• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Psychology Research

plloyd88

Hi there,

I am a psychology student at the Glasgow Caledonian University, Scotland, and as part of my thesis I am working on a study that explores the extent to which cases of muscle dysmorphia are increasing within western society. In particular the research focuses on the predictive association between bullying and muscle dysmorphia. Muscle dysmorphia can be described as a pathological obsession with the drive for a bulking, muscular and lean body where the individual may compromise social interaction, work commitments and physical health to obtain an "ideal" physique. Relatively few studies have been completed on muscle dysmorphia and this is offset by recent reports detailing how men are increasingly seeking professional psychological help for body image disorders, in particular muscularity. By reviewing empirical evidence it may assumed that lowered self-esteem affected by bullying may be a contributing factor to muscle dysmorphia. Hopefully, research in this field will help establish future potential risk factors of muscle dysmorphia. Potential participants are required to be male, aged between 18-65 and exercise at least three times a week.

You will be asked to complete two questionnaires, which won’t take long. Participation in this study is completely voluntary, you do not have to answer any of the questions you're particularly uncomfortable with and you have the right to withdraw at any stage. There will be no compensation for taking part in this study. A list of eating disorder and bullying help and information websites are provided on the home page of the website. Confidentiality and anonymity are guaranteed and all data will be stored securely.
If you are willing to take part in this study please follow this link https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/3SJWZWP

For more information contact myself or my supervisor;
James Lloyd at jlloyd200@caledonian.ac.uk
Lori Stevenson at lori.stevenson@gcu.ac.uk

Interesting... reminds me of something I once saw on a 60 mins or similar segment. Some Doc. in the states talking about something he called 'the Adonis complex' i.e. the shear drive of some guys who are never 'big enough' etc..

He was comparing things like the physiques of old plastic toy dolls e.g. a comparison with old star wars toys and the like from the 70's with the new ones released for the prequels etc.. and how the newer toys were all buff and shit when compared with their older counter-parts.

He also interviewed a lot obviously fit guys and found that no matter how 'big' they got, or how many pb's they achieved - they never felt fulfilled.

I reckon the modern man is under just as much pressure as women to look a certain way.

Just look at our sportsmen when compared with those of a decade 2, or 3 ago...

Can you imagine a Sonny Bill Williams playing at the '87 world cup?

Dude would probably be locked up as some genetic freak!

another term i've heard people use for guys who think they aren't big enough is 'bigorexia'. It was on a similar tv program to the one Test-E mentioned.

Hey everyone, I'm getting really close to my sample target, just 18 more participants are needed, if anyone else could fill in these questionnaires it would really be appreciated, thanks!