• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Quick and healthy energy boost

That's why they suggest MCT oil instead of coconut oil, as coconut oil only contains a percentage of MCT.

As for reasoning, it is well explained in the article about the stuff and the reviews. Have not tried it myself, so have no idea if it works.

So consuming 300 calories from another source will have the same effect as using the formula for the coffee, especially on an empty stomach?? So may be 300 calories from sugar will have the same affect on the body as 300 calories from good fats??

I am guessing 300 calories from sugar will take you straight out of Ketosis, spike the crap out of your insulin for a short energy boost and then give you food cravings for the rest of the day. While the 300 calories of fat will promote Ketosis, which will promote fat burning, which will suppress cravings and hunger, coffee will boost the metabolism and make you more alert and also suppresses hunger cravings.

I seem to remember alan aragon showing plenty of research the effectiveness of MCTs is pretty flimsy at best anyway.

Sugar taking you out of ketosis, it's assuming you are in ketosis anyway and want to be. Why?

Insulin doesn't give you an energy boost.

Your blood sugar levels should remain reasonably constant unless you are a diabetic. If you get massive blood sugar highs go to a doctor.

Eating fat doesn't promote ketosis, lack of carbs does. Again you are assuming ketosis is a positive or needed to lose fat. Why.

Calorie for calorie many carb foods are shown to be better at suppressing hunger than fats.

You are right caffeine is decent at suppressing hunger.

Thanks for answering Bazza. I had the same response.

My point is, that if I wanted to consume anything pre workout in the morning, it sure as hell wouldn't be fat.

Apparently coconut oil is a major part of most of the cheap vegetable oils that people try and avoid these days. Places wanted to get rid of coconut oil at a better price and what better way to do that. Convince people it is a special health food. Bingo fitness industry soaks that shit up. Eg acai berry.

I'm not convinced of many of the touted benefits of MCTs / coconut oil either, but there is a difference between cheap hydrogenated coconut oil and virgin coconut oil. The refining process involves removal of the lauric acid (which is extracted for cosmetics and medicinal purposes) and the hydrogenation involves conversion of some of the facts into trans fats. The jury is out on lauric acid and purported benefits on blood lipid profile, but if you want coconut oil for that property, you're not going to get from generic vegetable oils containing coconut oil.

Prove what? That caffeine increases conversion of glucagon to atp?
Glucagon?
I cannot, I'm not a scientist.

Caffeine stimulates the nervous system, you think you have added energy, it actually saps you of energy.

Does caffeine increase conversion of glycogen to ATP?
Possibly, but to what degree?

You tell me.

Caffeine is a stimulant.
Vitamins and minerals are not.

I meant glycerol not glucagon
I'm carb depleted

ATP = energy
Anything that increases ATP directly or indirectly will give you energy

I truely believe the effects of using coconut oil in my diet.
The more I experiment with my own version of keto/backloading etc, the more inclined I am to agree with 0ni...
I have tried a number of training sessions, carb loaded, small amounts (25g) prior to training, had zero carbs for several days prior to training etc etc...
My best sessions continue to be training while fasted and carb depleted prior to training. I have no idea why, as I can't be bothered trying to interpret the books...but I just experiment and see what works for me.

What I've found for best performance is to have no carbs for afew hours before training. I generally will have a large Carb meal for lunch which will be around 1pm and I wont have anything until training except for water. Once I warm up and get afew work sets in (generally around 15mins in) ill start smashing carbs in the form of a 1 litre bottle of one scoop of Gatorade (for flavour)+ 80 grams of dextrose.

I find if I have any carbs or food to close to training my performance suffers, same thing happens if I have a Carb drink during warmup. If I wait until afew work sets in before I ingest carbs my performance increases.

If I train in the morning its a large Carb meal the night before and train completely fasted. For some reason if I have any food or carbs even after I start my work sets my performance suffers.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Yeah olive oil and butter are easily the tastiest and best for you
Lard is good also, but not as tasty

I do like coconut oil but also love olive oil and butter

I don't think much of the bulletproof coffee so far,I think as JZ said,it's probably the extra cals that give the energy

Lads u have not lived until u have had coconut butter (manna) that shit is fucking legitt 50gms of that in the morning keeps me going easilyy till lunch