• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Returning after a rolled ankle

durker

Today I was playing one of my two weekly basketball games when about 2 minutes in I rolled my ankle. Within 5 minutes it was extremely swollen (can't even feel the bone on the outside, it's all swollen over).

When would it be ok to return to the weights? Should it be ok when I am at the point where the swelling is all gone and I can walk around normally without any issues, or would it be wise to wait until I am 100% and ready to play basketball again? Either way I can't see myself returning this week, maybe an upper body day on Friday. My main concern would be with regards to squats, calf raises and SLDL's in my program.

Despite playing basketball for ages I've never had any ankle issues until now, so I'm not sure what level of recovery is required to safely get back to the weights. Thanks.

It won't be days, but most likely a few weeks.
Elevate and ice. Get the swelling down :(

Thanks for the advice, not what I wanted to hear but I guess that's the way it is. I have it elevated a lot of the time with an ice pack, so that point's covered.

I guess I have a reason to train like one of my mates, where every day is upper body day.

Not a good way to set out on new goals but shit happens unfortunately.... every rolled ankle heals different according to how it is treated initially and rested.... hang in there. Might need strapping when you restart leg training.

Is there any reason why you can't do uni lateral stuff on your good leg?

Single leg deadlifts / squats etc

Was it an inversion roll (assuming so as these are the most common)?
If you did the whole rice thing intially thats a good start. Id stay away from anything that is working that joint directly for a while ie calf raises. Like others have said, with squats and deadlifts etc just gauge how you feel. If it hurts stop.
Make sure you try to walk/use it as normally as possible while its healing though, you dont want to start causing other issues due to compensatory movement patterns. It will also help allign the collagen fibres in relation to the tension put through the injured ligament.

Make I've torn both my ankles so many times. Carrying two sore ones at the moment (awkward landing on someone's feet at bball Monday night).

Personally I wouldn't do anything that puts stress on it until you can do bball again - bball will tell you if it is ready or not. Weights may not give you that signal, but may delay the recovery.

I once spent half a footy season trying to come back from a really severe tear... was annoyed it took ages to be picked to play again... turns out I thought I was fine, but really I had this limp thing happening with my running - tried to rush back too quickly and delayed the recovery!

A physio could give you the best answer though.

Is there any reason why you can't do uni lateral stuff on your good leg?

Single leg deadlifts / squats etc

Never thought about that, thanks for the idea.

Was it an inversion roll (assuming so as these are the most common)?

Just looked up what an inversion roll was, and that sounds like it. All the pain is on the outside of the foot.

If you did the whole rice thing intially thats a good start. Id stay away from anything that is working that joint directly for a while ie calf raises. Like others have said, with squats and deadlifts etc just gauge how you feel. If it hurts stop.
Make sure you try to walk/use it as normally as possible while its healing though, you dont want to start causing other issues due to compensatory movement patterns. It will also help allign the collagen fibres in relation to the tension put through the injured ligament.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. Yesterday the swelling was much greater around the outside of the foot, looked like a tennis ball was stuffed under there. Today there seems to be the same quantity of swelling, maybe a bit more, just spread all out over outside of the foot rather than concentrated on the impact point.

Yesterday I could hobble along leaning on a wall, today it is hopping to get anywhere. Currently waiting to get some crutches to make this manageable for the next few days. Hopefully the swelling will start going down over the next few days so I can walk again.

Just looked up what an inversion roll was, and that sounds like it. All the pain is on the outside of the foot.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. Yesterday the swelling was much greater around the outside of the foot, looked like a tennis ball was stuffed under there. Today there seems to be the same quantity of swelling, maybe a bit more, just spread all out over outside of the foot rather than concentrated on the impact point.

Yesterday I could hobble along leaning on a wall, today it is hopping to get anywhere. Currently waiting to get some crutches to make this manageable for the next few days. Hopefully the swelling will start going down over the next few days so I can walk again.

Sounds like you have sprained one of your talofibular ligaments, probably the anterior one.
Ice it heaps and keep moving it, unweighted if necessary, in all directions