• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

PowerTec vs MMPR Rack (non commercial)

As much as i really want the MM commercial rack, it looks like i might be forced to put my rack in the garage at this point which doesn't have the clearance to pull the commercial spotter rods out the front. (and i'll be going side on to maximise bar space width wise, so my front to back clearance is the limitation, the garage is only 8-9 feet wide all said.

Any thoughts on these two racks (won't be getting lat attachment)

the Muscle motion definitely has better pullup bars, the powertec has better dip handles, I'm not too worried about the cost difference if the powertec is better.

Worried about sturdiness, minimum shake on racking weights/pullups (i'm 110kg), confidence to fail heavy (~180kg) squats onto the bars, foot spacing for squats from the rear bars

How much clearance would i need front to back to effectively use the MM rack with 20kg plates on and have space to pull the spotter bars out?

JHook comparison between powertec and muscle motion (non commercial rack?), experiences? - confidence in the rack is key.

I want something that will do me 2-3 years, assuming i have space at that point i'll upgrade to the commercial rack

(Will have ironmaster bench to use with it, (+ cable tower, dumbells etc). I'm looking at getting iron edge weight plates (i like the colours :))

This could be an option for you:

Body Solid Pro Club Line Multi Squat Rack

$1200 after discount.
Body Solid makes good products.

Can do everything inside the rack including overhead press, and deadlifts at the rear section of the rack.

Great looking rack and definitely an option, it might make my garage space feel a little cramped though, even with the back right against the wall (making the weight holders unusable for 20s?) ... this would be a tight squeeze to position a flat bench for bench press in my garage. (I'm thinking from the end of the iron master bench to the back wall is going to be about 220cm and a longer bench could make this closer to 230, more if i space the rack from the back wall to use the weight holders?)

I think for the garage i probably want a rack more the dimensions of the MMPR or the powertec with either the rack above or the MM commercial as a longer term option. (and i'm still tempted by the commercial)

Although i'll remeasure and tape out the dimensions tonight to understand how it would work in my space.

(from memory the garage is something like 2500 wide, maybe even slightly less (the old kind you'd struggle to fit a car in), perhaps 2250 high at lowest point (might be slightly higher, (would probably be able to do pullups between beams though), i'll be able to use somewhere from 3500 to 5000 odd in length once a few boxes are considered)

will measure up and draw some diagrams.

With regards to the PowerTec and the MMPR i'm wondering which would be better in terms of incline press (being able to get the bench back far enough) and in terms of feet not hitting the bottom bar when racking squats..

Any opinions?

I have a Powertec rack which I use and abuse 4-5 times a week. I've had it going on three years now and it's still as solid and indestructible today as the day I put her together... Although she is showing some war marks (scratches from racking the bar) ;)

I don't know about the MMPR but I had the powertec. Was a great rack and stood up really well. I had 300kg on the safties so they are good. I always squatted from the inside of the front of the rack so feet hitting the bar wasn't and issue. However doing incline in the rack wasn't possible with the piece accross the back. I did my inclines on the front of the rack (outside). Hope that helps.

Looks like there is a third contender, the 'middle' force USA rack from gym and fitness with similar ratings.

Force USA - Power Rack with Band Attachments

Any thoughts?

I'm tending towards the powertec at present, even though i do prefer the look of the chinup bars on the Muscle motion.

Has anyone tried doing inclines inside the rack facing backwards with any of these racks (especially the powertec) , particularly with the ironmaster bench? ... (ie rack the bar on the inside front)