• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Preference for Chest Workout-Barbell or Dumbbell

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
What is your preference when it comes to training your chest, flat and incline, is it barbell or dumbbell or do you switch them up?

I do both Flat and incline in the week, currently doing BB but I do change it around and use DB as well.

DB's

There are also some really good bio-mechanically correct chest-press machines.

i think a good machine needs to have a converging movement and the handles need to be angled like this: ( \ )Rather than like this: ( | ) or this : ( / ).. Or this ( — )

DB for flat bench as a preference, but have started incorporating more barbell on the flat. Just find DBs easier on my shoulder.

Barbell for flat, DB for flat and incline. Find it to much of a pain in the arse to use a barbell for incline in my power rack

Never barbell, as soon as I incorporate barbell flat bench my shoulders start playing up, instead:

Incline - DB
Flat - Hammer Strength Press (I just find it a safer option and much easier on my shoulders than barbell)

Otherwise, dips.

BB for the flat bench for me. Will have to start doing some incline flies soon though with some DBs

Why do Kunce try to mimic a press when doing cake cross overs.? If ya wanna bench then bench. Kunce drive me batty.

They stand virtually upright and press the handles rather than using a fly motion where the arms come across the chest. So the are essentially doing s standing press. The main function of the pecs is to bring the arms across the body, that's the point of the exercise. Kunce.

Agree, but there are a few variations of the cable cross over, having said that I believe it's a fly not a press.

[MENTION=895]Shrek[/MENTION]; i get what you mean, the starting oosition for them will be with arm bent at 90 deg basically exactly the same as you would if you benching dbs, wheras the cable cross over you would generally start with your arms stretched out or with a slight bend and squeeze your pecs throughout the movement knstead of oressing the cables.

Will do mainly flat bench or incline bench - putting starting to add abit more DB work back in now.

I alternate between these 2 routines each time:

1:
BB flat bench
DB flies (flat)

2:
DB incline
DB flies (flat)

Works well for me as part of my full body workout.