• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Sedentry Lifestyle and weight loss.

Snoochies

What effects exactly does a sedentry lifestyle have on ones ability to lose weight.

I am looking into it more that sitting at a desk all day is now apparently as bad as smoking. Basically I drive to work, sit at a desk all day, drive home then workout. I have heard that the workout itself is not enough to compensate for the amount of time sitting down. Does sitting all ay effect your ability to burn calories?

After doing all the sums on calories, a person with my height and weight should be around 3000 cals for maintenance. I have previously reduced the cals to 2500 but found I was gaining strength comfortably and adding weight. Recently I dropped to 2000 cals and my weight maintained but still gained strength (not as quickly). This was on a keto diet as well. I had also been running twice a week, boxing and mma tabata style workout and my weight stayed the same.

At Christmas time and only last week I had holidays, through the diet out, drank beer, at icecream, pizza, sausage on bread (was camping), and come home and dropped 2 kilos. The difference being, I guess I am more active during the day on holidays even though no workouts were done.

In a nutshell, when I work, eat healthy and workout, I lose nothing. When I'm on holidays, eat crap and don't workout, I lose weight. :confused:

I read somwhere that being sedentry all day screws up the metabolism somehow and that I should actually be around the 1500 cals per day.

Take into account I am 35, 104kg and about 25% BF.

Thoughts?

My first question is how are you measuring your calories?
Are you weighing your food, or eye balling?

Do you have a rough guide on your diet? E.g break fast is X. Lunch is X of X meat with such and such.

I weigh 80 @ 24 and maintain my weigh with 2700.
Work at a desk (high stress).
And train 5 days no cardio.

If you have a spare $80, a dexa scan you would accurately calculate your resting metabolic rate.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Yeah have my food measured, no dramas there. When on keto I was hitting my targets frequently. Prior to that I was doing 40/40/20.

I have previously lost weight whilst being in this job a couple years ago when training for Tough Mudder. I was running alot and mainly doing body weight stuff and dropped 10kg's and I was eating 2000 cals then and got down to 93kg.

The second time I trained for Tough Mudder I was taking in 2500 cals and this is where my strength gains came back into the picture and I did the event at 102kg. Mind you I was in better shape/fitter/stronger at 102kg than 93kg but had put on fat as well.

My first question is how are you measuring your calories?
Are you weighing your food, or eye balling?

Do you have a rough guide on your diet? E.g break fast is X. Lunch is X of X meat with such and such.

I weigh 80 @ 24 and maintain my weigh with 2700.
Work at a desk (high stress).
And train 5 days no cardio.

If you have a spare $80, a dexa scan you would accurately calculate your resting metabolic rate.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

$80 for a dexa scan... I thought they were around the $250-$300 mark.

Anywhere in Brisbane that does them this cheap?/are they reliable for that price? lol

Il chime in here....

i also work in an office and have for the last 2 years.... Before this i used to work outside all day, ate what i want and didn't give a shit about my diet and was 25kg lighter......

Over the past 2 years i have tired alot of different calories ranges like yourself to try drop weight, but no luck at all.

The last 3 week i have been eating 1500-1600 calories a day and its worked wonders. already down close to 3kg.

Even though i train muay thai for 1.5 hours 6 days a week....most of the day is still sitting on my arse and typing, walking to the printer, and lifting weights in my lunch break every second day..

I also got a dexa scan that told me my BMR was 2108 calories, I was still maintaining weight eating at 2200......so i though fuck it.. drop it to 1500 and see how i go.

Once ive hit my goal weight il slowly increase and play around with the calories to maintain or slow bulk. will not be doing 1500 forever, just as long as it takes.

Time of my dexa at 1st December i was 98kg and 25% BF. lost fuck all weight until January trying out the calories range they set me ( 2500 and 2700) after i did a 3 week re feed over xmas, now sitting at 92kg so im doing something right.

i don't feel like im starving either.. if that was the case i would eat more.

Just diet on 2000-2500 cal or so if that doesnt work reduce. Not impossible to lose weight in a sedentary job, just eat less. Walking 30-45 mins 3 times a week will make a huge difference, too.

I've done it many times.

I went from a physical job (poor diet) to a office job (poor diet) and gained 80kgs in less than 2 years and spent 15 months to lose that.

You have to make time for exercise, a one hour workout is 4% of your day.

Try get up and move around, as much as you can, and track your calories with myfitneesspal website or something similar.

Replace all your liquids for just water.