• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Proper use of squat Rack

Is it ok to overhead press in the squat rack?

• Total voters

Shrek

Fucked up Kunce
Today while performing overhead press in the squat rack it occurred to me that if some one wanted to squat they couldn't becuase I was using the one and only squat rack to perform presses.
Usually if the squat rack is taken and i wish to overhead press I have no problen cleaning the bar off the floor, but others may not wish to do so.

So my question is:
Is it ok to overhead press in the squat rack thus depriving a potential squatter of squatting?

I believe its ok. If you want to work your overhead and can't clean the weight you can press for reasons of injury or pure retardation at cleans. Also few gyms have bumpers and some would frown at you for dumping the weight from that height.

However if you curl in the squat rack you're a fuckstick because its easy as shit to pick that bar off the floor. And If you are curling in the squat rack because you can't pick up the weight you are curling you should kill yourself.

I love your gentle approach El Freako :D

I look forward to seeing a squat rack & will curl in there (at a weight I can't manage) just to pay proper homage, to the above post lolol

However if you curl in the squat rack you're a fuckstick because its easy as shit to pick that bar off the floor. And If you are curling in the squat rack because you can't pick up the weight you are curling you should kill yourself.

This is awesome!

If you can't clean what your pressing you should work on your cleans. I don't know about everyone else but I never had a problem placing the weight down in the final part of the clean.

Other option is to just work in between sets but usually if you suggest this in a commercial gym you just get a shitty look.

I agree with freako though squat rack curlers need to be removed from the gene pool.

If i get the squat rack, i will do whatever the i want in it.
Deads, rows, overheads.
I can clean the overhead weight but so much easier to get a liftoff using the squat rack.

I curl 17.5 kg so this elimates any curling for me in the squat racks.

I cant squat in the fitness first squat racks, the side rails are too high and i dont like taking 10 steps back....

I believe its ok. If you want to work your overhead and can't clean the weight you can press for reasons of injury or pure retardation at cleans. Also few gyms have bumpers and some would frown at you for dumping the weight from that height.

Man of my own heart

If i get the squat rack, i will do whatever the i want in it.
Deads, rows, overheads.
I can clean the overhead weight but so much easier to get a liftoff using the squat rack.

I curl 17.5 kg so this elimates any curling for me in the squat racks.

I cant squat in the fitness first squat racks, the side rails are too high and i dont like taking 10 steps back....

Arent the sides adjustable? Otherwise you wont be able to squat as deep

If no one is around I'll overhead press in the squat rack but if someone is around you can usually tell if they are waiting for the squat rack, in which case I'm happy to clean the bar.

ha ha +1 with curls in the squat rack that shits just lazy and irritating

If you can't clean what your pressing you should work on your cleans. I don't know about everyone else but I never had a problem placing the weight down in the final part of the clean.

How much are you cleaning? I guess that is irrelevant...All I mean is that the difference between putting down carefully a load 90%+ of your max is obviously more difficult than 50-60%. When commy gyms don't have bumpers or flooring not suitable to have loads dropped...its quite problematic. That is why when I sneak into a gym (outside of my wl club), I'll clean the weight...rack it on the power rack pins...unload some weight then lower.

[/COLOR]

How much are you cleaning? I guess that is irrelevant...All I mean is that the difference between putting down carefully a load 90%+ of your max is obviously more difficult than 50-60%. When commy gyms don't have bumpers or flooring not suitable to have loads dropped...its quite problematic. That is why when I sneak into a gym (outside of my wl club), I'll clean the weight...rack it on the power rack pins...unload some weight then lower.

That sounds like a right fag to have to do with every rep

LOL

It twas I who voted for not using the squat rack ....muahahahahahaaaa

I got squat stands :D

In all seriousness, I couldn't give a flying fuck if someone was shoulder pressing in the rack, as long as they were using a weight that they needed the rack for. If it could be easily cleaned and than pressed and the gym was full I might have a go at them............but I train in my own cave, so don't give a rats:)

If you're paying the same as everyone else in the gym, do what ever feels good. No curling in there though, that's just fucked up.

At my gym there is really only one squat rack which people tend to use for deadlifts too. But since it's a commercial gym hardly anyone ever does either of these exercises so I rarely have to wait to use it.

Personally, my pressing weight isn't at the point where I can't clean it off the floor, but during the latter sets it does become more difficult to clean which is why I'll preferably be using the squat rack. So to answer the OP's question, I see it as first first in first served.

I remember once seeing this douche make another guy wait while he did push ups in the squat rack.