• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Prepping for my first comp!

hightower

Banned
Well I'm competing in the 3 lift novice comp at PTC this Sunday, my first comp.
I'm really excited and looking forward to it, but I don't really know what I should be doing in preparation. What do I eat, do the day before etc?
I'm pretty new to this so any tips and advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Just eat as you normally would. Don't worry about what you weigh in at, it's only your first comp. Eat up. Lift big. Have fun.

Agree with Mitch, Just eat normal, drink lots of water. Stretch a few times this week & relax.

Go in there, have a good time & learn as much as you can!

Beers and Pizza the night before you want to be fully carb loaded.

With a side of chilli fries and a litre of coke. You want both fast and slow acting carbs to fully hyperpotentiate your anti-catabolic state and increase insulinemic turn over to completely saturate your cells for the hyperoptimal carb load.

Eat as normal, but don't eat too much the night before, or you'll spend the whole morning going to the toilet and that'll make you nervous.

Sleep well.

No fapping.

Bring food & drinks with you: bananas, chocolate, gatorade, sandwiches.

Don't drink red bull or any high caffeinated drinks on the day.

The squat opener is the most important lift to get rid of the nerves, so choose a weight that you can easily do.

Good luck & have fun!

Well my coaches are against it on comp day. With adrenalin already running high naturally, it would send my heart racing like crazy (I had two red bulls at the last comp) and made it very hard to maintain control. You want calm and controlled aggression instead of your body getting into a crazy out of control fight-or-flight aggression. A clear mind is very useful when you're already nervous and not quite familiar with all this stuff as a novice to lifting competitions.

I don't know much about this stuff (some here know better) but isn't caffeine the exact opposite of anabolic, because of the increased cortisol level it induces?

Well my coaches are against it on comp day. With adrenalin already running high naturally, it would send my heart racing like crazy (I had two red bulls at the last comp) and made it very hard to maintain control. You want calm and controlled aggression instead of your body getting into a crazy out of control fight-or-flight aggression. A clear mind is very useful when you're already nervous and not quite familiar with all this stuff as a novice to lifting competitions.

I don't know much about this stuff (some here know better) but isn't caffeine the exact opposite of anabolic, because of the increased cortisol level it induces?
which coaches say that? Two redbulls might be over-kill for you, but I have 1 before I deadlift. Caffeine gets you going and i need that after squatting and benching.
I don't know much either, but I thought cortisol is a hormone that is responsible for fat storage in the body. If so, I don't care! I thought fat was anabolic LOL! Give me that yummy caffeine!

Last edited:
It was old John and Robert who told me so. I think it's more applicable to us newbies than the experienced lifters who have better control mentally. I had one red bull (the small 250ml) about half an hour before squat and one before bench. Bad idea!

you are wrong, they are anabolic.

stimulant and anabolic are not mutually exclusive terms. please read the meaning of anabolic.

Caffeine -

It raises cortisol (catabolic) - BAD
Increases adrenaline which exhausts the adrenal gland - BAD
Over loads your CNS which is already stressing through lifting weights - BAD...

By anabolic I am assuming you mean your body is in an anabolic state (anabolism) which promotes muscle growth...

Caffeine does not do that as cortisol (catabolic) levels are elevated...

Though for strength I am not too sure as you would be in a state with more adrenalin which could be beneficial???

I learnt all this information from the book I stole from nOObs (Caffeine Blues), it makes a shit load of sense to be honest after reading half of it (he stole it back before I finished it)...

But caffeine may help in strength performance though not in being in an anabolic state...

But then again, what would I know...

Daniel.

FFS it's a piss weak stimulant on comp day. It's hardly going to have you wasting away to skelator.

Get protein every 3 hours on the 362 or so days you don't compete and you'll be fine.

Some if you guys on here worry about the little shit way to much.

Don't drink red bull or any high caffeinated drinks on the day.

I have more stimulants in me than the USA ecconmy when I compete. Each to their own I guess....

FFS
Get protein every 3 hours on the 362 or so days you don't compete and you'll be fine.

There is actaully not a lot of 'Scientific' evidence to show a correlation between large protein intakes & strength .....

Last edited:
Caffeine used to be on the banned substance list, at certain levels.

It didnt get there because it DIDNT work.

Its a stimulant and it may help some lifters.

Your training previous to the comp will be of more benefit than a latte on the day