• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Protein/Carb/Fat Ratio??

D1cko

Extra Large Member
Hi, I am getting a bit confused about what my nutrient needs might be to keep building muscle mass. I'm looking to set out a bit of a diet plan for myself.
I've read the whole 40/40/20 before, I'm not really convinced, just interested on what some folks on here might recommend? I am guessing that I'll need at least3500+ cal too....
Thanks

Start off at 35calories/kg of bodyweight.

Minimums -
Protein intake = 2g/kg of bodyweight

Fat = 0.85g/kg bodyweight

Carbohydrates = rest of your calories.

MB, I know you recommend a minimum protein and fat consumption. Do you have a minimum carb consumption as well?

From my talks with Mr MB, he was saying you need a min protein of 2g/kg and min fat of 0.85/kg and the rest could come from whatever you like.

But surely you must (or should) have some carbs?

2gP+0.85gF = only 16cal out of 35cal/kg

energy easily comes from protein too, but eating 0.85g fat and 6.75g protein per kg seems... like a lot of steak. like nearly 2kg of it per day!

carbs make up the rest of the cals "cleanly" in terms of breakdown products that have to be processed?

3gP+2gF (bit fatty) = only 1.25g carbs/kg for 35cal
hmm 160g of fat per day.... gross :p

Last edited:
dicko work out what how much physical activity/life u have then work out your BMR to obtain calories.

The 40/40/20 i use on clients who want a clean bulk and works out well. I have several on it now. One has put on 8kg in 4 months with only 1% BF increase. Ill take pics of him soon.

40% from protien
40% from complex carbs
20% from good fats (fish oil/tuna oil/nuts etc)

MB, I know you recommend a minimum protein and fat consumption. Do you have a minimum carb consumption as well?
Unless you are an endurance athlete where a certain amount of carbohydrates (minimum of 2g/kg) become more 'essential' for performance, then No it is just for personal preference.

Some people function better on a higher carbohydrate intake and others (like myself) do not. For people who do not function well on carbohydrates, cycling them (higher intake for 1-2 days a week then back to low) tends to be the best option and doesn't seem to knock them around too much in terms of mental fogginess (I know real technical) while still allowing for glycogen replenishment and good exercise performance.

Back to topic for one second, As also explained by Emma-Leigh -

''Contrary to popular methods, I do not feel this should be based on a ratio of total calorie intake such as '30:40:30 or 40:40:20. Your body doesn't CARE what % intake you have for macronutrients. It works in terms of QUANTITY and therefore your level should relate back to your BODY and your bodies NEEDS in terms of LEAN MASS and ACTIVITY!!!''

Last edited:
Thanks for the guidance,
I work out that 35cals/kg is 4060 for me, which is what I reckon I eat anyway.:D

This works out around 230g Protein, 98g Fats, 555g leftover for carb.
Might lower the carb intake depending on how I feel after a week or so.
Then I may even it out towards the 40/40/20 ratio...
Thanks again

2gP+0.85gF = only 16cal out of 35cal/kg

energy easily comes from protein too, but eating 0.85g fat and 6.75g protein per kg seems... like a lot of steak. like nearly 2kg of it per day!

carbs make up the rest of the cals "cleanly" in terms of breakdown products that have to be processed?

3gP+2gF (bit fatty) = only 1.25g carbs/kg for 35cal
hmm 160g of fat per day.... gross :p

I might be wrong, but your calcs dont seem right to me at all....
Where did you get the 2kg steak from? lol

Imagine the fun of 555g of carbs! Yeah buddy.

If you have an insulin sensitivity issue I.E feeling sleepy, foggy or crashes etc adjust the carbs down. Whatever carbs you drop out, make the calories up with 70% coming from fats and 30% coming from protein :)

If you don't have any issues, go to town on the carbs!

Reading up on insulin sensitivy papers does my head in.. but ill get around to it soon enough .. max gimme a shortened version in my mail kthanks

hahahaha Trent. I like to keep that one simple.

High carb intake = feeling like shit = insulin sensitivity/imbalance. So GTFO carbs!

Again it is way to individual and more of a genetic induced issue than the cause of a dietary induced issue.

hahahaha Trent. I like to keep that one simple.

High carb intake = feeling like shit = insulin sensitivity/imbalance. So GTFO carbs!

Again it is way to individual and more of a genetic induced issue than the cause of a dietary induced issue.

When I used to read to much bro nutrition stuff I would drop carbs as low as possible when trying to lose weight. No surprise strength went to crap and felt like shit.

Now I have been slowly losing weight with carbs at 3-400g a day and been feeling great and still hitting PBs while losing weight. So I guess I do well with carbs.

How long after eating would this feeling like shit be likely to happen?

I used to think I was a bit insulin resistant (do have family history of diabetes) but since upping carb intake only good things have happened for me. I do cycle them on/off training days though. The only thing I've found is pop tarts too close to bed time is not a good idea for sleep quality :p

How long after eating would this feeling like shit be likely to happen?

I used to think I was a bit insulin resistant (do have family history of diabetes) but since upping carb intake only good things have happened for me. I do cycle them on/off training days though. The only thing I've found is pop tarts too close to bed time is not a good idea for sleep quality :p
For the most part if you 'increased' your carbohydrate intake from your normal daily intake, after about 3 days you would know :) But again it is way to individual to pin point a time frame.

When I used to read to much bro nutrition stuff I would drop carbs as low as possible when trying to lose weight. No surprise strength went to crap and felt like shit.

Now I have been slowly losing weight with carbs at 3-400g a day and been feeling great and still hitting PBs while losing weight. So I guess I do well with carbs.
Yep sounds like it Bazza, you lucky bastard :D

Yep sounds like it Bazza, you lucky bastard :D

Well like jz said I also have a bad family history of diabetes so assumed I would have issues with too many carbs but so far does not seem to be the case. Also had blood glucose test done and it was low.

For the most part if you 'increased' your carbohydrate intake from your normal daily intake, after about 3 days you would know :) But again it is way to individual to pin point a time frame.

Aah ok. Don't really have a normal intake anymore but seems to be working for me anyway.

I quite often read about people who say they feel very tired/sluggish directly after a high carb meal. I would have thought in most cases it would be more to do with total volume of food intake ie. overeating at lunch = arvo snooze :p

Well like jz said I also have a bad family history of diabetes so assumed I would have issues with too many carbs but so far does not seem to be the case. Also had blood glucose test done and it was low.
Carbs are your friend by the sounds of it. :)