• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Powerlifting in Prison

wingman

Super M0derator
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhF4Kpg6soc]Powerlifting in Prison - YouTube[/ame]

Pretty awesome that they're doing some productive with their time away instead of just watching tv and playing playstation like majority do, or worse ganking each other.

Whats the verdict though, should they be allowed such a privilege?

Is getting them stronger a bad idea? Makes them harder to control in a riot situation.

Personally I'm all for it.

Great idea. But then, I also think it should be a mandatory part of education in Australia (and elsewhere, I guess).

What makes people physically, mentally and socially stronger, can only be a good thing, in the long run. For those who've been prosecuted (right or wrong) and thrown in prison, maybe more so than ever.

That's my take on it.

edit: But then, I'm of the mind that if rehabilitation isn't achieved, prison is all but pointless - these people will be back in society sooner or later, remember. So, the more (of the effective kind), the better - particularly when it involves hard work of some sort. And yeah, being truly dedicated to lifting weights is hard work, of course.

Last edited:
Powerlifting in Prison - YouTube

Pretty awesome that they're doing some productive with their time away instead of just watching tv and playing playstation like majority do, or worse ganking each other.

Whats the verdict though, should they be allowed such a privilege?

Is getting them stronger a bad idea? Makes them harder to control in a riot situation.

Personally I'm all for it.

saw that on a doco on discovery channel one time

while some might ask , is a stronger prisoner really a good idea ? But i guess when you look at the powerlifting program as being a privilege that many would be pissed to lose they wouldn't jeapordise such a thing over something petty

If you don't give a prisoner anything to lose they would be harder to control , but give them something minor like a powerlifting program , something that will break up the day to day routine of prison life and they'll anything to hold onto something to make prison life that little bit more bearable

My guess is that these people are in medium security prisons or less and have a clean history in prison
Powerlifting teaches dedication and working for reward which the lack of is pretty much what landed them in their in the first place

First we got to define; what is prison for?

Fuck rehab bring back the death sentence and start culling some of the scum from our society. Jail is just like a holiday for these scumbags until they can get back on the streets and reoffend. Jail should break them, jail should be somewhere they fear being put in. Fuck knows their victims have to live with the consequences of their crimes then offenders should feel that pain 100 x

Fuck rehab bring back the death sentence and start culling some of the scum from our society. Jail is just like a holiday for these scumbags until they can get back on the streets and reoffend. Jail should break them, jail should be somewhere they fear being put in. Fuck knows their victims have to live with the consequences of their crimes then offenders should feel that pain 100 x

x 723 million!

Hmmm...if, hypothetically, powerlifting helped redeem an inmate and give them a new sense of purpose, thereby resulting them becoming a good law-abiding member of the community, what is wrong with that.

Would any of you know if you were speaking one such person face to face?

No doubt there are respected members of the powerlifting community who are ex-inmates.

Would you say such things to their face? I doubt it.

People are very quick to judge from behind a keyboard.

I seen that on discovery before. Bloody great idea anyone whos spent time in prisons knows the worst part is the boredom. Fights, grudges, riots all stem from boredom. Some bro will always ruin it by killing someone with a weight, but wouldn't be prison if it was full of good eggs haha

Hmmm...if, hypothetically, powerlifting helped redeem an inmate and give them a new sense of purpose, thereby resulting them becoming a good law-abiding member of the community, what is wrong with that.

Would any of you know if you were speaking one such person face to face?

No doubt there are respected members of the powerlifting community who are ex-inmates.

Would you say such things to their face? I doubt it.

People are very quick to judge from behind a keyboard.

If that is the case then prison - I suppose has done its job.

I'm all for rehab.

So give them something else to do? Like take care of wounded animals. Or cook for the homeless, or write Santa letters to children, or grow vegetables and fruit for the local shelters? Or teach them to sew so they can make blankets for orphanages, or get them to assemble wheelchairs for the disabled.

I agree they need to do something. I think a means of commitment in assisting the community is a better way to assist in 'rehabilitating' them, than allowing them to get bigger and more powerful and utilise all of that raging testosterone.

They are afforded too many privelidges. They're criminals.

IF they're going to be kept occupied in prison, let it be through doing constructive things for the community they've been jailed from. Build something, learn something, create something for their local community - but I do think it has to be less about testosterone and power and more about providing a service.

Nothing makes you feel better, than giving to others. I think alot of inmates could benefit from that feeling of service to their community, good will and accomplishment. I would bet, most of them have never felt any of those things before.

Last edited: