• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Got your balls back mate? :p

Yeah, I found them in the wifes purse.

I was just planning on going 29, 30, 31, 32. Conservative maxes, I've been very lazy & had niggling injuries all year so coming back from nothing.

Relatively low % for bulk volume seems to be ALOT kinder to the body.

Yeah, I found them in the wifes purse.

I was just planning on going 29, 30, 31, 32. Conservative maxes, I've been very lazy & had niggling injuries all year so coming back from nothing.

Relatively low % for bulk volume seems to be ALOT kinder to the body.

Good thinking boss. Try not to get bored this time.

Dynamic work is another word for speed work. Eg, speed of pressing.

Louie Simmons prescribes a dynamic day. Russians just make every rep fast.

I've always had trouble getting this

Bench press for example:

Can you explain the concept?
You press a numbers of rep's really quick?
Does this supposedly make you stronger?

I've always had trouble getting this

Bench press for example:

Can you explain the concept?
You press a numbers of rep's really quick?
Does this supposedly make you stronger?

Its reinforces speed of movement I believe. You press all weights fast so that its reinforces the technique mentally and physically. Do I have science for this right now? No, but it does exist somewhere.

Never got much from it. My bench is balls though.

I just press everything with as much speed and force as possible.

Tim.

I don't see how that can possibly create more force from a motionless position.

I'll buy you a copy of the source material and sent it to you.
Josh Bryant in "Bench Press, the Science" states that for maximum power output, fast negatives with no pause were best. This was tested with a tendo unit. When pauses were added and negatives slowed down power output decreased.

This is the source material cited in this book.
Optimizing power output by varying repet... [J Strength Cond Res. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Fred Hatfield in his CAT book probably also has something to say but I don't care to look.
Bryant mentions you need to pracitce how you compete though. I think a good compromise is pausing everything 75% and over and the first rep only for everything under. Then you're used to unracking the bar, lowering, pausing and exploding then the rest is touch and go.

Food for thought anyway. I'll send you the book later.

Never got much from it. My bench is balls though.

I just press everything with as much speed and force as possible.

Tim.

To add, How much is on the bar dictates how fast it goes.

Question.
If your handling enough weight to complete ten reps, is it the speed of the movement or the force applied that's going to stimulate growth/strength?

I mean if your moving 80kg, the first 3 reps are going to be relatively easy, you could move quite fast, but you won't, the next 2 a little harder, the next 3 harder still but you are still moving as fast as you can, you are still applying force, the last 2, the speed of movement has really slowed significantly but you are still applying much force, until you stop, you can't push anymore.

It's those last two reps is where it all happens, you lost 80 to 90 % of your fresh strength of all available slow/fast twitch fibers of the muscle.

Question.
If your handling enough weight to complete ten reps, is it the speed of the movement or the force applied that's going to stimulate growth/strength?

I mean if your moving 80kg, the first 3 reps are going to be relatively easy, you could move quite fast, but you won't, the next 2 a little harder, the next 3 harder still but you are still moving as fast as you can, you are still applying force, the last 2, the speed of movement has really slowed significantly but you are still applying much force, until you stop, you can't push anymore.

It's those last two reps is where it all happens, you lost 80 to 90 % of your fresh strength of all available slow/fast twitch fibers of the muscle.

For speed work you're not looking at reaching muscular failure or stimulating growth, you're looking at reinforcing the movement patterns, activation of the fast twitch fibres and building power through the lift.

So for a speed bench session for example you would take that weight you could knock out for 10 reps and hammer out those three reps with great speed in the concentric, rest, and complete multiple sets while feeling quite fresh.

It could be even thought of as more skills training than actual strength training as it is usually done apart from the heavy bench session (for most western programs).

This is meerly the concept I have grasped of it, im sure theres something ive said wrong.

Question.

I agree, the money happens in the last few reps. Which is why rest/pausing and myoreps are so fucking good. I usually keep my workouts very fast paced. Change weights, drink water, adjust wrist wraps then go. With Sheiko it can be different though. It's complicated and you need to feel it out like a blind man at an orgy. Just don't go easy and fail to double your body count in a few hours because you're afraid of getting your dick in the wrong hole. You will fuck it up but you need to keep on trying and eventually you'll score it in the right hole.

For me, the entire warm-ups are fast paced then I'll take maybe a 5 minute break when the weights get heavy and then I'll go fast paced again with the heavy weights. So like BOOM, rest, BOOM

Just saw my thread was made into a sticky...noice!

P.S Shall be returning to Sheiko soon myself!

Sure was!
What are your goals with Sheiko? Compete, strength...?

Strength for rugby pretty much - When I was the Strength and Conditioning coach for a 1st grade rugby teams talent squad I used Sheiko mixed with some ideas from Joe Defranco and had great results with them..did something sim to this back in the day for myself so going to tweak it abit and make it just that bit harder...

Not sure if I have posted - Sheiko 4 week Bench Press Program -

Week 1
Monday – Flat bench press
1x5x50%, 1x4x55%, 1x3x60%, 2x3x65%, 2x2x75%, 1x2x80%, 2x2x75%, 2x3x65%, 1x5x60%, 1x10x50%

Wednesday – Close-grip bench press
1x5x40%, 1x5x50%, 1x4x55%, 1x4x60%, 2x3x65%, 2x3x70%

Friday – Flat bench press
1x5x50%, 1x4x60%, 6x3x70%

Week 2
1x5x50%, 1x4x55%, 1x3x60%, 2x3x65%, 2x2x75%, 2x2x80%, 1x2x85%, 2x2x80%, 2x2x75%, 2x3x65%, 1x5x60%, 1x8x55%, 1x10x50%

1x5x40%, 1x5x50%, 1x4x55%, 1x4x60%, 2x3x65%, 2x3x70%, 2x2x75%

Week 3
1x5x50%, 1x4x55%, 1x3x60%, 2x3x65%, 2x2x75%, 2x2x80%, 2x2x85%, 1x2x87.5%, 2x2x80%, 2x2x75%, 2x3x65%, 1x5x60%, 1x8x55%, 1x10x50%

1x5x40%, 1x5x50%, 1x4x55%, 1x4x60%, 2x3x65%, 2x3x70%, 2x2x75%

Week 4
1x5x50%, 1x4x55%, 1x3x60%, 2x3x70%, 2x2x75%, 2x2x87.5%, 2x2x75%, 2x3x70%, 1x5x60%, 1x10x50%

1x5x40%, 1x5x50%, 1x4x55%, 1x4x60%, 2x3x70%, 2x2x80%

Friday- Flat bench press
1x5x50%, 3x3x60%, 3x3x70%

Reckon you could run similar for squats tues, thurs, saturday?.

Squat prograns based off bench programs are all the rage arent they...?

Mate id give anything like that a good crack - Sheiko (all programs) are testing when you are just running the one - but fuck as I said its worth a go - prepare yourself to eat and have a crack.

Might even give it a go myself...

After the 4 weeks - do abit of a deload and then set up a mini comp for yourself - this is what I would do - so you can re-test your 1rm.

Last edited:

Why not just run a normal sheiko template?
Rugby's plan here is basically this without squats and deadlifts.

Tim.