• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Power Clean

So are you meant to go from a crouching/deadlift position? The trainers at the gym said you only do that at the start to get it off the ground.

so more like this guy:
YouTube - Power Clean 6 x 120kg

Thank you for that but no. What I've posted was a powerclean. What you have posted is not a powerclean. It's a hanging power clean. A hanging power clean is not a full movement and is not considered a powerclean. We can discuss that if you like.

There are many Olympic weightlifting exercises that serve to add power and strength to a full Olympic weightlifting lift (movement) such as the clean & jerk and snatch.

An example is in order here: weightlifters perform an exercise by the name of halting dead lifts. This exercise's purpose is to add/help with explosive power to the mid point of a clean, or a power clean. I couldn't find an example of it on the net.

So here's a word description: you lift a weight off the floor then you bring it down to just below knee level and stop (halt) in that position for 6 seconds before you explode up by pulling and thrusting your hips forward and ending up with a full shrug whilst standing on your toes. Feel free to ask for more clarification. Again, thank you for your post.

Fadi.

lol you don't have to thank someone for their posts (so much).

I was just pointing out what the trainers showed me. They (or I) just left out the "hanging" part.

I like the whole power clean that you posted more.

Great technique in the first vid.

I had become really confused with technique after reading lots of instructions which kept mentioning the "jump".. As soon as I stopped thinking about the jump, it felt a lot more natural. Starting Strength for instance is all about the jump..

There is also a great series of instructional videos on youtube - look up don mccauley and the catapult technique.

Great technique in the first vid.

I had become really confused with technique after reading lots of instructions which kept mentioning the "jump".. As soon as I stopped thinking about the jump, it felt a lot more natural. Starting Strength for instance is all about the jump..

There is also a great series of instructional videos on youtube - look up don mccauley and the catapult technique.

Jump! What jump? I've never heard my coaches mention the word jump once to me or to anyone else during my stay at the AIS. So it wasn't something I was aware of as part of some instruction to better lifting.

Fadi.

Jump! What jump? I've never heard my coaches mention the word jump once to me or to anyone else during my stay at the AIS.

Yes, stupid bloody jump!!! :)

I read an article by Don McCauley (from the video I mentioned) - and he said that the jump was something that was taught to US lifters for quite some time.. He was wanting to correct this silly behaviour.. I guess that's why it was in Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" - as well as featuring on many websites I visited..

[youtube]Mi6kfdwNDKw[/youtube]

Crazy! He seems to do this pretty easy.

Last edited:
wow thats crazy bro!!! i loved the power clean u posted Fadi ive been watching it over and over and thinking about wat ive learned all ready, now i have an idea what to look for and to do! still working on the power shrugs though. Ya cant rush these big jobs i always say, its take years to learn....

I know! I was actually expecting him to be more explosive off the ground, though it was in the middle of the lift where it came up quick and he got under it.

First pull is never explosive, second pull is. You can clearly see this in the footage I put up of Chris, Alen and Max. Thats why I showed it in 3 speeds.

I am still plugging away with my power shrugs (hanging and from the ground) and a few hang cleans.

The hang cleans sure are feeling better the more I practice the other stuff, though I have a while to go. Sometimes I think about it all to much and it doesn't come together, other times when I am not thining so much they seem to work better. I don't know, it is all becoming a bit tough at the moment, maybe I am over analysing it. I just don't want to develop any bad habits, so I am leaving it until my next PT session.

Thats a strong guy. Check out his 140kg snatch video. Wow.
It's just a shame that he (and most lifters of that style) don't have the size to match.

Look at that Iranian bloke, 260kg is a top effort, but he looks like a contestant on the biggest loser.