• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Program Wanted

On Wednesday you can do Military press instead of bench press and barbell rows instead on deadlift.
Wouldn't hurt to throwin some calf and ab work in one day.
And benches and military press will work your tri's and by adding rows your bi's will be stimulated....for sure.

Why not try this Giffo.
Monday
Squat
SLDL
Bench
Row
Abs

Wed
Deadlift
Chin up or pulldown
Military press
Calf

Fri
Squat
Row
Incline press
Tricep Extension supersetted with Barbell or dumbell curl (2 sets is sufficient)

Bench press works triceps shoulders and chest. Biceps are used slightly but not much. Biceps are over rated anyway.

Deadlifts work back, legs and "core".

Squats work legs, back and "core".

If you really want to do more then try for chin ups if you have a chin up bar or some monkey bars at a local park or what ever.

Chin ups work back and biceps.

As a beginner its better to think compound exercises that hit multiple muscles at once.

Fatigue

Hi all,

Just a quick question. As i do shift work and sometimes long hours i feel to drained to do a workout after work. As I train every second day, do you loose much muscle growth if you miss a workout or two ( like 2-3 workouts)???

I really feel guilty when I dont train. Is it a step backwards?
As I am 48+ i have been doing really well and enjoying the training and get see some real imrovements in muscle and strength gain. Even the misses reckons there is a gain in muscle!! Not sure if she means my head!
Anyway it's ADDICTIVE and loving it. 6 months so far.
The routines you guys gave me are working well. Weight increase since I last spoke.

Steve
:)

Most people reckon once a week is enough to maintain, and twice a week enough to grow, three times to be sure.

More is needed if you're at a higher level, it takes a lot of work just to maintain a powerlifter, professional bodybuilder or marathon runner's level of strength or fitness. But for us for whom it's not a profession, the above seems to be the case.

routine

Well boys my routine has come to a screaming halt. Last Friday 31st July I ripped my ligament from my thumb. Having surgery to re-attach ligament on Friday. Worried that I may loose my muscle etc.
Will be off work for 4-6 weeks. Restricted anyway.

As my left side of my chest is a tad smaller in the muscle i am thinking of doing dumbell weight on my right side to catch up. is this wise?

Plus what else can i do?

Steve:(

Holy moley steve how did you do that??! :( I live in fear that I would do something like that while rockclimbing (my beloved hobby)

do you have a physio you can talk to about it?

Just squat. Buy the book Super Squats by Randall Strossen and follow the squat program. You'll actually gain muscle not lose it.

Holy moley steve how did you do that??! :( I live in fear that I would do something like that while rockclimbing (my beloved hobby)

do you have a physio you can talk to about it?

Hi Kate,

Was putting my mates motorbike on a tilt tray tow truck. The 260 kg bike was involved in a accident with a car. As I was helping the towy the bike started to fall over. I let it go (or so i thought) and my left thumb got caught in the clutch and handlebar. Did not think much of it at first. Then my thumb blew out and i had pain from my thumb to my left chest muscle
MRI scan revealed ligament torn from thumb (they called it 'Skiers Thumb' Google and it will show you what it is).......... and tendon damage too!
Surgery and TIME to heal........ BUGGER!!
Physio when surgery completed I imagine......

Update

Well all, here is my update on my progress.

here is the routine I have been following since 27 September 2010.
I did have a short break due to work injuries. About 2 weeks all up.

WARM UP - WALK/STRETCHES

BARBEL SQUATS

3 X SETS (10) - 50KGS

BARBEL BENCH PRESS (FLAT BENCH)

3 x SETS (10) 55 KGS

BARBEL DEAD LIFTS

3 x SETS (10) - 55 KGS

ONE ARM DUMBELL ROWS

3 X SETS (10) - 20 KGS

MILITARY PRESS (DUMBELL BEHIND NECK)

3 X SETS (10) - 27.5 KGS

I have increased my weights but not by much. I have lost weight by 4 kgs at first then up by 2 kgs. Muscle growth. I have noticeable muscle growth in the chest and definately in the arms/shoulders/shoulder blade region. legs, well slowly. My bad knee plays havoc on me. Had cartlidge removed in 2005. Does not like too much weight....

Should i maintain this regime (as its feels good) or should I change some what?

I know I MUST start increasing my weights by 2% a week. Seems alot.....

Opinions!!

Last edited:
If you enjoy it and it works, no reason to change it. Keep lifting, add weight when you can. Even if it's just 2.5kg once a month, so what, in five years that's 125kg.

Kyle's second point is a very good one. And is a pet hate of mine when people complain they have to start light or can only add x amount each workout.
Although I'll readily admit to trying to go too heavy early on when I first started out. Quickly learned my lesson :p