• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Question about reps

Number of reps doesn't matter. 1 rep sets, 20 rep sets, whatever.
Just stress the muscle and increase your volume over 80%.

After reading another thread is seems there's been some controversy and you might not be coming back on here, but hope you do and can answer the question.
By increase the volume over 80% do you mean after your warm up?
Say doing a 20kg dumbbell press (each arm) as a warm up, I should them push to add at least 16kg to each arm for working sets? (please give more detail, I'm intrigued)

After reading another thread is seems there's been some controversy and you might not be coming back on here, but hope you do and can answer the question.
Say doing a 20kg dumbbell press (each arm) as a warm up, I should them push to add at least 16kg to each arm for working sets? (please give more detail, I'm intrigued)

He'll be back Lucifer ;) And I'm sure when he's sees this he'll answer your question.

Warm up should be irrelevant. I don't mean shift most or your workout to above 80% intensity (although that will happen).
Just keep increasing your volume over 80%. If you bench 100kg for a 1RM, you want to get as many lifts over 80kg in your session as possible, so you have a few options.

2 sets of 10 (20 lifts)
5 sets of 5 (25 lifts)
25 singles

And so on. I do not believe that 1-5 reps is strength, 6-10 reps is for hypertrophy and 12+ is for endurance. The studies that showed this were done on untrained teenagers on machines. Of course singles didn't work for them. Any rep range will give you good hypertrophy. It is maximising your volume 80% that really matters. If you keep rest periods very short you can get great progress with singles but generally sets of 3 will beat singles for total volume.

Hope so. I hate being intrigued and not getting an answer...
sounds pretty well right..

this isnt a pissing contest but a normel few sets of dumbell press as follows:
22s x 15
40s x 12
47s x 10
55x4-6

i way i was using a few years ago was finding your weight in which you can do 6-8 reps with. then find 80% of that weight and 80% of that weight and finally 80% of that weight.

being able to do say a set of 50kg dbells.. id find 80% of that is 40kg than 80% of that is 32kg and finally 80% of 32 is around 25kg so there is a nice few sets for me. 25s-32s-40s-50s