• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Simple query

E

eric_c

Hey guys,

I'm sorta new to this body building thing and i was thinking about buffing up but i'm a little confused to what everyone keeps telling me i.e. how many reps to do, which exercises are the best etc. I have a pretty fast metabolism and so far its been pretty hard for me to build much.
I was just wondering does anyone have any hints or ideas they could lend me?

Thanks in advance:D

Welcome Eric to ausbb.

What's your current weight, height, eating plan, and exercise routine?

HAHA,

You need to EAT and LIFT. Pretty simple really.

Answer Katie's questions and we can sure assist you in what you want to achieve.

guys i think he wants a structed type of beginners routine both training and nutrition. simply EAT and LIFT in my opinion does not cut it for a beginner. they need it explained.

You have to tell us about yourself. You tell us where you are now and where you want to get to, and then we can advise you on how to get there.
  • What is your height and weight?
  • How many pushups, situps, squats and inverted rows can you do?
  • Can you run 5km without stopping, and if so how quickly?
  • Can you touch your toes, and touch your hands together behind your back, one from underneath and one from the top?
  • Do you have any dietary restrictions, anything you cannot or will not eat?
  • Have you done sports or any other kind of physical activity in the past, if so what, how much and for how long?
  • Can you join a gym (can you afford it, is there one close enough, etc), and/or can you get some home gym equipment?
  • Exactly what do you want to achieve with an exercise programme? Lose fat? Gain muscle? Strength for some sport? Improved flexibility? Better health? Big chesticles? Or...?
If you cannot do 20-30 each of pushups, situps, squats and inverted rows, run 5km without stopping, touch your toes and your hands together behind your back, then you need to build up to that. I give advice to a beginner on achieving that here. There is included general dietary advice, too.

Once you can do that, or if you can do it already, then take a look at stronglifts. This is a simple programme that you can download for free, and you should be able to follow with most gyms' equipment, or with your own equipment at a cost of around a year's gym membership. It will develop basic strength and put on some muscular weight for you, if you give it consistent effort.

Of course that's if you want strength and size... we don't know yet.

I can touch my toes, I can't touch my hands behind my back though. I used to be able to when I was younger, though I haven't been able to in a while.

Last edited:
Josh, that'll be because your chest is stronger than your back. So your pecs and front shoulder pull too hard and get in the way of putting your hands behind you.

A guy in my gym who's spent the last few years doing lots of bench press, skullcrushers and so on, not much back work (and that only cable machines) and little or no leg work (the occasional leg press), he tried to do a back squat the other day. He literally couldn't reach his hands to hold the bar on his shoulders, couldn't bring his hands further back than a few inches in front of his shoulders. He tried to blame an old shoulder injury, but that didn't explain the lack of flexibility in the the other shoulder.

You can improve your shoulder flexibility, and this certainly can't hurt your lifts. You should be stretching after every workout anyway :p

One of my training partners can't touch his toes, and he is 18 years old. Makes for horrible squat form. Strange that a bloke old enough to be his dad is more flexible than him :D

I have always done as much back stuff as chest stuff. I have actually never been a flexible person actually. I have always had that issue with not being able to touch my hands behind my back, long before lifting. I think it has something to do with the stance and poor posture required in skateboarding.

I am working on stretching it out though. I need more flexibility for Power Cleans, and I want to do overhead squats.

Sorry for my late reply guys ive been quite busy sorry,

Well my measurements are as follows im 70kgs , 182cm tall, so far i pretty much eat anything in particular cereal,pies,steak,rice,pasta and burgers and my main excercise routine consists of the following:

Chest - bench 50kgs @ 4-6 reps for 3 sets
Legs - squating 80kgs @ 10 reps for 3 sets
back- deadlifting 55kgs @ 10 reps for 3 sets
stomach - crunchs and situps around 25-30 reps for 3 sets

in regards to Kyle Aaron questions i can:
Do 20 pushups, 50 situps, not sure wat inverted rows are
I cant run 5km wihtout stopping
i Cant touch my toes but can touch my hands behind back
I prefer not to eat spicy foods
I used to play tennis and badmington and now i mainly play basketball
I have a gym @ my house
I want to basically build more size and stregnth and flexibility but at the same time retain speed and be able to jump high

Thanks in advance im very sorry for the late reply

Hi Eric

good on you for coming back and checking up on the thread. I'm sure you'll be able to get more specific responses now.

what kind of a gym do you have at your house? What do your free weights go up to?

(sorry, it seems I always ask more questions than give answers!)

I would add some Rows and some Military Press into that routine Eric. How often do you workout per week? I would suggest you need to eat more than you currently are to help put on some size and muscle. Do you know what your calorie intake is?

Thanks for your response, Eric. I guessed right, so I don't have anything to add to my earlier response, just consider I've said it again and read up on the links.