• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Rubber Weight Plates vs Bumper

R

Rjc

Hey,

I am starting to get a few bits of gear for home and i'm trying to decide on plates. What would be better for home use. They will be used for standard lifts like deads, bench, rows, squat etc..

I am looking at IE Weight Plate Set (164kg) - Iron Edge Fitness Equipment - Train Smarter

and IE Iron Edge Bumper Plate Pack - Australian Kettlebells/ IronEdge

Are there others that are worth looking at? I would like something that will last but i am also trying to keep costs down as well.

Thanks

I have bumpers and metal plates. If I did it over again I would only get bumpers if you were full on into Olympic lifting. Otherwise they are not worth it and they don't last as long.

Really? I tend to bang my deadlifts down occasionally as my grip gives out and I was considering bumpers (I have rubber coated at present) for longevity and protection of my ABC bar... Not valid thinking?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Really? I tend to bang my deadlifts down occasionally as my grip gives out and I was considering bumpers (I have rubber coated at present) for longevity and protection of my ABC bar... Not valid thinking?

I was wondering this myself. Is it better to do this anyway to look after your lower back a bit? Once the bar gets to say just below knee level, you almost let the bar fall?

It really depends on the surface you are dropping the weights onto. Metal plates onto a proper wooden platform or rubber tiles is fine. No worse than rubber coated. All the rubber coating does is make it a bit quieter. Powerlifting gyms and comps since forever have only ever had wood-based lifting platforms and it's fine.

If you are dropping the weights from higher up, you need bumpers, eg olympic lifts, front squats etc.

I would never deadlift off bare concrete, no matter what the type of plate.

You shouldn't be caressing the weights to the ground in a deadlift, it's a useless waste of energy. You should almost let the weights pull you into the starting position for the next rep.

If I had my time again, I would get metal plates, just like Bazza said. That said, the Iron Edge rubber coated are good from the perspective that they are thin and easy to grip. The Iron Edge ones are just (expensive) copies of Ivanko 7-hole plates. They are similar copies from China all over Alibaba, so occasionally you can find other places stocking them much cheaper than IE.