• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Putting together a home gym, what would your essentials be?

Power Rack, FID Bench, Oly Bar, Plates, DBs, Lat and Row cables (optional).
Basically what I have and gets me through

Flat bench 30cm Wide rated to 400kg+ total weight

Mobile spotter bars for a bench press and a Squat Stand. If I had a lot more room - Power rack.

Chin up bar / Ceiling beam / Doorway beam for pull ups/chin ups (or attachment for rack)

150kg to 200kg of Cheap olympic plates to start with if I was starting out. Since I'm not, I'd just buy 100-200kg of calibrated bumpers for large plates, and smaller 5s 2.5s etc for adjustments.

Cheap 20kg olympic bar (actually not too easy to find)

Spinlock dumbells + 4 small plates that fit the bar (can load oly plates on them no probs for extra weight)

A lot of wood and some gym flooring for a lifting platform. 2 levels to make sure it's all even when installed.

I have just put my home gym together at home. Pretty basic but it does what I need...includes power rack (home made job, with spotter arms etc) few things to finish off on the rack yet like my standing calf press and dip handles
Also a incline/decline bench, hyperextension. Made my own land mine so I can do t-bar rows. 7ft oly bar. Also have a sorted amount of Olympic weights and standard weights for dumbells.

I have just put my home gym together at home. Pretty basic but it does what I need...includes power rack (home made job, with spotter arms etc) few things to finish off on the rack yet like my standing calf press and dip handles
Also a incline/decline bench, hyperextension. Made my own land mine so I can do t-bar rows. 7ft oly bar. Also have a sorted amount of Olympic weights and standard weights for dumbells.
How'd you make the tbar

Big flat steel base with a pivoting tube attached that you slide a bb in to... Then just use a v bar on the bb

Power rack with hi low pulleys, fid bench with leg attachment, leg press, and a cable crossover machine. Perfect.

Not sure if rubber mats have been mentioned. I acquired a few that I use for deadlifts or to lower/drop dumbbells onto.

I wouldn't mind a t bar row, might need to put some pictures together so my brother can make me one.

Not sure a full set of dumbbells like fadi posted would be necessary but I wouldn't turn them down.