• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Question on Chest

If you grab your pec and move your other arm as if you are benching. Do it as an incline, flat and decline angle and you should notice your pec contracts more in the decline angle.

Im not saying this will build your lower pec more than the upper part, but it sure feels like it contracts your whole pec more than the other 2 angles..

I have seen a video on this as well but they took flash off my work comp (bastards) so i wont be able to find it.

decline benches arn't a good idea - their ROM is significantly reduced and should you fuck up the bar will come down on your neck.

decline benches arn't a good idea - their ROM is significantly reduced and should you fuck up the bar will come down on your neck.

Don't know about a reduced ROM, the decline angle certainly does make inroads to muscles around the upper back, bicep and lats, but I agree and safer doing dips.

Rippetoe said:
The decline press is a rather useless exercise because the angle of the body in the decline position shortens the distance the bar can travel, decreasing the amount of work done with respect to the distance the load moves. This has the effect of increasing the weight that can be used in the exercise by decreasing its difficulty. This leads to inflated perceptions of one's ability, and is essentially masturbation, much like that which is possible with a 30° leg press or a half-squat. It gets recommended for its effects on the "lower pecs"; dips perform this function much more effectively, while at the same time involving more muscle mass, more balance and coordination, and more nervous system activity, as discussed below. Declines are dangerous because if their point of contact on the lower sternum gets missed, the next stop is the throat. Couple this with a heavy weight and a lousy spotter, and you might have a really, really bad "chest" workout.

Flat bench just works. People need to stop looking for the magic chest exercise and just bench, letting food and genetics do the rest.

Lots of MRI and EMG work has been done on muscle fiber recruitment during one exercise or another. This summary was copied a few years ago from another website. I have the book somewhere in my attic.

A few caveats are in order:

1. These were experienced lifters.
2. No statements were made in the original source about exercise form, grip width, etc.
3. No statements were made about 1RM percentage or how many sets/reps were done.
4. Instrument measurement errors were not stated.
5. Personal physiology and ergonomics can and will vary. A lot.

Electromyographical (EMG) Research is an essential research tool allowing physiologists to determine the role of muscles during specific movements. EMG is a scientific method of measuring the level of excitation. This is done by placing electrodes over your body and recording the level of muscle activity induced by an exercise. A study was conducted to find which exercises cause the greatest amount of activity within each muscle group and, as a consequence, determine which exercises will produce the greatest gains in mass and strength. This study was conducted by Tudor O. Bompa, PhD & Lorenzo J. Cornacchia. Both men and women were used in the study and all subjects had at least two years experience with resistance training.

These are the results: (100% would signify maximum muscle fiber stimulation)

Pectoralis Major (Chest)

Decline DB bench press ----------------93%
Decline BB bench press---------89
Push-ups between benches --------------------88
Flat DB bench press -------------------87
Flat BB bench press -----------------------85
Flat DB flyes -----------------------84

Pectoralis Minor (Chest)

Incline DB bench press ----------------91%
Incline BB bench press --------------------85
Incline DB flyes -----------------------83
Incline bench press (smith machine) ---------81

That's right gentleman research has been done and it proves dumbbells are better.

/I still only do flat bench ATM hehe

That's right gentleman research has been done and it proves dumbbells are better.

/I still only do flat bench ATM hehe

everyone already knew that, but dumbbells only go up to 50kg in most gyms for OH&S issues...

everyone already knew that, but dumbbells only go up to 50kg in most gyms for OH&S issues...

I have seen 80kg at world gym Bankstown here. FF from memory was only 45kg. Most people at my gym grunt on 30kg so guess 50kg might be a long time goal for some

I have seen 80kg at world gym Bankstown here. FF from memory was only 45kg. Most people at my gym grunt on 30kg so guess 50kg might be a long time goal for some

Agree you can feel db presses doing heaps more for you, so many more stabilization muscles required.

My gym has up to 52.5kd db, only a few guys there can use them for chest, most use them for shrugs.

But if you can do 50kg db presses you are well on your way to doing 130+ flat bb benches, just my thought.

But if you can do 50kg db presses you are well on your way to doing 130+ flat bb benches, just my thought.

Funny u mention that.

I can do 50kg Db x3 reps but only Barbell bench 130x2 ... hmmm.. i wonder if theres a formula to convert DB to BB lifts??

Funny u mention that.

