• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Rippetoe on Strength Training

wingman

Super M0derator
Given that this is the strength section, have a read of T NATION | Rippetoe Throws Down

What do you all think? Is he on the money with his thoughts?

I think the takeaway message for me is that training is not about what occurs today, but about the process.

Last edited:
I hear the same thing from lots of really damn strong guys out there (some of them competing, or have done, and with good results too), so chances are, there might be at least a grain of truth in it. I guess.

Sounds like he is saying keep off the machines, stay on the barbells and adds a bit of crossfit/px90 bashing in there for good measure.

Personally I like crossfit, I don't like crossfit HQ and I don't like the way a lot of people package it and flog it off and I don't like the price. I've trained with Crossfitters that have 140kg clean and jerk, 220 Deadlift, 180kg squat, 120kg snatch, can run a 400m in under 1:10 and can handstand walk 20m. Not bad figures for blokes that are just exercising. Rip use to be the go to guy for Crossfit, as did Rob Wolf for nutrition and Greg Everret for weightlifting. Crossfit have a habit of going to experts for advice, they suck their knowledge and end up having a fallout, they were using Dave Tate for awhile too, now they use Louie Simmons.

But here is the thing. It all comes down to YOUR goals, if you want to have a crack at being crowned the fittest in the world, do crossfit. If you want to be strong at bench, dead and squat, do powerlifting, if you want to sit on a treadmill and talk about bioscience hit a globo gym. Saying exercising is for kids and strength is for grown ups is pretty dumb. Don't drink the other kool aid, drink mine...and buy my book.

Ripp is influenced by (like many) Bill Starr.

Whatever the goal....
The general message To biulding a good base of strength is as old as dirt, fads come and go, at the end of the day you need to first pay your dues under the bar.

I think everyone needs to just stick with the mains points;

1. One exercise for two or more muscles.

Not the other way around.
This alone will reduce the volume of your routine to something that you can grow on. Reductions in volume are NOT so that you are doing less work.
The reduction in volume is so you can train harder.
If you are training to the maximum level of intensity, you will only be capable of this level of effort through a reduction in volume. You cannot train hard and train long.

2. Have a “Key-stone Exercise” that you are focusing on, and pour your attention into it.

Variations of squats, deadlifts, cleans, pulls, or odd lifts are best for this.
Primary work should be to the leg/hip/lower back structures.

3. Keep isolation work for muscles out of the picture entirely.

4. Don’t overlap with your “Key-stone Exercise.”

Hard work on the biggest exercise in your routine shouldn’t be compromised by adding a bunch of exercises that have less of an effect than simply applying yourself to the big one.

5. One to three work sets TOPS.

One or two is probably best if you are training hard enough. That may be in the scheme of simply one set, or in a 5 x 5 routine, with some sets as warmups.

6. Don’t change routines all the time.

Try to think of an exercise as a skill you are learning. You need to become good at the exercise, so stick with it for a while! Changing routines doesn’t give your body a chance to adapt to the one you are working on, and isn’t adaptation what you are after? After a long period on the routine you may need a change, but you will know when that time has come.

Ripp is influenced by (like many) Bill Starr.

Whatever the goal....
The general message To biulding a good base of strength is as old as dirt, fads come and go, at the end of the day you need to first pay your dues under the bar.

I think everyone needs to just stick with the mains points;

1. One exercise for two or more muscles.

Not the other way around.
This alone will reduce the volume of your routine to something that you can grow on. Reductions in volume are NOT so that you are doing less work.
The reduction in volume is so you can train harder.
If you are training to the maximum level of intensity, you will only be capable of this level of effort through a reduction in volume. You cannot train hard and train long.

2. Have a “Key-stone Exercise” that you are focusing on, and pour your attention into it.

Variations of squats, deadlifts, cleans, pulls, or odd lifts are best for this.
Primary work should be to the leg/hip/lower back structures.

3. Keep isolation work for muscles out of the picture entirely.

4. Don’t overlap with your “Key-stone Exercise.”

Hard work on the biggest exercise in your routine shouldn’t be compromised by adding a bunch of exercises that have less of an effect than simply applying yourself to the big one.

5. One to three work sets TOPS.

One or two is probably best if you are training hard enough. That may be in the scheme of simply one set, or in a 5 x 5 routine, with some sets as warmups.

6. Don’t change routines all the time.

Try to think of an exercise as a skill you are learning. You need to become good at the exercise, so stick with it for a while! Changing routines doesn’t give your body a chance to adapt to the one you are working on, and isn’t adaptation what you are after? After a long period on the routine you may need a change, but you will know when that time has come.

Great points right here!

Fingers should be wrapped around the bar when squatting.. I think you have been doing it wrong and have had to turn to leg ext.
You should try doing Squats.

meh.. not going to get in to that argument.
my original post was more in jest of what Rip basically says with any of his 9 page articles.

100% agree with everything he said.

All the big guys I have ever seen in a gym were doing
Squats, deads, bench, rows, press,chins

Scrawny guys
Bench, bi curls, various cable movements