• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Predicted effect of Armstrong on Powerlifting

ok, will try and be specific.

a.) Could you still define what "competitive athletes" are in your mind?

There are some problems in what i am saying as many non-athletes take illegal drugs just to look good, pick up, or even enhance their stage presentation (strippers, actors).

So, nowithstanding this problem, i refer to competitive athletes as those who compete in an organised sport where there are rules, federations and so on. It can include bodybuilding and all competitive sports where drugs can be performance enhancing.

b.) In terms of objective - it is the health dangers posed by drugs (I assume you are not just talking about steroids here) that you want to see avoided by having drug testing. The logic being that if people know they will be tested rigorously in and out of competition then they will avoid taking drugs (banned drugs that is)?

I think if there is an effective random and in-comp drug testing program, even with low rates of testing, this would have a major impact.

Again, it could be argued that other drugs are more dangerous for health, but i am focusing on performance enhancing drugs that give users will have an immense advantage. I know of many who have suffered health problems, although i recognise that relatively safe usage can occur, at least amongst the sane more likely to be infleunced by logic.

Again, all i am saying that tougher testing can be introduced, which I would personally support if I was asked as part of a community.

Last edited:
ok, will try and be specific.

a.) Could you still define what "competitive athletes" are in your mind?

There are some problems in what i am saying as many non-athletes take illegal drugs just to look good, pick up, or even enhance their stage presentation (strippers, actors).

So, nowithstanding this problem, i refer to competitive athletes as those who compete in an organised sport where there are rules, federations and so on. It can include bodybuilding and all competitive sports where drugs can be performance enhancing.

b.) In terms of objective - it is the health dangers posed by drugs (I assume you are not just talking about steroids here) that you want to see avoided by having drug testing. The logic being that if people know they will be tested rigorously in and out of competition then they will avoid taking drugs (banned drugs that is)?

I think if there is an effective random and in-comp drug testing program, even with low rates of testing, this would have a major impact.

Again, it could be argued that other drugs are more dangerous for health, but i am focusing on performance enhancing drugs that give users will have an immense advantage. I know of many who have suffered health problems, although i recognise that relatively safe usage can occur, at least amongst the sane more likely to be infleunced by logic.

Again, all i am saying that tougher testing can be introduced, which I would personally support if I was asked as part of a community.

Thanks Chris - that clarifies matters for me.

hard to say. the Ipf are drug carzy as it is. with other non tested federations such as the wpc no effect what so ever. the greatest powerlifting champs all used. clean powerlifting is a total contradiction of the ethos of the sport - the strongest by any means.

I would hope that IPF/PA are clean. Or at least I would like to rely upon their policies in defense of any performance that is posted.