• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

shift work

R

RT

Having just started a new job i am now working night shift 11pm-7am , have been at it for 2 weeks now and only lift weights about two times a week not my regular routine just some general dumbbell and barbell work

One thing i have noticed is my diet is up the shift looking for stuff quick and easy.

Any other shift workers here , how do you manage ? Any tips?

Used to do shifts all over the place, not over night, but constantly changing during the week.

Found I had to plan- pack food, training gear, or train before and shower at gym.

Takes time, but gets easier.

I teach at uni and do night shifts at Aussie Post as a manager. The key is preparation. If you don't prepare you meals before you will eat trash. Same with your weight lifting - you need good sleep (doesn't matter WHEN but you need 8-10 hrs) and you need to try and train at the same time eat day you train so you can get into the new groove with this job. Once you have organised your life around the new job and settled into a routine you will be fine.

I have the problem of absolutely no routine. I am at Uni and do shift work as a casual nurse (so I could be doing morning, afternoon or night shift), and I have a little boy to look after as well. But as the saying goes 'where there's a will there's a way', I have membership at the gym at Uni as well as a home setup (which is semi-awesome now, thanks Hulk!).

Any spare moment I get I can go down to the dungeon and shift lumps of iron!

I too work full-time nights at Aussie Post. As the other guys have mentioned you need to get yourself organized, prepared and into a daily routine.

I like to have my next day planned out before I go to bed so I know exactly what I need to be doing and have done by a certain time. I find this helps me from getting slack and putting stuff off until later.

Good question mate. I used to do shift work and the guys are right, u have to plan. Diet is the problem. If u keep that good, then it could work to your advantage.

When u work Monday to friday, your body gets used to training at certain times, but with shift work, your body never gets used to training times, and is continually shocked.