• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Ramping-up

macca

Hey guys,
Previously in my training iv'e always only done one 'warm-up' set and then moved into work sets. I've always felt that due to low weights and higher rep set's (6-12 reps) iv'e never needed to ramp-up the weight.

Iv'e recently been doing 5x5 on the major lifts and stalled quite considerably, currently all my lifts are the best they have been. After reading an article on ramping up, and due to my lifts being heavier for less, reps decided to give it a go.

This was around 5-6 workouts ago, lifts have progressed and work set's just feel better/more productive workouts.

Question is, at what weight or rep scheme should we start to use ramping?

Is there any use for an 10x60kg bench press or should we wait till weight exceeds 2 plates? Was i right in doing a quick warm-up set on going straight into work sets with the lighter weights/

How many ramping set's works best for you?

Any thoughts or discussion on ramping, priming or warm-up, post them up.

Thought i best add how i have been ramping, only used on intial compound exercises (deads, bp, mp, squats, br). Take BP for example

10 x bar rest 30+ sec
8 x 30 rest 60 sec
6 x 50 rest 60+ sec
4 x 70 rest 60+ sec
3 X 90 rest 60+ sec

then either 5x5x100

or 5x100 then 3x3x110

All ramping reps are performed as explosively as possible. They say this primes the CNS etc for the work set's and if reps are explosive, they are also considered work sets.

Thoughts?

this is the area that im screwing up in. i usually just do 10 with the bar than do my working sets of 3x5
and bench i usualy do 8-10 pushups?
thorts?

it's something that i've been doing for a pretty long time.

It's not often that I'll have a set of cleans (for example), do 3-5 reps of the bar then jump straight into the work weight. IMHO i think its a vital warm up approach

For my squats yesterday -

Bar x 10
60 x 5
80 x 5
100 x 2

Work sets @ 122.5

I would want to do more warm up reps, tbh, however felt a bit off so just did a light one.

On anything other than deadlifts, I generally dont jump any more than 10kg at a time.
Ive got my first bench session on saturday, so Ill end up doing something like;
20kg x 16
40kg x 8
60kg x 8
70kg x 3
80kg x 1
90kg 5x5

On deads though, its a bit different. I do alot more singles
70kg x 5
120kg x 5
150kg x 3
170kg x 1