• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

probs with bent rows!!

alex

gday guys, im really really struggling to get bent rows down packed. im finding that im too tall and just cant get down to do them with good form. am i doing something wrong?? does anyone else have this problem? is there any other lift that i can do in a bent rows place??

cheers alex

As haz said go for the 1 arm db rows, i have trouble with bent over rows too, so just stick with the db

too tall? Im 6"6 and dont have any issues... can you explain what your struggling with in more detail? If youre struggling to get them up with good form then its too heavy, back off the weight until you can do it comfortably, add 10% and move from there.

I started rows with 40kg and jumped quickly to 60kg, found my form suffered a lot from the jump so went back to 50kg.

Now rowing 90kg 3x8. :)

Need more info to help you out more mate.

i try not bouncing either like that guy. i find i get more of a burn when i pause with the bar near my torso and then slowly back down... each to their own i suppose. what is the problem you seem to be having mate?

I do them like Morgan's guy, except without the humping to cheat ;)

Straight-legged, bent right over, right from the ground seems like it'd be rough on your lower back... and certainly more difficult than the 45 degree version.

ok i have been doing them wrong. as opposed to the guy in that video i was told to do them from the ground, which for me started off like a deadlift. but if that video is how you should be doing them then i shouldnt have any problems now. cheers for all your replies guy. is that how everyone else does them?

ok just went and tried it the videos way. easy as guys!! thanks heaps for your replies. feels really good too.

cheers

Good luck from now on.

That guy is using his legs too much, if you cant lift it without using drive from the legs you are going too heavy imo.

yeah totally agree with this eaglebay. and how in the video he is bouncing them off his stomache/chest. i would bring the bar up, rest then lower. no bouncing!!

I havent watched the videos, but a lot of your comments are disturbing, pause, burn, straight legs, bouncing off chest, lower slowly etc

I never thought for one minute this exercise was that complicated, obviously I was wrong.

Bend over, make sure your back is flat, pull bar to belly button, repeat.

Your legs should never be straight, you should be using enough weight to make sure its impossible to pause, whether your 45 or 90 degree is irrelevant, the bar should be nowhere near your chest

Too upright it turns into a shrug.
One thing to keep in mind is that it is a back exercise.
Picture the resistance behind your elbow-the forearm and hand is just a hook.
Pull the bar up to the belly.

If you can maintain straight legs while maintaining your backs natural curvature you are a freak :)

Last edited:
i used to do them bent over, rep starting with bar hanging down in hands, up to stomach, repeat. legs slightly bent.

Now i do them as prescribed in SS. Every rep begins from a dead stop, bar on floor like a deadlift. rep begins with a small hip/glute contraction, bar comes up and hits stomach, bar returns to floor. You can use more weight and putting the bar down on floor helps ur lower back so it doesn't have to support a bar going down and stopping in ur hands