• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Powerlifting: The Good, Bad and Ugly - tnation article

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
[h=2]Here's what you need to know...[/h] •  Powerlifting is awesome, except for some of the fat physiques, the gaggle of federations, the rampant drug use and the supportive garb that allows you to artificially bench more than you can deadlift.
•  The rise of raw powerlifting has been positive. It's more relatable to the average lifter and appeals to those who'd rather see a more honest display of strength.

•  Despite its flaws, powerlifting is a primal rush, and signing up for a meet is one of the best things you can do to ramp up your training progress.

T Nation | Powerlifting: The Good, Bad and Ugly

Ridiculous article. Its been receiving a blasting by the powerlifting community everywhere else I've seen it posted over the past couple of days.

What's wrong with it.

The opening line bashes geared lifting straightaway and exposes the close-minded view of the author that powerlifting is only the mess of "I'll pass anything" feds in the US, totally ignoring the rest of the world and in particular the IPF which is the largest fed in the world and who's lifters don't resemble his fat (mostly not), drug-abusing (definitely not), multi-ply whores (definitely not) at all.

His silly rant about the olympics is ridiculous as well, again ignoring the existence of the IPF who are actually bringing everything in line for IOC recognition (as unlikely as it may be) and again obsessing over the backyard fed mess that is US powerlifting. The US may have been the birthplace of powerlifting but the US is not the be all and end all of powerlifting.

His "good" list even has a further bash at geared powerlifting. As much as I love raw powerlifting it is just a part of powerlifting, internationally equipped powerlifting is still far more popular.

Its an article on powerlifting by a guy who seems to have no fucking clue about powerlifting. Its like he just looked up Westside Barbell vids on youtube as his reference and left it at that for research.

Last edited:
I would like to see powerlifting get bigger, but dont think it ever will without the USA and a prime emphasis on raw lifting.

just my opinion.

I would like to see powerlifting get bigger, but dont think it ever will without the USA and a prime emphasis on raw lifting.

just my opinion.

like it or not it's in the USA where the lifting heritage goes way back, I mean way back.
some of the story's are just cool.

Once [MENTION=10208]aljada[/MENTION]; got in an argument with Bret Contreras over selling a shitty $400 piece of equipment for the glutes that could be done without it
Bret got really mad and asked aljada how many glutes he had "transformed". From then on we knew aljada as the One True Glute Transformer

True story

I thought he had a point when he said that if there wasn't a whole bunch of feds, they would have a better chance of it being made an Olympic sport.

Like it or not, there is a stereotype, that powerlifters are unaesthetic, lack conditioning and are fat.

That said, T Nation and EliteFTS have been churning out some garbage articles lately.

Who's Bret contrarians?
there seems to be one a week these days.
one minute everyone is pulling their dick over some bloke nek minut he's the worst.

Who's Bret contrarians?
there seems to be one a week these days.
one minute everyone is pulling their dick over some bloke nek minut he's the worst.

He has been around for a while.

Self proclaimed glute expert. Claims he has done more glute research than anyone in the world. Thinks hip thrusts cure cancer.

He has always been a dick.

He has been around for a while.

Self proclaimed glute expert. Claims he has done more glute research than anyone in the world. Thinks hip thrusts cure cancer.

He has always been a dick.

Sounds like he spends too much time worrying about other peoples ass'.

I don't know why people have to compare raw with equipped. They are two different sports.

I lift raw cos I don't want to have the hassle of training and competing in a compression suit. Plus its cheaper and I can train alone without having the need for someone to dress me.

The main problem I see with the sport is not politics or different rules, it's shitty judging, more often with the squat than any other lift. We all seem to have the similar squat rules when it comes to depth, but far too often it's "interpreted" differently by judges depending on who's lifting suit they wanna suck. The dave hoff "world record" squat, for example, was run by westside and the shitty shallow, nowhere near depth world record squat was judged by Mr Simmons himself. Hardly an impartial judge. Or an honest one if you look at the vid. Even Stevie Wonder could see that was shallow.

I have no idea why having 300 different federations has any impact on the IOC. All they need is one federation that meets their requirements. After that, you either join that federation or you don't compete in the olympics. Right? I think that would be a self regulating force.

As far as the article goes, the guy is a dipstick. Nothing like a bit of controversy to increase web site traffic. The fake supps team at T-nation just laps up dat chit. Frankly, if I looked like Dan Green but could put 20% on my lifts by putting on 10kg of fat, I would do it. It's not bodybuilding or Mr Physique. It's who is the strongest muddahfuqqa in da room.

To judge a lifter on his bodyfat percentage is about as fukkn stupid as judging Mr Olympia on how much they can bench.

Oh, and if you want to see what sort of benching style the IOC will accept, just watch the paralympics bench pressers. Head off bench, chest bouncing, soft lockout bench presses will not do the job. The IPF is the only federation that has a snowflake's chance in hell of getting accepted into the less than squeaky clean olympics.

Last edited:
I don't think there are any powerlifting feds that meet IOC requirements. For example, the USA IPF affiliate does not adhere to WADA accredited testing, at least prior to 2014.

Last edited:
I don't know why people have to compare raw with equipped. They are two different sports.

I lift raw cos I don't want to have the hassle of training and competing in a compression suit. Plus its cheaper and I can train alone without having the need for someone to dress me.

The main problem I see with the sport is not politics or different rules, it's shitty judging, more often with the squat than any other lift. We all seem to have the similar squat rules when it comes to depth, but far too often it's "interpreted" differently by judges depending on who's lifting suit they wanna suck. The dave hoff "world record" squat, for example, was run by westside and the shitty shallow, nowhere near depth world record squat was judged by Mr Simmons himself. Hardly an impartial judge. Or an honest one if you look at the vid. Even Stevie Wonder could see that was shallow.

I have no idea why having 300 different federations has any impact on the IOC. All they need is one federation that meets their requirements. After that, you either join that federation or you don't compete in the olympics. Right? I think that would be a self regulating force.

As far as the article goes, the guy is a dipstick. Nothing like a bit of controversy to increase web site traffic. The fake supps team at T-nation just laps up dat chit. Frankly, if I looked like Dan Green but could put 20% on my lifts by putting on 10kg of fat, I would do it. It's not bodybuilding or Mr Physique. It's who is the strongest muddahfuqqa in da room.

To judge a lifter on his bodyfat percentage is about as fukkn stupid as judging Mr Olympia on how much they can bench.

Oh, and if you want to see what sort of benching style the IOC will accept, just watch the paralympics bench pressers. Head off bench, chest bouncing, soft lockout bench presses will not do the job. The IPF is the only federation that has a snowflake's chance in hell of getting accepted into the less than squeaky clean olympics.

Yeah it's hard enough for me to climb into my skins and then put on my TKs before squatting already