• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Pull-up or pull down?

Which one is a question asked a lot.

I think the fundamental difference between the two is leverage.

The chinup keeps you honest.
Pulling yourselves up towards the bar and pulling ones bodyweight up in a straight line is a rugged task where fatigue can appear very quickly.

Over time I think the chin-up can cause more harm than good

The difference between the two is that when you pull the bar down in a seated position you are able to bend at the hip move backwards/forwards to accommodate the rotary movement that is required to maximize strength, maximize strength over a larger ROM, which over time and many years is kinder the the shoulder and upper back.

I think it is very important to try all forms of pulling if one wants a healthy strong back and shoulders.

Maybe I'm weird (no comment necessary) but one difference I've noticed is that I feel my abs getting worked a bit with pullups.

Good point about the leverages and ROM Andy - must admit I find pulldowns kinder to my body than chin ups these days as much as I think chin ups are a great exercise.

The more muscle that moves through space the more muscle worked, so for most of the general public chins are a better exercise.

That said most 125+ bodybuilders/powerlifters aren't going to get much out of doing 3-4 reps, but until thats you keep doing your chins.

I would tell PL's to steer clear of chin-ups if they are unable to pull more than 6 good ones.
And I mean good ones.

Thread title reminded me of "dig up, stupid"

l think both have there place. Chinups more for me because im anorexic and can bang a semi decent number of reps out.

I would tell PL's to steer clear of chin-ups if they are unable to pull more than 6 good ones.
And I mean good ones.
i cant do 6 good ones to save myself.... so i shouldnt do them? lol (i am talking pull ups here, so wide grip to hit lats harder)
a strong upper back/lats is crucial for a good dead

doing both would be better than one or the other. i dant see why u cant alternate between the two

i cant do 6 good ones to save myself.... so i shouldnt do them? lol (i am talking pull ups here, so wide grip to hit lats harder)

doing both would be better than one or the other. i dant see why u cant alternate between the two

You could put more effort into pulldowns.

If you are benching a lot, then a rowing movement will do much more for shoulder stability and pulling power than 4 crappy rep's trying to chin, the crappy movement you are doing will most likely add to shoulder problems down the track.

I'm suggesting heavy rows and heavy pulldowns.

do your chin ups you slut

What about if you with the width of 700mm apart and palms facing towards you, like you suggest? Will this also ultimately end up in problems too?

What about if you with the width of 700mm apart and palms facing towards you, like you suggest? Will this also ultimately end up in problems too?

Palms facing always feels better for me, I always felt stronger.

Looking back, too many chin-ups just gave me sore elbows.

Personally. I like both and can't say one is better than the other.

But as I train at home, I just do pull-ups, band assisted for higher reps etc. lately low reps BW as I can't do more than about 5-8 without bands.

Enjoy both of them. For people that needed help breaking barriers I often only did the negative portion with them for overload. Helped them break plateaus. If you can only do 6 pullups, do the 6 then have a box near you and do 6-12 negatives. See how you go!

But I did end my OP with this.

I think it is very important to try all forms of pulling if one wants a healthy strong back and shoulders.

I've found chins bring on tennis and golfer elbow in a lot of people, especially for heavy people. I've also see some decent shoulder trauma happening because people don't control the eccentric like they would on the lat pull down.

I've found chins bring on tennis and golfer elbow in a lot of people, especially for heavy people. I've also see some decent shoulder trauma happening because people don't control the eccentric like they would on the lat pull down.

This is me. I can get 20+ reps bodyweight but when I start adding weight and doing lower reps sets it kills my elbows.