• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
As you may be aware IPF divides everything up into regional federations and has regional championships. These count as international championships for the purposes of setting world records. In the IPF you can't set WRs at national or local comps.

The Oceania Powerlifting Federation is pretty much run by Australia and NZ, and they are taking a role in trying to bring all the Pacific countries up to pace.

From what I can tell, inviting the lifters serves a number of purposes:
- Pacific island athletes are extremely competitive despite the small number of people in the sport. Inviting them over makes for good competition for these elite athletes, as well as the Aus/NZ athletes
- having an Oceania comp makes it an international event and allows everyone to have a crack at regional records and WRs, eg 2 WRs were set at this year's Pacific Invitational
- the teams that came here were given coaching and refereeing courses by PA, thus helping develop the sport in the Pacific

Oceania champs aren't always held in Australia though. They were in Samoa and Tahiti a couple of years back.

The federations that make up the OPF all have an anti-doping policy, otherwise they couldn't be part of the OPF or IPF. Any oceania powerlifter can be tested at an OPF/IPF event. At national level, drug testing is pretty scarce though and it's pretty obvious why. These are generally pretty poor countries with minimal facilities to conduct proper drug testing programs. That said, the OPF says its trying to improve things. Samoa apparently tested at its last national championships so that's a step forward.

I understand the argument, but it is a poor one. I did not know the IPF was a charity.

Fact is that no out-of-comp tests creates real possibilities. This would means PA does hold one comp in Australia (last 2 years) with lifters who have little or no likelihood of out-of-comp tests. They should not be allowed to compete.

Truth is that 2012 data indicates that only 10 member countries had at least 10 out-of-comp drug tests.

I hardly call that fair dinkum drug testing, do you?

At the same time, 31 member countries had less than 5 out-of-comp tests. 36 member states reported not one test, in or out of comp, at all.

Last edited:
I understand, but if people are going to throw stones at others, they should expect some back.

Now the Algerian who lifted the biggest total in the 2012 Raw classic, i would be interested to find out how many times he was tested before winning his crown that year.

Algeria had 2 out of comp tests in 2012, but i want to know if he was one of thembefore the comp. On the IPF list, he was not tested until Stockholm.

Last edited:
Calling it for what it is, possibility that the biggest lift in IPF in 2012 was not subject to drug testing. I am merely inquiring.

We need to be sure that arguments made about world records are valid.

Do any of you PA lifters know who paid for the Oceania lifters to come to Melbourne to compete?

Last edited:
I wll be referring to raw classic. Biggest total at biggest global raw event will do me.

Similar argument, he beat you easily in total, but was he subject to drug testing? Just a question at this stage.

PA can counter the point, and others, any way it likes.

If you are going to have a fair dinkum debate about powerlifing and drugs, you need to have it as honest as can be.

I will merely present evidence and the readers can make up their own mind.

Last edited:
Yes, i will be documenting the no. of tests for all gold medalists at raw classic, as well as the US and other lifters that competed in the last 2 Pacific Raw events in Melbourne.

No way i can just rely on one lifter in any case.

you cant do everything in one article, and since raw is taking over sport, especially in Aust i will focus on that. This focus and rationale will be spelt out at start with quotes from various naitonal feds about importance of raw. Of course,there is also PA info.

Dont worry SP, i will be a thorough piece that highlights the strenghts and weaknesses of all the Aust feds, including PA.

Are you saying algerian still not tested out-of-comp? That would be a big joke. I would assume they have tested him in 2013 at least.

Last edited:
Yes, worth considering. I might even do IPF suit lifters. we shall see.

I am not saying Algerian is the best, he got biggest total at biggest raw event in the style most Aust PA lifters aspired to.

I think i will get more useful data from US lifters that lifted here, i will let you know in time.

Last edited:
*Deleted Quote*

Once again, this is why I don't compete tested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did i read correctly in the PA rules that a PA member cannot coach or referee at another untested feds meet? Sorry for the derailment but i am just wanting to clarify.

Steve, surely that is excessive, thats 15 tests, more than once a month. You couldn't conceal it for that long, must be a scapegoat.

bloody hell, that is incredible. I also think ridiculous.

I just looked at the US lifters who have been here since 2011, i found just 8 out-of-comp tests (plus 18 in comp) for 6 lifters since 2010. And that includes USAPL and IPF.

Last edited:
*Deleted Quote*

I love it, few people in the world tell it how it truly is, don't stop, please!

If i may ask, why did you compete join the drug tested fed as opposed to a non tested fed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah ok, got you.;) One thing ASADA does now is test for specific gravity of the sample on the spot. This means that if you are overly diluted, the ASADA testers hang around with you until you can produce urine of sufficient quality. One friend was telling me that post comp he had to do a test, but because he sauna'd so hard to make weight, and then rehydrated, he was pissing clear for hours. The testers stayed with him until 3am from memory until he was able to produce a proper sample. This is obviously a weakness of urine testing.
When I was tested I was hyperhydrated. They waited another hour, tested again and was even more dilute. They called head office in Canberra and gave it the all clear. Guess they didn't want to see my dick again.

When I was tested I was hyperhydrated. They waited another hour, tested again and was even more dilute. They called head office in Canberra and gave it the all clear. Guess they didn't want to see my dick again.

This has happened to me a few times, I'm always super hydrated on comp day. After the 3rd sample, at like midnight at the 2009 nationals, they just told me to go home lol!

It amuses me how WADA targets people based on performance
Maybe they would find more people if they tested 40 different people a year instead of 2 people 20 times

Yes that is reductio ad absurdum but deal w/ it

Spritcha you deserve a medal for perserverance lifting under these dracaonian conditions and there is no way I or many others would let their 14 yo son be subject to such nonsense.I lifted with the IPF for over 20 years and left because of that tyrant Wilkes and his complete hypocrisy about his own drug use and how he acted as an ASADA official in 1989 at the Vic champs,his witch hunting at the 1989 nationals telling the ASADA officials who to test and self serving actions especially when the IPF were getting govt grants so I joined CAPO because I had a lot more fun lifting without Wilkes and have enjoyed lifting with them for the last 22 years