• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

"Rule of Thumbs"

Max is actually playing his first game of soccer since August last year today, thats 7 months.

His vertical is good, one step hangs off the ring at 176cm, comfortably. Last time it was measured at school, standing vert was 7x cm, I forget how much, should be over 75cm now.

His sprinting is amazing. With a stop watch I have him at 2.69 for the 20m.

A couple of boys that have played TAC reckon thats ambitious, I agree.

They have been electronically timed at 2.84. A year ago, when Max was weaker and slower, he smashed them in 6 consecutive 20m sprint racers.

The AFL draft record is 2.79 by Pierce of Port Adelaide.

He has never trained the beep test, never gone for a run, but managed 14.1 on grass in boots last year, I'd imagine a 15 would be possible on a BB court in sneakers with a little training. He ran State Cross country when he was 12.

As far as MMA goes, lol, he is too nice a boy, nowhere near mean enough, he would get destroyed, those guys have something special.

He is a well rounded athlete, not excellent at anything, just good at most things.

he turned 18 yesterday

Happy birthday to max :)

And I trust a nice bloke whose Dad is very proud of him...On ya.

Picking up on Kyle's comments, I'm the 43yo, no training or exercise for 20 years, sedentary lifestyle, with different goals and expectations of what I might lift.

I want to be fit and strong, but it is unlikely I will achieve the factors you blokes are talking about. However for me maybe Squat 1.25 bench 1 and MP .75 and DL 1.5 would be achievable (although I hate the MP, find it so hard).

That would mean my goals should be as follows:
SQ 100kgs
BP 80kgs
MP 60kgs
DL 120kgs

Thanks for the thread, that;s what I'm gunna aim at by the end of 2010.

Heres a heads up Rev.

James, who is a member on here (monkeyman) started lifting at PTC at 60 years of age. Had never lifted weights, stop exercising at high school.

He is now 61, has trained 3 times a week at PTC for 14 months. He is competing at the CAPO state titles next weekend. His best lifts are, at 61

Squat 150kg
Bench 95kg
Deadlift 192.5kg

Imagine if he started as young as you. He has already beaten cancer and had other ailments I wont discuss that you wouldnt wish on anyone.

He will have 4 National Powerlifting Titles next week, thank God (pun intended) he didnt have anyone set limitations for him like youve set for yourself.

Oh, I had 8 years off, severed my pec and never repaired it, and at 45 benched 150kg, squatted 190kg, deadlifted 210kg and military pressed 102.5kg @ 90kg.

Strong is strong, dont impose limits

As I understand it, James wasn't sedentary since high school - he's a landscape gardener, yes? For thirty years or so? The physical activity you do every day matters, even if it's not lifting.

Not limits, but levels. Let the person aim for one first, then the next, and so on. Get a 60kg woman in on her first day under the bar and start talking about a 90kg bench press, she'll think you're crazy and go somewhere else. "You're weak until you do that, after that we can call you strong." Not very helpful. Start with 30kg, when she gets that look at 45kg, and so on.

So Rev aims for his 100kg squat, once he gets that maybe he goes for 125kg, when he gets that 150kg doesn't seem so crazy. But he starts with 100kg as a goal.

Have levels, this lets people know their progress, and is also a useful guide for those who aren't aiming just at strength, but who just want it to support some other goal. Strength is a good thing, but it's not the only good thing. That's why there's more than one subforum here.

Aslong as they are goals and not limits Rev they seem fine to me. You may find you easily surpass them by the end of the year though.

Wrong again Kyle. James has worked as a gardener for only a couple of years.

He had not undertaken any exercise for over 40 years.

As far as my PB's.

The bench press was done in 1993, 3 years before I severed my pec, I did 150kg with about a years lifting, same with the 190kg squat. My original deadlift PB was done in 1988, before I injured my back, the 210kg was done with only a few months of training.

the 102.5kg MP was my best ever effort, seeing I never did the lift previously.

In 2003 I MP 90kg (bodyweight) within 3 months of lifting, had never done the exercise previously, had come off a 7 year lay off.

And Kyle, I was simply pointing out to Rev that his goals are set very, very low.Your 90kg female bench press shows that you have zero knowledge on what is realisticly achievable, no woman would ever be ridiculed about only having a 90kg bench press.

You should speak more from personal experience rather than make up things, you'll have more credibility in the long run.