I can do 50kg Db x3 reps but only Barbell bench 130x2 ... hmmm.. i wonder if theres a formula to convert DB to BB lifts??

I guess mostly its about what you focus on while training..

But for me it usually works out that I can db total 75% of my bench (90/120) I have been doing a lot more flat bench than db however., Just started doing lots of db again.

The level of ignorance in ths thread is stunning, Oliver and Andy aside.

To the guy who proudly announced this thread as his own, can you please produce an anatomy chart that shows upper pec, lower pec, inner pec, outer pec or any other fucking pec you can think of

Read the article below, even though the author use many exercises, including incline and dips, not once does he mention upper or lower pecs.

How can this be?

Because they dont fucking exist.

Chest Anatomy 101

Function of the Chest Muscles.

The chest is part of a larger group of "pushing muscles" found in the upper body. The chest, as part of this group, enables you to perform pushing actions such as a bench press, push-up, or a daily activity like moving a heavy dresser.
To fully develop your chest, you need to hit it with heavy weight using a couple smartly chosen exercises. Read on and learn more about each chest muscle, and how to properly perform exercises that successfully challenge them.
A special note for females: don't be afraid that chest exercises will decrease your breast size! Including chest exercises (performed with the correct weight and repetition) in your weight training routine will sculpt, lift and enhance your breasts.
Pectoralis Major

The pectoralis major is a large, substantial, fan-shaped muscle. And as you might guess from the word "major," it makes up the majority of the chest muscle mass. It originates at your clavicle, ribs, and sternum, and inserts into the upper portion of your humerus (upper arm bone from elbow to shoulder.)
The pectoralis major helps flex the shoulder joint, and moves your arm toward and across your chest. When training your pecs, you'll likely notice that your shoulders and triceps are benefitting too.
Pectoralis Minor

The pectoralis minor is a thin, triangular muscle that is found underneath the pectoralis major. It attaches at the 3rd, 4th and 5th rib, and it reaches to the scapula (shoulder blade.) Think of it as the little (yet very powerful) brother of the pactoralis major. Its job is to help pull the shoulder forward and down.
Serratus Anterior

Although the serratus anterior may not seem like a chest muscle because of its location, it is typically grouped with the pectoralis major and minor as part of the chest muscle group. It's functions are to move the scapula forward and upward.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]^ up to TOC[/FONT]​
The Best Chest Exercises

Top 5 Chest Exercises. Here's my top 5 pick for the most effective chest exercises:

1. Barbell Bench Press
  2. Dips
  3. Incline Dumbbell Press
  4. Push Ups
  5. Dumbbell Pullovers
1. Barbell Bench Press

How to Perform the Barbell Bench Press. Lie on a flat bench, feet flat on the floor, and eyes positioned directly under the bar. Grasp the bar slightly wider than shoulder width (use the markings on the bar as a guide.) Un-rack the bar, and position it directly above your upper chest. Lower the bar it until it barely touches your nipples, then push the bar back up to the start position.
The Advantages of the Barbell Bench Press. I consider the barbell bench press to be the best chest exercise. It is a fundamental weight lifting exercise that should be at the core of every weight lifter's chest workout. Whether you're looking for mass and bulk or strength and sculpting, the barbell bench press is key to a results oriented routine. And, while the flat bench press clearly benefits your chest, it also tests your shoulders and triceps, making it a powerful upper body exercise.
2. Dips

How to Perform Dips. To perform dips, you'll need two parallel bars, about shoulder width apart (nearly any gym will have what you need.) Grasp the bars and lift yourself to a position so that your arms are fully extended, supporting all of your body weight. Your legs will hang freely. Slowly lower your body until your shoulders are just a bit lower than your elbows (a great time to ask a spotter to check your form.) Then push yourself back up to the start position. To most effectively target your chest, lean your body forward slightly as you perform the dip.
The Advantages of Dips. A dip appears to be a nearly effortless weight training exercise... until you try it! Dips force you to lift and balance all of your body weight. The dip is prized by serious weightlifters because of its multi-muscle enhancing qualities. Sure, it hits your chest hard, but it also targets shoulders and triceps. Dips are also a great way to hit your pectoralis minor. The movement required by dips also transfers to the bench press, offering you gains in your lock-out strength.
3. Incline Dumbbell Bench Press

