• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Pre/Post workout window

macca

Hey guys first post on hte forums so gday,

How does everyone approach the pre/post workout window?

This is a thread for members to post the pre/post workout nutrition, give their thought on how it's worked and gain critique from other members.

I'll start, any critique or advice is welcomed.

Previously

Solid meal of protein source, vegies/salad 1 h before training, peice of fruit 30 m prior.
Then post workout a wpc shake and peice of fruit directly after
folllowed by a solid meal protein and vegies and hour later.

Recently started bulking and changed it up a little.
2-3 peices of fruit 30 m prior, wpc shake 15 m prior
WPC shake and 2 peices of fruit directly after
followed by protein, 2 slices of bread and salad an hour later.

I seem to be recovering better with my new protocol, but i am eating more in other meals aswell. Iv'e also put on a fair amount of body fat but weights are going up, so it's working. On previous i was lossing bf but lifts were stalled.

Cheers, macca.

Last edited:
You want to play on your insulin levels post workout (pre and during too depending but to a lesser degree). From your post I do not really see much of that at all.
Posted via Mobile Device

The problem with fruit is that it's usually fructose which has a lower GI rating then glucose. The higher the GI, the greater the insulin spike. The greater the insulin spike, the more nutirents are pumped into your muscles :)

Craft said it for me. Dextrose would be a better choice keep the fruit for other meals. Bread is fine for the actual meal after the post workout shake, chicken sandwhich or something similar. I have spaghetti at the moment myself.
Posted via Mobile Device

I've had tuna and rice before i train and postworkout i've had a protein shake with BCAAs Glutamine and dextrose.

The problem with fruit is that it's usually fructose which has a lower GI rating then glucose. The higher the GI, the greater the insulin spike. The greater the insulin spike, the more nutirents are pumped into your muscles :)

Fructose actually has no insulin response as it is only metabolised in the liver.. So fructose is good for replacing glycogen depleted in the liver however it doesnt do much for anywhere else... Fruit is still good pre and post.. especially pineapple due to the enzymes it contains. But i would also be having dextrose (glucose) ..

So in your opinion the peices of fruit pre/post w/o and bread in pwm arn't enough?

There are two kinds of fruits that come to mind that would fit the bill here Macca; these are watermelon with its GI of 71 and (wait for it!), dates with their GI of 105. That is correct, dates rate higher than glucose itself with its 100 score on the glycimic index. That is why I have advised people to carry few dates in their gym bags and to have them as they are walking out of the gym with a glass of water (even before they make it to their vehicle). Now this recommendation only applies to one who is interested in an insulin spike after training via the fruit food catagory; otherwise simple table sugar would do the trick with it GI of 68, which is sufficient enough to raise your blood sugar levels.

Fadi.

Cheers for responses guys.

In the past i have used maltodextrin etc in post w/o shake, but now i prefer to get all my nutrients from whole foods (apart from protein shake and fish oils tabs) hence the fruit and sandwich.

Cheers for responses guys.

In the past i have used maltodextrin etc in post w/o shake, but now i prefer to get all my nutrients from whole foods (apart from protein shake and fish oils tabs) hence the fruit and sandwich.

Just remember it is impossible to get enough vitmains from whole foods to support optimal health.

Well go on then... how do you figure? (Not in a sparcastic or aggresive tone, genuinly interested)

Im going to wrtie it very brief...

Maybe we could of gotten everything naturally like we were intended long ago before we decided to **** out food and grow shit food from bad soil...

Our world is now filled with toxins that we are not supposed to be exposed too..

Alot of adults even have mercury in their heads how crazy is that!! This is the most toxic substance known to man that is not radioactive.

Anyway are antioxidants.. In this day and age the demand for anti oxidants is higher then ever. Antioxidants protect us from digenerative disease and DNA damage.

Everyone is dieing of cancer and degenerative disease because of why?? Is it such a big mystery, no it isnt.. We know how and why antioxidants work. We know what causes cancer and digenerative diseases. Free radical damage..

Free radical damage can not be avoided, the simple exchange of oxygen and atp to energy creates free radicals.

Think of free radicals like this.. THey are bullies who come and steal your money in the school yard. What antioxidants do is they give the money that was stolen back to the person who it was stolen from free of charge and happily do so...

I can explain how this happens in depth but it might confuse some people so its best to keep it at that..

Vitamin C is a very potent antioxidant.. However the rdi is only there ensure people dont get defficiency related diseases it is not designed for prevention and treatment of disease..

So what is it? 55 60mg of vitmain c a day? Im currently taking 12000mg daily...

there are alot of books i can reccomend and alot of reading I can suggest people do but unless they want this knowledge it will not be given to them by anyone... As it impliments there is something wrong with our current way of life wich there is.. We are not supposed to consume 500ml V drinks and donuts for morning tea.

People refuse to listen because it means there is something wrong with what they have been taught and doing and they dont want to leave their little bubble..

Thats why people still use treadmils and join weight watchers. Because they are scared ignorant and dont want to find answers for them selves they want to be told what to do..

About the Kakadu Plum

Fair point although still not impossible to get your vitamin C through whole foods... Have some Kakadu plum, It contains 3000mg of Vitamin C per 100g of fruit.

So even if you believe you need to go to the extremes of 12000 a day... just eat 400g through out the day... they taste great as well.

About the Kakadu Plum

Fair point although still not impossible to get your vitamin C through whole foods... Have some Kakadu plum, It contains 3000mg of Vitamin C per 100g of fruit.

So even if you believe you need to go to the extremes of 12000 a day... just eat 400g through out the day... they taste great as well.

12g isnt extreme.. Compared to the measly RDI it is but everyones saturation is different. $49 a kilo of asorbic acid is cheaper then buying those things.

Also Im taking about 2-3000mg of niacin a day. Thats a shit load of chicken and fish to eat.

12g isnt extreme.. Compared to the measly RDI it is but everyones saturation is different. $49 a kilo of asorbic acid is cheaper then buying those things.

Also Im taking about 2-3000mg of niacin a day. Thats a shit load of chicken and fish to eat.

We weren't talking about cost. I was just showing you that it isn't impossible... Also, not sure you need that much Niacin.

Toxic effects of excess Niacin intake

Doses in excess of 1000 mg of nicotinic acid can produce flushing of the skin, intense itching, headaches, tingling and burning, severe heartburn, nausea, vomiting, abnormalities of glucose metabolism, and eye problems such as blurred vision. The flushing is caused by the action of hormone-like compounds called prostaglandins which dilate blood vessels. Doses in the thousands of milligrams can cause liver damage and jaundice (a yellowing of the skin and eyes). The flushing can be minimized by taking nicotinic acid with meals or by taking an aspirin 30 minutes before each dose. The nicotinamide form of niacin does not cause flushing.

We weren't talking about cost. I was just showing you that it isn't impossible... Also, not sure you need that much Niacin.

Toxic effects of excess Niacin intake

Doses in excess of 1000 mg of nicotinic acid can produce flushing of the skin, intense itching, headaches, tingling and burning, severe heartburn, nausea, vomiting, abnormalities of glucose metabolism, and eye problems such as blurred vision. The flushing is caused by the action of hormone-like compounds called prostaglandins which dilate blood vessels. Doses in the thousands of milligrams can cause liver damage and jaundice (a yellowing of the skin and eyes). The flushing can be minimized by taking nicotinic acid with meals or by taking an aspirin 30 minutes before each dose. The nicotinamide form of niacin does not cause flushing.

Becareful what you read on the internet..

Niacin is not toxic...

http://www.amazon.com/Orthomolecular-Medicine-Everyone-Megavitamin-Therapeutics/dp/1591202264

Good book to read..

Noobs, you should make a compilation of all the most important things you have learnt and post it up; a summary if you will.

Would make a good read and maybe all of us can learn something.