Shoot for the moon Rev, if you miss, you end up with the stars.

Those goals you have set should be reached next week, make sure you post up new ones then.

Thanks for the advice, I wasn't setting limits but goals, but looking at them again, they were too low, so I have adjusted them. I understand both points of view and appreciate taking the time to encourage me. As a newbie when you are new to the forum with zip all knowledge, talk of military pressing 80-100kgs seems ridiculous, intimidating even (and I consider myself a man's man) so setting goals and moving on allows you succeed (encouragement) and then improve.

When I decided I had to loose weight I started off thinking if I can get to 90kgs I wouldn't be such a dugong. When I got to 90 I thought, maybe 85, and then finally 80kg. So I hear you both, and appreciate your advice and admonitions, no limits, just goals, and no doubt the goal posts will move.

Heres a heads up Rev.

James, who is a member on here (monkeyman) started lifting at PTC at 60 years of age. Had never lifted weights, stop exercising at high school.

He is now 61, has trained 3 times a week at PTC for 14 months. He is competing at the CAPO state titles next weekend. His best lifts are, at 61

Squat 150kg
Bench 95kg
Deadlift 192.5kg

Imagine if he started as young as you. He has already beaten cancer and had other ailments I wont discuss that you wouldnt wish on anyone.

He will have 4 National Powerlifting Titles next week, thank God (pun intended) he didnt have anyone set limitations for him like youve set for yourself.

Oh, I had 8 years off, severed my pec and never repaired it, and at 45 benched 150kg, squatted 190kg, deadlifted 210kg and military pressed 102.5kg @ 90kg.

Strong is strong, dont impose limits

Markos can i have photos or more details my dad doesnt want to do 'heavy weights' he thinks it will hurt his bad back. I know it wont but he has had dr's tell him not to lift heavy stuff :rolleyes:

I'll ask James to come on here and in his own words describe his back condition before he started with me, which is why he started with me.

Tonight he pulled 185kg, no belt remember, really easy. A 200kg deadlift is on the cards for this 61yo man next weekend, he just hit his opener tonight. He wanted to pull 200kg tonight, but I wouldnt let him.

That depends on why he has a bad back noobs

Its just old man bad back.. I.e life time of trade work.

Not like medical condition..

I'll ask James to come on here and in his own words describe his back condition before he started with me, which is why he started with me.

Tonight he pulled 185kg, no belt remember, really easy. A 200kg deadlift is on the cards for this 61yo man next weekend, he just hit his opener tonight. He wanted to pull 200kg tonight, but I wouldnt let him.

Thanks markos, i want to whip him into shape, he thinks fitness is the treadmil and its good for you.. He tells me how i should hop on the treadmil because im putting on fat. (never mind the eating everything and hormone problem) .. ahh parents.. lol

His vertical is good, one step hangs off the ring at 176cm, comfortably. Last time it was measured at school, standing vert was 7x cm, I forget how much, should be over 75cm now.

Markos, that's way more than good. That's mighty impressive!

What training did Max do to get a vert like that?

Is it just squats + plyometrics? Or is there something else to it?

I'm looking at improving my jump in the near future, right now i can touch ring off two foot jump. I can't dunk with 2 foot jump, and my 1 foot jump stinks!

Remember Max can squat double bodyweight for 10 reps.

He can nearly deadlift triple bodyweight.

He powercleans 1.7 x bw

When ANYONE can do that, they will have a massive leap.

My younger son Jesse has just started lifting in the last few months, trained by Max.

He simply lifts for basketball, and his leap is equal to Max's.

At 57kg, he squats 90kg x 10 and 100kg x 3.

He cleans 75kg and deadlifts 120kg x 3.

So he is already cleaning 1.3 x bw and deadlifting over double bodyweight for reps. He will squat double bodyweight within a month.

Stick to the basics in training, they are what build the best athlete.

squat, deadlift, clean, overhead press

He is faster than Max on the court, Max beats him by a bee's dick in the 20m sprint

Haz gave you a good link go have a read. Markos is right as most people are weak and need more strength to increase their power, it is the easiest to significanty increase too. It is a lot harder to increase your speed of movement and it can not be increased that significantly. If you want to be faster and jump higher you work on both, but focus primarily on strength at the moment it will give you the biggest increase. Plyo work is good but is definately overused.
Posted via Mobile Device