How to Perform the Incline Dumbbell Press. You'll need an incline bench (adjustable or fixed), and dumbbells to perform the incline dumbbell press. Start in a seated position with the dumbbells resting on your knees. "Kick" them up by lifting your knees as you recline into the backrest. Now you are flat on your back, with feet planted on the ground. The dumbbells will be near your shoulders; press upward to fully extend your arms above you. Position dumbbells directly over your chest, so that they are perpendicular to your body. Lower the dumbbells in a slow controlled movement until the dumbbells are about even with your chest, then push dumbbells back to the start position. Note that the dumbbells should just barely touch eachother at the top of the movement.
The Advantages of the Incline Dumbbell Press. The incline dumbbell bench press is a great chest exercise, but it also hits the anterior deltoids (front shoulders) hard because of your body angle. So it will definitely work your upper body pushing muscles to the fullest. On the other side of the coin, though, this means you might want to skip it if you're already doing heavy shoulder exercises such as the overhead press. And finally, incline dumbbell presses are so effective because they train your arm, shoulder and chest stabilizer muscles because you're forced to balance and move the dumbbells together.
4. Push Up

How to Perform Push Ups. Assume the correct push up start position: Hands positioned on the floor a little more than width apart and turned out slightly. Elbows nearly locked, and feet a comfortable distance apart. Your body should form a straight line from head to toe (eyes looking at floor, chin tucked.) Lower your body as one unit until your chest is slightly lower than your shoulders- then push yourself back to the start position.
The Advantages of Push Ups. Check the scene at any weight training facility and you'll see people doing push-ups, but how often do you catch someone properly performing a push-up? A properly performed push up is an effective way to train your pecs, but no doubt you'll see gains in core strength, triceps, and shoulders too. Push ups are super versatile- just vary your hand or foot position (try close grip push ups or incline push ups) and keep the challenge fresh! The push up serves best as a fantastic end-of-workout burn out exercise that requires nearly every muscle come out and play.
5. Dumbbell Pullovers

How to Perform the Dumbbell Pullover. You'll need a flat bench, and a dumbbell. Position yourself so that your body is perpendicular to the bench. Rest your upper back, shoulders and neck on the bench. Your lower back and torso should be roughly parallel to the floor, and your knees bent at a 90 degree angle. Feet firmly planted on floor. Grasp the dumbbell with both hands, and hold it directly over, and perpendicular to your chest. This is the start position. Slowly lower the dumbbell over and behind your head until your arms are approximately parallel to the floor. Return weight to the start position above your chest.
What is a Dumbbell Pullover? The dumbbell pullover works your pectoralis major, but expect your back to benefit too. Best yet, the dumbbell pullover offers a great stretch and requires that a number of small stabilizer muscles pull their weight. –And almost anyone that's done a dumbbell pullover will agree: this exercise simply feels good.

ecorche_contemp.chart.lg.jpg

Last time i tried i DB pressed 50's for 4 reps but i have never benched 130kg with a BB. My highest 1rm is 122.5kg for bench press.

Im hoping to hit a 130kg BB bench press by the end of 2010 though!

Upper pec lower pec outer pec inner pec... not referring to a different muscle, but different parts of the same muscle..

It is possible to stimulate different parts of the chest more using different excercises .. e.g the upper pec more using inclines and wide reverse grip bench, inner chest using fly movements etc. however its obviously not possible to really isolate parts of the chest because they are part of the same muscle/s..

This is only really relevant for bodybuilders looking for better symmetry and full development of the muscles as opposed to those who train for strength as most of you guys do.

Okay Einstein.

Here is a pic of Arnold.

Check out the difference between his left and right bicep.

Are you telling me he trained each arm differently or maybe genetics played a role in the shape of his biceps.

The amount of ass clowns doing concentration curls to hit the "peak" has resulted of enough brain matter falling out of their heads to tip the axis of the earth.

8b672-arnold_front_double_biceps_sickkk_quads_.jpg

arnold-biceps-2.jpg

Now because Arnold had a higher peak on his right arm, its the only one he used on a single bicep shot.

Heres a challenge, find a pic of Arnold doing a single bicep pose on his left arm, which has a longer fuller bicep

young-arnold-schwarzenegger.jpg

Even from a young age, right arm

arnold%20biceps.jpg

Right arm

arnold.jpg

04_arnold.jpg

You cant isolate "parts" of a muscle and change their shape.....only God can