• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

"Rule of Thumbs"

joshcore

I understand people may have differing responses to these numbers, but generally speaking the rule of thumb for lifting at a decent** weight is:

bench press = 1.5 x body weight
squat = 2 x body weight
dead lift = 2.5 x body weight
military/overhead press = 1 x body weight

clean = ?????????
bent over barbell row = ????????

any others to add ?

note: **definition of decent may differ for individuals.

I understand people may have differing responses to these numbers, but generally speaking the rule of thumb for lifting at a decent** weight is:

bench press = 1.5 x body weight
squat = 2 x body weight
dead lift = 2.5 x body weight
military/overhead press = 1 x body weight

clean = ?????????
bent over barbell row = ????????

any others to add ?

note: **definition of decent may differ for individuals.

do those measurements apply to older people? people with injuries or severe disabilities ?

I'm unsure of what my tricep kick back 1RM is. I'll test it out tmrw

Your 5RM bent row should be what you bench appaz.

I've met all those criteria cept the bench (close) and military press (not close) :)

MP seems like a daunting challenge at that standard. It's my favorite lift but that's a big call.
Posted via Mobile Device

not sure what you mean n00bs. you don't clean more that you bench. either do i. and im sure if he trained for a while Pyrros could bench 213.

for a balanced lifter cleaning as much as you bench is an alright goal. im about 30kg off.

not sure what you mean n00bs. you don't clean more that you bench. either do i. and im sure if he trained for a while Pyrros could bench 213.

for a balanced lifter cleaning as much as you bench is an alright goal. im about 30kg off.

It doesnt mean i shouldnt be able to, I can proabbly clean 100kg atm anyway. I will try soon..

I much prefer overhead pressing to bench.

The only one I have is deadlift :(, chasing 500lb dead and 2xbw squat this year though.

The table in the OP is a good guide in my opinion. The average gym go'er will never get close to those numbers though.
Posted via Mobile Device

The only one I have is deadlift :(, chasing 500lb dead and 2xbw squat this year though.

The table in the OP is a good guide in my opinion. The average gym go'er will never get close to those numbers though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Because..............

we dont want to be strong we just want to look like were strong... Gym rat

i can clean what i bench. the y both at 125 at the moment... clean may not be that at moment as having a break from cleans for past month or two

They are good goals but everyone is different, and some people focus on certain lifts more then others.

I could clean & jerk what I could bench, but i couldnt front squat much more then this.

Others I have met could squat 1.5x what I could but couldnt clean and jerk the weight I could.

I reckon Max is balanced, here are his best lifts

Squat x 2.3
Bench x 1.4
Dead x 2.9
Clean x 1.6
MP x .9
PP x 1.5

He can clean more than he benches easily, he can also clean & PP more than he benches

He is close to what I would call perfect lifts a few extra points here and there and he will be SQ2.5, BP1.5, DL3, MP1. Since he is still a soccer player at heart how are his sprint and vert numbers?
Posted via Mobile Device

The goals are ambitious, certainly.

I prefer goals of several levels. Call it novice/experienced/master, or level 1/2/3, or green/blue/brown belt, or whatever - because we want something which can apply to people other than young adult males in good health with not too much fat. So a 50 year old bloke with no athletic or physical work background who never lifted before and had rotator cuff surgery may never power clean at all, and his bench is certainly not going to hit 1.5x bodyweight - but if he can squat 1.25x BW and deadlift 1.5 and bench 1, well he is doing bloody good. And the 22 year old woman netballer will do better than him, yet still not ever expect to hit the "rules of thumb" suggested above.

And of course, many people are not solely dedicated to strength, but a certain level of strength will support their actual goals - bodybuilding, some sport where strength helps but isn't primary, good health, whatever.

So if we have a few different levels, that's more useful than just one where if you get it you're called "strong", and anything else is "weak".

I reckon Max is balanced, here are his best lifts

Squat x 2.3
Bench x 1.4
Dead x 2.9
Clean x 1.6
MP x .9
PP x 1.5

He can clean more than he benches easily, he can also clean & PP more than he benches

if that was me, it'd be....

squat 156
bench press - 95
deadlift - 197.5
Clean - 108
MP - 61
PP - 102

Max is actually playing his first game of soccer since August last year today, thats 7 months.

His vertical is good, one step hangs off the ring at 176cm, comfortably. Last time it was measured at school, standing vert was 7x cm, I forget how much, should be over 75cm now.

His sprinting is amazing. With a stop watch I have him at 2.69 for the 20m.

A couple of boys that have played TAC reckon thats ambitious, I agree.

They have been electronically timed at 2.84. A year ago, when Max was weaker and slower, he smashed them in 6 consecutive 20m sprint racers.

The AFL draft record is 2.79 by Pierce of Port Adelaide.

He has never trained the beep test, never gone for a run, but managed 14.1 on grass in boots last year, I'd imagine a 15 would be possible on a BB court in sneakers with a little training. He ran State Cross country when he was 12.

As far as MMA goes, lol, he is too nice a boy, nowhere near mean enough, he would get destroyed, those guys have something special.

He is a well rounded athlete, not excellent at anything, just good at most things.

he turned 18 yesterday