• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Running is stupid...

I reckon you're right mate...I'm looking at something like swimming maybe for my fitness...I used to swim ALOT and I think I'll enjoy it more...I could barely walk on my left knee today and it's all started since this running caper

Pushies are good to mate, low impact.

Swimming
Boxing
Interval training on rowing machine, xtrainer - all good forms of cardiovascular exercise.

You'd enjoy boxing D1cko. Before busting my ribs, I was going to the ring 3 x a week. Its excellent for conditioning & strength. Best I've found to date in fact.

You'd enjoy boxing D1cko. Before busting my ribs, I was going to the ring 3 x a week. Its excellent for conditioning & strength. Best I've found to date in fact.

Boxercise is NOT boxing it is just a group of people flailing their arms around in timed intervals.

Boxercise is NOT boxing it is just a group of people flailing their arms around in timed intervals.

Errr I didn't say Boxercise. I don't do boxercise.

I train with an ex-boxer from West End Boxing. One on one. Bag, ring, sparring, landing & balance.

Sometimes I sparr with a 46yo man who used to be a boxer once upon a time. I am the only woman he trains :cool:

Errr I didn't say Boxercise. I don't do boxercise.

I train with an ex-boxer from West End Boxing. One on one. Bag, ring, sparring, landing & balance.

Sometimes I sparr with a 46yo man who used to be a boxer once upon a time. I am the only woman he trains :cool:

Cool good on ya, I bet the old pugs love having a chick to perve on. In my experience boxing gyms are always filled with lecherous old degenerates and brothel creepers, pretty much what I love about them.

lol the lads who run the gym are brothers & both title winners, I think Kamran still competes actually.

Its sweaty & smells of bloke. But it kicks my arse & I credit the training not only for my fitness levels, but for my epic delt development. My guns are fucking tight & defined. After the fat arse I used to be, I would never have thought it possible lol

Boxing is my fetish. I like unleashing spartan rage. The boys christened me 'Little Concrete Fist' - I have a bitch of a right hook lol

Mmmm boxing...sounds like a good idea!

Strips fat like a human sized potato peeler too! Its got everything, cardio intensity & endurance/strength training/coordination, flexibility & mobility. I have been on this physical improvement train for almost two years & have tried almost everything. Boxing, as well as weight lifting = total body recomp & absolute fitness.

My boobs are too big for distance running, I'm lucky hill sprints don't put me in a back brace lol & my ankles couldn't handle long distances. But I can guarantee you, whilst still a way off perfection, I am the fittest person I know :p

Also, giving your boxing coach a black eye on your second session is deeply gratifying :D

Funny that you mention this. .. there was an article on circuit training on t nation this morning. .. looks like fun

I think you're meant to call it t-bag nation, besides that some of them looked decent. If l was taking getting into 'shape' semi seriously id do more of the barbell complex's like Defranco #8 l think it is... SLDL -> BOR -> Hang Clean -> Ohp -> Squat. Do each for 10 reps and do as many sets as you can l guess at 'x' weight then up the weight / sets or reps next time.

Cosgrove Evil 8

90 seconds between rounds
6 rounds
first round starts at 6 reps each. second round 5 reps, third for 4 etc .

Circuit:
Deadlift
Romanian Deadlift
Bentover Row
Power Clean
Front Squat
Push Press
Back Squat
Good Morning

T NATION | Screw Cardio! Four Complexes for a Shredded Physique

There is a leaderboard on the strength section set up by Hamburglar for max weight used for 1 round of 8 reps.

I personally do this for three rounds of 10 reps.

Here is one.
Take each exercise to complete fatigue or as close as you get.

Squat x 20
Pull x 12
Push x 12
Squat x 15
Pull x 10
Push x 10
Squat x 10
Pull x 8
Push x 8
Farmers x 20 mtrs

That's it, should take about 12-15 minutes
Very simple but brutal.

and yep I live 500m from the beach so I'm going to do that, when I'm up and camp I'll run on the grass instead of the pavement

Go the beach. Percy Cerutty used to run Australia's best middle distance runners to death on the sand.

If you run on the grass try to run on a playing field or golf course. With grass there can sometimes be holes in the ground that the grass covers which leads to twisted ankles.

Here is a web page with 2 links to some good videos
Science of Running: Percy Cerutty, Running Form

Last edited:
I need some general advice on knees...
I have started running to get a bit of fitness in addition to my strength training. I also thought I'd like to give tough mudder a crack.
Trouble is, my left knee gets so painful...it's probably a combination of past football, and me being rather heavy.
Could it be my running style? It just feels like I'm really plodding/pounding hard into the pavement when I jog. And when I sprint I feel fine, but I can't keep up that sort of pace for 10k's (my goal)...as soon as I slow to a jog, that heavy pounding feeling goes through my knee again :(
Any idea's??

I have not read through all the answers, so if this has been said already well here it is again.

I recon start running on a tread mill, I am heavy and been doing a LOT of running lately, well a lot for me anyway :p(between 5-7km per day). My tread mill says that it reduces impact by 300%, due to inbuilt suspension system, I think most tread mills have this now. I also wear good running shoes that I exclusively use on the tread mill.

Seems to stop any knee pains I used to get road running last time I tried running.

My 2 tips for running awesomeness

1. Get glute dominant.
2. Stay on your forefoot.

While running on sand will work you hard, it's quad dominant so probably won't help anyone with knee pain a great deal.