• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Power Cleans

John555

Banned
Hi, I'm looking to incorporate power cleans into my training to help with explosiveness. Does anyone think it is realistic to learn the power clean just by watching a few videos and tutorials online?

Basically what I think happens is that I start in a position similar to the deadlift. Then I slowly pick up the bar until it reaches mid thigh height, then as fast as I can, thrust my hips forward, extend my knees, and ankles while shrugging to catch the bar.

What I dont really understand is why in some videos the person doing the power clean appears to jump then land?

Also, any pointers and tips for someone who has never done them before?

Also what weights should I start with, how should I progress etc? Same as with squats and deads? make all sets, add 2.5kg etc.

Thanks.

thats how i learnt.. i watched and watched and watched all the olympic lifters and tried to replicate the lift as best i could. eventually gettin pointers from other lifters who knew how to do it... i think there a great movement

the jump is usualy the explosive ending to get the bar into motion so that you can position yourself under it to recieve it in the front squat position. Basically if you watch a video of someone with good form again closely, you will notice towards the top of the "shrug" they begin to almost stand on their toes before their feet begin to leave the ground, this happens because the calf muscle has a very strong mechanical advantage and adds to the lift, so rather than just leaving this muscle group out it gets used, just the same as if you were to try and dead lift, but not use your quads... your basically doing a good morning then but wont be able to lift as much weight because your not using as many muscle groups as possible :p The rest of your description sounds pretty right but there still could be things wrong with the technique, best bet is take a recording of yourself and let the brains on the forum here help to pick out any minor issues :) Best of luck champ

Here is a nice vid of Eddie cleaning 120kg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/user/PTCFrankston#p/u/50/P2xR7aZhDcQ]YouTube - PTCFrankston's Channel[/ame]

This next video shows Trish, Alen and Max cleaning 90kg, first at normal speed, the 2 slower versions. Max has the best technique, followed by Trish. Trish has had coaching by Robbert Kabbas, Max learnt from videos and tutorials.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/user/PTCFrankston#p/u/167/sTm4Sn-G0XI]YouTube - PTCFrankston's Channel[/ame]

Tommy Kono

This will help you a bit, its mainly about the snatch put his tips will do you well for your PC.

[YOUTUBE]wt423i1w6vs[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
i find with mine and my mates power cleans that we are barley getting off the ground in our jumps also i got a vid of my self and looks weak like im not producing much power at all altho it feels like i am when i do it
il post a vid up

Thanks for the tips. I tried some today in the gym. The jump part I think I'm getting, but I need a lot of work on shrugging and catching the bar under me. Thanks for all the vids and advice.

Its all practice that gets you there in the end, warm up with just the bar (or a broomstick if you can) to just practice technique.

Hi, I'm looking to incorporate power cleans into my training to help with explosiveness. Does anyone think it is realistic to learn the power clean just by watching a few videos and tutorials online?

Basically what I think happens is that I start in a position similar to the deadlift. Then I slowly pick up the bar until it reaches mid thigh height, then as fast as I can, thrust my hips forward, extend my knees, and ankles while shrugging to catch the bar.

What I dont really understand is why in some videos the person doing the power clean appears to jump then land?

Also, any pointers and tips for someone who has never done them before?

Also what weights should I start with, how should I progress etc? Same as with squats and deads? make all sets, add 2.5kg etc.

Thanks.

Check out reply #23 below:
A question on Strength: Intensity & Volume loading

Fadi.

Last edited: