• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Shift work Dieting/Training experience

Minnovz

Hi all first timer here,

Background; I've been working shifts for 9 years and competed in 14 BB comps in the last 7 years, I work 12hr shifts 7-7 2xdays 2xnights 5xdays off.

I'm interested to hear other peoples experiences or successful techniques pertaining to the art of Bodybuilding and the sorrows of shift work, also happy to answer any questions regarding my experiences.

Please feel free to post up any links to articles or studies of the same topic, although I feel its a very poorly covered topic.

cheers

I'll just day shift work sux. I did it about 20 years ago and although was only new to weight training I really struggled to train. You just gotta do the best you can and get into some sort of routine regarding sleeping and training.
All the best bud.

I work shift work. Doesn't stop me from training. I work a mix of mornings, evenings and nights. Just get it done.

when i was working night shift it knocked me around big time , diet was out of whack as i couldn't be bothered making a decent meal it was always something quick and easy

tried to hit the gym after work at 7am but sometimes it didn't quite work out

wasn't till i change positions and got into a better area of the factory that wasn't so demanding that i was able to get things under control

I'm a shift worker and did my first natural bodybuilding comp a month ago.

I found it very difficult towards the end of the diet, not going to piss and moan about all of the details but I won't be competing again until i'm back doing "normal" hours. Managed to snag 2nd on my first attempt while dealing with the shift work etc so hopefully next time i'll shit it in!

The biggest thing that has helped me is simply being organised, micro managing EVERYTHING lol.

Supplements are all in individual containers for every day that I work, every meal made and stacked per day in the fridge.

Shirts, pants, undies socks...the whole kit hung on individual coat hangers so I can just get up and go.

My husband is a shift worker and prepares his lunches and meals. The shift change wrecks him and is always too tired for exercise but does get 2 KB sessions in a week.

Cheers all,
Shift work certainly knocks you around and you never get accustomed to it.
Nutrition and Calculating macro intake can become difficult especially on my first and last night shift as I could be awake for 23hrs (which generally effects recovery after a big session). For comp prep over the years I've found keeping your carbs low and meals small in the early hours of the morning on night shift helps them to be eaten. Plus I don't want any blood sugar spikes due to the massive hormone swings that time of morning when we should be in deep sleep.

I've tried to train in the morning after a night shift a few times but they are always so unproductive I figure it's better I was sleeping! No standard training split applies to us shift workers so I just wing my own.

I'm interested how other fellow lifters would incorporate training their body parts into the training days I set out below;

Train......?
Train......?
Train......?
Train......?
Rest
Rest
Train......?
Rest
Rest
Repeat

Note: The rest days are the days I'm at work. Do you think there is too much or not enough training frequency?