• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Rest Breaks

Work on your reading comprehension Morgan. I just said Dohetys has some great athletes.

PTC offers the type of comps it does because nowhere else does. Look at how many lifters turn up to our comps and how many turn up at local powerlifting comps and ask who needs to do something different.

PTC vs Shire Speed & Strength has already been discussed.

Anything else?

EDIT: Just for all the morons who dont understand what I was saying about shames gym. I simply said if you watched serious powerlifters you would see long rest periods. Thats all. I didn't give a time limit, I didn't call anyone a weak lifter, or whateverthe**** you read into it.

Last edited:
Dohertys does have some serious athletes lifting out of there.
Yeah, it's definitely a great atmosphere for training.

And dont twist my words.
Not my intention. I thought your statement that I need to watch serious powerlifters was implying that the people I'd previously mentioned weren't serious lifters. If that wasn't what you meant, no probs.

Enough chat for one day, time to train!

Cheers....

Calm down princess.

Are you always in this kind of a mood NPR? I guess it would help with your lifts too bad it doesn't do much for the internet persona

This is typical childish forum behavour.

Who lifts most, who's is beginner, who's not working hard enough.
Puts me right off.
Bob Hoffman in one corner, the Weiders in the other.

I trained at Mikes Gym (now Dohertys) since the mid 80's. I knew Mike well. I have also trained at Dohertys at Brunswick.

For every quality lifter there were 1000 morons.

I spoke to Mike often about these guys. He laughed and said they paid the bills. My experience is that the majority of lifters there are bodybuilders.

The equipment was too poor for a top flite lifter to lift there.

No bumper plates, most bars bent, poor quality knurling etc.

Now tell me, what kind of Olympic lifter is going to train at a place under those conditions.

Same goes for powerlifters.

At Brunswick I had no place to put a bar on the floor.

The gyms do very well for themselves. They have thousands of members.

Not sure how many deadlift 200kg plus though.

This has disentegrated into a pissing contest because some members are unfamiliar with lifting practices in comps.

Good old internet.

morgan your having a go at NPR about getting irrate which i dont understand how you got that, yet i notice most of your posts are always geared negatively anyway. whats the point?

For the record, PTC comps are open to everyone, Dohertys gym included, you dont need to be a member to lift, just pay the entrance fee and lift.

Only half the field actually train at PTC fulltime, the rest come from interstate and other gyms.

Sure plenty of them have been buying training programs off me from interstate for years, but the fact is they do their lifting elsewhere.

Back on topic...

For a change, reducing rest periods is fine, but to train that way exclusively will keep you fit and weak, great if your into Crossfit, not so good if you want to be stronger than a woman..

Having done crossfit for 6 months I agree, I get absolutely hammered at the athletic/gymnastic components of xfit but come KBs or barbells i catch em back up :)

There is a balance though, theres xfit guys who are fit AND strong.

I trained at Mikes Gym (now Dohertys) since the mid 80's. I knew Mike well.

I spoke to Mike often about these guys. He laughed and said they paid the bills. My experience is that the majority of lifters there are bodybuilders.

The equipment was too poor for a top flite lifter to lift there.

No bumper plates, most bars bent, poor quality knurling etc.

Now tell me, what kind of Olympic lifter is going to train at a place under those conditions.

Same goes for powerlifters.

At Brunswick I had no place to put a bar on the floor.

The gyms do very well for themselves. They have thousands of members.

Not sure how many deadlift 200kg plus though.

This has disentegrated into a pissing contest because some members are unfamiliar with lifting practices in comps.

Good old internet.
Did you use your left hand or your right hand for that?

If you trained at Doherty's when it was Mike's then there is fair chance we've crossed paths. Mike is a top bloke and I have a lot of time for the guy and to suggest he operated a sub-standard gym is an insult to the guy - he gave a lot. The gym recently hosted a strongman event, if the equipment is good enough for them to compete with I'm confident it's good enough for anyone else to train with - how many other gyms do you know of that have atlas stones, a strongman log, a yoke, tractor tyres? ... It's defintely not a Fitness First, where you'll defintely find unworn knurling on nice shiny bars (and most of those morons you were referring too).

This thread was doing ok until you yourself turned it in to a pissing contest with comments related to the quality of Doherty's and the ability of the members who train there. You could have quite easily have kept the thread on topic by answering the questions I posted previously?

Sorry, i was under the impression that free speech was actually encouraged in this format. Markos is quite entitled to have a point of view & communicate it. So are you too i will also point out.

Sorry, i was under the impression that free speech was actually encouraged in this format. Markos is quite entitled to have a point of view & communicate it. So are you too i will also point out.
Couldn't agree more; but if you can explain how having a dig at the quality of the equipment and trainers at another gym is in anyway related to the topic of this thread, I'd be glad to hear it.

So my opinion on the equipment at Mikes is wrong hey.

I was comparing his bars to Zhang Kong bar I have, the Eleiko bumper plates that I have, the 3 ABC power bars rated at 500kg that I have.

If Mike indeed does have this equipment, I apologize, I only ever used cheap metal plates and bent no knurling bars at Mikes.

Are you also suggesting that there are no time wasters at Mikes?

What a wasted thread.

Oh, I forgot, I have the advantage of having lifted at PTC and Mikes, you have not, and yes, my ****ty little garage has Atlas stones, granite ones, as well as fat bars, bands, chains, boxes, kegs, KB's.

Not one piece of cheap equipment here at all. Even my non bumper plates are ABC ones.

Anyway, this thread isnt about equipment, its a thread about rest periods in the strength and powerlifting section.

So since very few of you have ever competed, you probably should take note of whats required at a comp from those that have lifted AND coached, at up to National level.

Feel free to start a similar thread in the bodybuilding section, I promise I'll stay out.

I was comparing his bars to Zhang Kong bar I have, the Eleiko bumper plates that I have, the 3 ABC power bars rated at 500kg that I have ..... and yes, my ****ty little garage has Atlas stones, granite ones, as well as fat bars, bands, chains, boxes, kegs, KB's.

Not one piece of cheap equipment here at all. Even my non bumper plates are ABC ones.
Do you want a cookie? This is then followed by....

What a wasted thread.
and
Anyway, this thread isnt about equipment, its a thread about rest periods in the strength and powerlifting section.
This is great... then again, I'm easily entertained. Now that you finished (I hope) bragging about what's in your garage can you get back on topic and answer the questions I posted yesterday?