• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Recommend me a gym in Brisbane

Have you considered some of the smaller squat racks?

I got this one cause space is a limiting factor in my place:
BodyWorx L415SR Squat rack Treadmills, ellipticals, Fitness & Gym Equipment for sale Australia-wide

Rated to 270kg, it does the job. Need to take it apart at the bottom to mount a full size bar at max width but that's not much of an issue for me.

That does look good, however I'd rather wait until my lease is up and try to get a bigger place. I really want a full power rack.

How far south are you talking?

I'm in Moorooka and my training partner is in the CBD. We both don't want to travel far to get to a gym.

There is one at chandler plus a few crossfit ones that do Olympic lifting..

As a southsider I can tell you there's not much other than a shitty 24 hours gyms with smith machines or only one squat rack..
The big gyms are full of fuckwits and who wear belts for the entire workout like its just a common comfortable piece of clothing, and the use of chalk is frowned upon as is deadlifting!!!

I'd suggest you set up a squat rack at home and a bench, then travel a few times a month to one of the places on the northside!!

That's what I'll be doing when my membership runs out!!

TLDR I'm tired and ranting, get home setup

Thanks ill look into it. My training partner particularly hates those types you mentioned which is why he doesn't want to go to big gyms.

I just did a powerlifting session at Stepz fitness CBD last night. Went in just past 7 and had the entire free weights area and half rack to myself for the whole time I was there. Gym staff clock off around 5pm so you do practically whatever you want without some trainer haggling you. They let you train barefoot too which is a big plus for me. No problems putting the weight down hard on deadlifts and p-rows too. I'll see how busy the rest of the evenings are during this week.

Last edited:
Have a look at 'Movements Fitness', it's in Buranda/Annerley at the top of Centro Buranda.

I used to go there, multiple oly bars, 1 power cage and 1 a-frame squat rack. Unless it's changed in the last year or so.

EDIT: Also Moorooka is not the southside, not even close. It's just confusing

Have a look at 'Movements Fitness', it's in Buranda/Annerley at the top of Centro Buranda.

I used to go there, multiple oly bars, 1 power cage and 1 a-frame squat rack. Unless it's changed in the last year or so.

EDIT: Also Moorooka is not the southside, not even close. It's just confusing

Thanks I'll look into it. I said in my OP that I'm looking for a gym in the South Side/CBD, not that I live in the South Side.

My gym is 5 mins away, squat rack and cage, bout 10 abc bars. $450 for the year. But it's all mine, sorry. Probably too far from you anyways. Logan area. Can't be that hard to find a gym with some racks.....

Sorry to hijack the thread, I've been searching for a good gym in the logan area(around loganholme preferrably) as the only one I can find near me is Goodlife and they don't exactly have much in the way of anything from what a workmate has told me, just curious where you go to?

If St Lucia is still an option, the regular gym at UQ would fit the bill.

3 power racks, 3 platforms, Elieko bars, ABC/Ivanko plates etc

Missing a few things but probably one of the better "regular" gyms around.

Sorry to hijack the thread, I've been searching for a good gym in the logan area(around loganholme preferrably) as the only one I can find near me is Goodlife and they don't exactly have much in the way of anything from what a workmate has told me, just curious where you go to?

I go to one of the lifestyle franchises, there's a big global gym near you, maybe check that one out...

Check out The Fieldhouse, just opened up. It's the closest thing to a properly equipped gym on the southside without paying $100s of dollars at Crossfit loganholme.

Also I go to Goodlife and for powerlifting it's a perfectly acceptable gym.

Check out The Fieldhouse, just opened up. It's the closest thing to a properly equipped gym on the southside without paying $100s of dollars at Crossfit loganholme.

Also I go to Goodlife and for powerlifting it's a perfectly acceptable gym.

Oh so they actually have equipment for it? Will have to rev my mate at work then...

Lifestyles 24 hour gym at springwood. So good, and cheap. Google a 7 day pass and try it out. I think I appreciated it for having so much old school gear, heaps of benches, v bar dip station, few preacher pads plus generally there were multiple options for exercises. Particularly if you don't mind supplementing your workout with good machines, not the crappy cable ones at FF.

Lifestyles 24 hour gym at springwood. So good, and cheap. Google a 7 day pass and try it out. I think I appreciated it for having so much old school gear, heaps of benches, v bar dip station, few preacher pads plus generally there were multiple options for exercises. Particularly if you don't mind supplementing your workout with good machines, not the crappy cable ones at FF.

Seconded, currently a member there.

Hi folks,

Sorry to hijack the thread on my first post - but I need recommendations for a gym on the north side of Brisbane - preferably on the strength/conditioning side of things and from folks (not kids) who can help a semi beginner/intermediate on form and technique.

I live in Carseldine but am willing to travel.

I tried PTC Brisbane but no one seems to be answering the number given during the day or replying emails. The Bodizone place (in Geebung) appeared really full in peak hour and the desk guy didn't appear too 'keen' on new members. This was sometime back btw.

Does anyone here go to Club Coops (Carseldine) and how would they rate it ? Thinking of checking the place out in the w/end.

thanks for the help!

-ash

Hi folks,

Sorry to hijack the thread on my first post - but I need recommendations for a gym on the north side of Brisbane - preferably on the strength/conditioning side of things and from folks (not kids) who can help a semi beginner/intermediate on form and technique.

I live in Carseldine but am willing to travel.

I tried PTC Brisbane but no one seems to be answering the number given during the day or replying emails. The Bodizone place (in Geebung) appeared really full in peak hour and the desk guy didn't appear too 'keen' on new members. This was sometime back btw.

Does anyone here go to Club Coops (Carseldine) and how would they rate it ? Thinking of checking the place out in the w/end.

thanks for the help!

-ash

Hi Ash.
I own PTC Brisbane mate, sorry that you haven't received a reply to an email, when was it sent? We have had loads going on in the gym the last 4 weeks, so I have been really tied up.

We would be more than happy for you to come and check out our gym, and Ill even chuck in a free 2 week pass for your troubles :)

Hi Ash.
I own PTC Brisbane mate, sorry that you haven't received a reply to an email, when was it sent? We have had loads going on in the gym the last 4 weeks, so I have been really tied up.

We would be more than happy for you to come and check out our gym, and Ill even chuck in a free 2 week pass for your troubles :)

Thanks - email(s) was sent on 20/02/2013 , 03/20/2013 (to scott@ptcbrisbane.com).
Whats the best time to catch you ?I can come over wed or thus evening this week (after 7:15pm). Otherwise anytime in the Easter w/end if you guys are open.

-ash

Thanks - email(s) was sent on 20/02/2013 , 03/20/2013 (to scott@ptcbrisbane.com).
Whats the best time to catch you ?I can come over wed or thus evening this week (after 7:15pm). Otherwise anytime in the Easter w/end if you guys are open.

-ash

Hi Ash,

The gym is open 5am-8am & 1pm-9pm Monday to Friday, and 730-2 on Saturdays.

Our holiday hours are always the same 12-5, but Saturday will be 730-2.

Im pretty flat out with clients this Wednesday, but Thursday evening I'm fairly free after 7pm.