• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Protein expired by 2 years

The Hulk

Active Member, Site Advertiser
I ran out of protein today and found a whole 10lbs bag of ON whey in my cupboard.
It was still 98% full because I didn't like the flavour, Rocky Road.

Anyway, I had a scoop just now, the expiry date was Nov 2009.
Smells just like new and it's been stored in a cool dark place fully sealed.
I took a scoop from deep in the bag.

How bad could this be?

I know the flavour, it's a shocker, I still have about 1kg of that stuff.

I am sure there is nothing wrong with it, it will still be good in another 20 years time. It's just that by law food products need to have a use by date attached.

I know the flavour, it's a shocker, I still have about 1kg of that stuff.

I am sure there is nothing wrong with it, it will still be good in another 20 years time. It's just that by law food products need to have a use by date attached.

Have to agree with Big Mick.. As long as it taste the same, looks the same, smells the same you're pretty safe... I'm from Sweden and we too have to have expired date on products that would easily last a couple of years more..
It's like regular milk, usually have an expired date on 7 days.. But it doesn't mean that the milk has gone bad just cause it expired 1, 2 or 3 days ago.. It just guarantees that the product are at its best during this time.

This will all depend on how the product is stored.

I had an interesting experience about a year ago when I dug up one of the first batches of protein we ever bought, it was sitting at a different address and had long been forgotten about.

Out of interest and knowing it had been stored well I decided to try it out and to my surprise it tasted absolutely perfect. It should be noted though that this isn't a true indicator or bacteria and other possible contaminants though, which maye have been raised some what.

The protein did taste fine, certainly didn't upset the stomach yet it was 4 years old.

I would say you would be fine with the protein you have, being a commercial product it will likely have quite a few preservatives in it too.