• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Routine critique

Would like some advice re progression.

Was thinking once reps get to 10 for 3 sets increase weight by 2.5kg and drop back to 8 reps.

If no progress after 3 workouts reduce weight by 10% and work back up.

Would like some advice re progression.

Was thinking once reps get to 10 for 3 sets increase weight by 2.5kg and drop back to 8 reps.

If no progress after 3 workouts reduce weight by 10% and work back up.

"If no progress after 3 workouts reduce weight by 10% and work back up"

rather than reducing weight, reduce sets and add 2.5kg

Increasing intensity (work) is always better (more efficiant) than increasing volume.

As far as I have found reducing volume and increasing intensity as much as I like it only works very temporarily. Over time you need to increase volume to progress.

Are you saying that increasing weight = increasing volume?

Ive always considered volume to be sets x reps and weight to be weight. I.e. you progress by either:

Increasing weight (sets and reps dont change)

or

Increasing volume (weight stays the same, reps x sets increase)

Im also not sure how you guys define intensity? Lower reps at higher weight? Taxing the CNS? Less break time between sets? Strength focussed training over sarcoplasmic hypertrophy focussed training?

Last edited:
Are you saying that increasing weight = increasing volume?

Ive always considered volume to be sets x reps and weight to be weight. I.e. you progress by either:

Increasing weight (sets and reps dont change)

or

Increasing volume (weight stays the same, reps x sets increase)

Im also not sure how you guys define intensity? Lower reps at higher weight? Taxing the CNS? Less break time between sets? Strength focussed training over sarcoplasmic hypertrophy focussed training?

Bodybiulders over the years have used both abbreviated and volume type workouts.
Both work.

A twenty to thirty minute routine would need to be high intensity for it to be the most productive.

A one to to hour workout would be less intense. You wouldn't be able to maintain the same level of intensity as an abbreviated routine.

Intensity is subjective, and for most, maintaining a maximum level of intensity for them over a number of workouts would be quite difficult and mentally draining.

So for most average joes, it's important to mix it up throughout a year I think.

Good examples of different approaches;
Mike Mentzer/abbreviated
Dave Drape/volume