• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Recommended protein/fat/carb percentages

Big Mick

"2014 - Kunce of the year"
I have been looking at fine tuning my eating habits some more and have done more reading up on different things, have also done some HIIT training and been re searching that more as well, and came across this:

Bodybuilding.com - What Is The Best HIIT Workout?

It gave these recommendations for diet:

HIIT during a Cutting Phase:
Consume 500 Calories under maintenance daily
High Protein (40% of total calories)
Low Carbs (20% of total calories)
High Fat (40% of total calories)

HIIT during a Bulking Phase:
Consume 500-1000 Calories over maintenance daily
High Protein (30-35% of total calories)
High Carbs (45-50% of total calories)
Low-Medium Fat (15-25% of total calories)

HIIT to improve aerobic and anaerobic endurance while maintaining bodyweight:
Consume maintenance Calories daily
High Protein (35% of total calories)
Medium Carbs (40% of total calories)
Medium Fat (25% of total calories)

What do people think about the percentage break down of protein,fat and carbs mentioned for each phase???

Is it worth considering aiming for these percentages??

Also does anyone know of a iPhone calorie counter app where I can set my own protein/carb/fat value goals for the day???

Have been using 'My fitness Pal' to monitor my diet, but it does not allow me to set my goals for calorie, fat and protein intake, as a matter of fact it get upset with my current fat and protein intake:p

Nice link Bazza ;)

Percentages and templates should not be used for the most part. Yes can give you a CLUE as to what amounts of each macronutient should be consumed in a round-about way, but it is still not taking into consideration the INDIVIDUALS situation/requirements.

It is a starting point none the less but read the link Bazza provided or check out these - LBM: Body Weight Simulator Emma-Leigh Swole.me - The automatic diet generator

and myfitnesspal does let you customise. Go to settings, goals, customise. I set mine to the %'s that my fat & protein is the minimum to aim for. (1g/lb for P & .4g/lb for F)

Thanks guy swill have a good read of all of the above, will take me a while to digest all the info, but hopefully will learn something:)

and myfitnesspal does let you customise. Go to settings, goals, customise. I set mine to the %'s that my fat & protein is the minimum to aim for. (1g/lb for P & .4g/lb for F)

I checked and still not there, may be I have a different version, will check iTunes for update and versions tonight!!!:confused:

MB I like the application, as I have been using it to keep track of calories consumed, it's easy to use and convenient, it just gets upset with me as it recons I eat too much protein a day (150-220 grams per day)

The program gives me an allowance 94 grams of protein a day on a 2500 calorie per day plan I have already consumed 144 grams of protein today, with breakfast, lunch and snacks so far, still have dinner and my before bed protein shake to go today (so will probably be around the 220 gram protein today), have a big gym session coming up this arvo, so will probably need it:)

Would love to be able to edit my protein intake to 220 per day!

PS I weigh 110kg at this moment at 186cm:rolleyes:

EDIT:

MFP recommends me to have the following ratio at 2500cal per day at 110kg.

Fat 83gram/Protein 94gram /Carbs 344 gram

Last edited:
MB I like the application, as I have been using it to keep track of calories consumed, it's easy to use and convenient, it just gets upset with me as it recons I eat too much protein a day (150-220 grams per day)

The program gives me an allowance 94 grams of protein a day on a 2500 calorie per day plan I have already consumed 144 grams of protein today, with breakfast, lunch and snacks so far, still have dinner and my before bed protein shake to go today (so will probably be around the 220 gram protein today), have a big gym session coming up this arvo, so will probably need it:)

Would love to be able to edit my protein intake to 220 per day!

PS I weigh 110kg at this moment at 186cm:rolleyes:

EDIT:

MFP recommends me to have the following ratio at 2500cal per day at 110kg.

Fat 83gram/Protein 94gram /Carbs 344 gram
I just signed up and yes my 'ratios' where terrible - 87 protein, 77 fats and 319 carbohyrdates.

But as JZ mentioned, I was able to change the ratios/amount to what I currently do :)

Thanks guys!

yeah, base ratios are retarded IMO. You have to change it on a computer I believe. Not on the app.

yeah, base ratios are retarded IMO. You have to change it on a computer I believe. Not on the app.

Oh, that explains it, have only used it on my iPhone, will log into the computer tonight after gym and adjust settings:)

WHen you change sometimes it wont let you, IT has to Equal 100% exact, ITs very sensitive, sometimes with i for eg do 35% protien is will automatie the other,

Unless is Says Golas have been updated it wont to it. Its fustrating sometimes. Tho when its done its great.

Can also customise Meals, Your own recipes, And what other macros to log and in what order, Probly the best ive found, tho i dont think the nutirtion is to accurate, They rely on other people, So i like to add my own if i can.

I just add my own meals. I don't like how it rounds up the decimal place but that's a very small indescretion.

Have set my intake to 40%protein, 40%fat and 20% carbs now, will see how that goes, it's only a guide anyway, I have set myself 2500 calories per day (was on 2000 but have upped it a bit).

I will run with that for now till I read and understand the links earlier in this thread, then might adjust again once I have learned more.

So now my Protein allowance for the day is 250 gram, Fat 111 gram and Carbs 125 gram per day.

Looks a bit better for my liking.:)

Happy to take any comments, as this is all new to me and I am learning as I go along!

PS thanks for the advice guys much happier with 'My Fitness Pal' app now that I can make it work for me as I want.......got to love the iPhone:D

Standard cookie cutter for most people is 55/45/5 P/c/f

Long as u do the gruelling 2 weeks initial phase first. I've dropped 4% bf in 2 weeks on it..

Standard cookie cutter for most people is 55/45/5 P/c/f

Long as u do the gruelling 2 weeks initial phase first. I've dropped 4% bf in 2 weeks on it..

5% fat. Is this a typo? That's only around 10 grams of fat for most peoples cutting diets. Not really healthy or a good cutting diet.

I'm getting confused as you mention percentages of calories and then change to grams.

Everyone is confused! :D

Grams are what counts, not what the percentage they end up at/as.

Meaning if you have a 2000 calorie diet, it is better to do it by grams of protein carbs and fats so that your individual needs are accounted for. When it is broken down into typically used %, that can lead to possible deficiencies in some areas and it is not as easy to take into account all individual requirements.

I'm getting confused as you mention percentages of calories and then change to grams.

Well I was working on about 2500cals for most people cutting diets.

5% of 2500=125cals
125cal / 9cal per gram fat = 13.9g Fat.

Way too low.

Well I was working on about 2500cals for most people cutting diets.

5% of 2500=125cals
125cal / 9cal per gram fat = 13.9g Fat.

Way too low.
Yeah see the problem.

14g of fat is suitable for someone of about 17kgs of bodyweight :D

Last edited: