• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Pushup variations

Not sure what they are called but I call them tricep pushups.
Put your hands/fists back towards your hips are far as you can
for a good tricep workout.Supersetting them with tri pushdowns
left me sore for a couple of days.

13 weeks ago, I could do about 15 girle pushups and <4 regular pushups. Now I don't do girlie ones at all and can do about 40 regular pushups (4 x 10). I still take big anxious breath when my PT says it's time to do them though...they are really hard work for me.

Nice work eje!

I still find them very hard - you know the feeling when you push up and nothing is moving? I get that all the time :)

You should be very proud of being able to do 4 x 10 after working on it for 13 weeks. That is tremendous.

thanks katie, I appreciate the support. There are heaps of things I can do now that I couldn't 3 months do ago. I am loving the journey. I definitely know that 'sinking' pushup feeling. The funny thing is I tend to do the best ones on numbers 5-10. It's like I am anxious during the first 5, suddenly realise I can go deeper (and still get back up again) relax and push the last ones out better...I try to remember what I just realised for the next set but same thing happens again...odd hey.

Diamond push-ups! I nearly died just trying to crack more than one a while back.

I like the Superman ones. I assume this brings the Abs into the workout?

I am horribly familiar with pushups, see sig ;)

The abs are always used in a pushup, they hold up your midsection. Get into a pushup position, then relax your abs - you fall down.

It's just that if your hands are far from your body, more of the force of your weight goes through your middle and less through your hands, so that your abs must exert more force to balance.

Hands closer to your strenum, works triceps more. Hands spread wide, works pecs more. Hands forward, works abs more.

Once you can do 10 pushups or so, then for a real challenge and burn, put your hands together diamond-style. Do as many as you can. Then put your hands one hand's width apart, and pushups until you can do no more. Then another hand's width out, and so on.

Or you can do a regular pushup, then at the bottom hold for a ten count, do 3 full pushups, then hold at the bottom for a ten count, and so on.

Then there's the very hard superman pushups (or one-arm superman pushups if you're as strong as Markos!) but these are way out of my league.

wow superman pushups on their own take a huge amount of strength. didnt know one armed was possible?

vids?

clap pushups; the ones on the medicine ball where u alternate hands balancing on the ball; pushups on a set of dumbells when you get to the top do a row with dumbell (one arm at a time)

wow superman pushups on their own take a huge amount of strength. didnt know one armed was possible?

vids?

No vids sorry, you'll have to come in person to see them, I've demonstrated them to clients.

Thats still not the hardest version of superman pushups I have done though.

A 20kg plate resting on my ass was much, much harder. I couldnt do any kind for a few weeks later, strained something lol

If your using push-ups in your routine you should try a decline and an incline as well.
Working every part possible.
For a decline put your feet on the bench or even you own bed and hands on the floor.
Reverse your self for the other mussels.

Push ups are a great work out for people starting out as they work so many groups of mussels at the same time (as mentioned before, abs included).
To mix up the incline and decline, I some times do diamond push up with them.
;P

I do this when i am on a Chest Triceps day and dont make it to the gym:

3 sets Normal Wide Push up
3 sets Hip Push up
3 sets Diamond Push up
3 sets Decline clap push up
3 sets one arm incline push up (incliine should be near 45 degrees or higer if a beginner)

TRY THAT!

after a good chest smashing i go home and finish off by doing sets of diamonds, shoulder width and wide push ups ill do as many as i can but in the end i dont feel it in my chest anymore just my arms so thats when i know its done ;)

Push ups on rings, couple inches from floor.
Did these tonight, not as difficult as I thought they would be actually.