• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Recommend me an 8 wk program

Those goals are kitchen based not gym based.

What sort of training are you doing at the moment?

Lift heavy on a main lift and use accessory exercises at higher reps for what you want to bring up/focus on.

Cut the cardio and control the loss through your diet and if needed some walking.

Goals:

- Maintain as much muscle mass and strength as possible
- Lose fat

Suggestions?

If the program you have been doing is working keep doing it. No need to change. Don't drop your calories to low to fast. That's a great way to kill strength.

To explain a bit further:

I was doing PPP, it was great, I gained a bit of strength over the 11 weeks and I'm pretty sure I didn't lose much LBM. However, since stopping, I've been aware I won't have time to finish another cycle. Since then, I HAVE been losing strength (and pretty sure I've lost some LBM).

I want something structured with forced lifts. Since finishing PPP, I've just been doing 5x5 on the core lifts, and higher reps on accessories, pretty much what dave was saying. However, I find without having prescribed weights, I find it hard to get motivated. Plus I can't seem to lift my weights doing 5x5 and I feel overtrained. I find I don't have this problem with PPP.

I could just run PPP again I guess, but my training partner won't be here for the last 4 weeks and these will also coincide with xmas / new years, so its not ideal. An 8 week program similar to that would be ideal I guess.

For the big 3.

Week 1 - 80% x 8, 70-80% x 8 x 2
Week 2 - 85% x 6, 75-85% x 6 x 2
Week 3 - 90% x 4, 80-90% x 4 x 2
Week 4 - 95% x 2, 85-95% x 2 x 2

For weeks 5-8 do the same but add either 2.5kg or 5kg to the numbers.

The second and third sets choose the number based off how easy the first set was eg if it wasn't too bad you could use the same weight again, if it was really hard or you missed a rep drop some weight off the bar

*edit*
That or just do the last 8 weeks of PPP

*double edit*
a 2-day per week 20 rep squat program. that might be a bit hard though if you're cutting as it's basically a mass program where you need a calorie surplus

Last edited:
Just run 8 weeks of PPP. No big deal if you don't finish it, it will still get you strong. Keep doing what you were doing which was working.

He won't really be able to bring much up while cutting...

It is not so much what he wants to bring up but what he wants to keep. Focusing on his triceps size will keep them as big as possible on a cut etc etc.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I might just stick with the PPP then, seeing as I have it here in front of me.

LMD, I've been doing a split and it hasn't been working great. Works good for me when bulking, but when cutting I just seem to lose my way (without having fixed weights I need to lift each session, my strength just seems to fall off).

I'll have several things to try next year to help me gain another 5kgs or so LBM.

Effect of two different weight-loss rates on body composition and strength and power-related performance in elite athletes. Effect of two different weight-... [Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI
Garthe I, Raastad T, Refsnes PE, Koivisto A, Sundgot-Borgen J.
Source
Norwegian School of Sport Sciences, Oslo, Norway.
Abstract
When weight loss (WL) is necessary, athletes are advised to accomplish it gradually, at a rate of 0.5-1 kg/wk. However, it is possible that losing 0.5 kg/wk is better than 1 kg/wk in terms of preserving lean body mass (LBM) and performance. The aim of this study was to compare changes in body composition, strength, and power during a weekly body-weight (BW) loss of 0.7% slow reduction (SR) vs. 1.4% fast reduction (FR). We hypothesized that the faster WL regimen would result in more detrimental effects on both LBM and strength-related performance. Twenty-four athletes were randomized to SR (n = 13, 24 ± 3 yr, 71.9 ± 12.7 kg) or FR (n = 11, 22 ± 5 yr, 74.8 ± 11.7 kg). They followed energy-restricted diets promoting the predetermined weekly WL. All athletes included 4 resistance-training sessions/wk in their usual training regimen. The mean times spent in intervention for SR and FR were 8.5 ± 2.2 and 5.3 ± 0.9 wk, respectively (p < .001). BW, body composition (DEXA), 1-repetition-maximum (1RM) tests, 40-m sprint, and countermovement jump were measured before and after intervention. Energy intake was reduced by 19% ± 2% and 30% ± 4% in SR and FR, respectively (p = .003). BW and fat mass decreased in both SR and FR by 5.6% ± 0.8% and 5.5% ± 0.7% (0.7% ± 0.8% vs. 1.0% ± 0.4%/wk) and 31% ± 3% and 21 ± 4%, respectively. LBM increased in SR by 2.1% ± 0.4% (p < .001), whereas it was unchanged in FR (-0.2% ± 0.7%), with significant differences between groups (p < .01). In conclusion, data from this study suggest that athletes who want to gain LBM and increase 1RM strength during a WL period combined with strength training should aim for a weekly BW loss of 0.7%.

Mate Max B you know your stuff...I've been reading some of your blogs as well as talking to a few people around that have got a bit of advice off you - great source of info!

In all honesty max your a great resource to spend the time to answer questions on this forum /thumbsup
keep up the good work bud..

his got my vote for mod?

In all honesty max your a great resource to spend the time to answer questions on this forum /thumbsup
keep up the good work bud..

his got my vote for mod?
Well it is good to know that people appreciate any serious information I post :p

Thanks for the kind words ceffo!

I have a question for you Pistachio. If you are not happy with your size whilst nearing the end of your current cut why don't you stop now and get back to work on getting that size. It is more of a long term idea but you know you can cut down and you know what you need to work on note the most.

Or do you just want da abz for da beach bro?