going for the week but the rib made it hard to do much. Went back on ski's the next year - was much happier.

I'll try boarding again sometime.