• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

power bands

Have you had a lift analysis with Mike? I'm the opposite to you. In fast off the chest slowing at lockout. However a buddy of mine is similar to you (he is a 145kg version) and he got great result from the slingshot and reverse bands.

I have been having a bit of a play with the slingshot, feels good to overload bench which is weak lift for me. I too am weak off the chest but strong at lockout.
How would you recommend incorporating its use into a program mate?

I have been using different variations of 5 x 5, linear and periodised for the past year, has served me well for squats and deads but I have always struggled with bench.
Have just played with the slingshot and done a few triples and singles here and there, def a confidence boost with heavier weights.

Yep, bench twice, squat twice and deads once.
Am running the ramping version this time in a hope to give bench a bit of a boost as usually after 5 sets of straight 5 squats at 85%+ leaves me fairly fucked and bench def suffers
Oh and light squats after deads.

Not had a lift analysis by Mike but I've done it myself after I bought his DVD on how to do it.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROXI4DBtU1M]2nd attempt bench - 75kg - YouTube[/ame]

Here is the point where deceleration occurs:
JvUKg.png

Here is the bottom of the RoM:
DDfj6.png

Here is the top of the RoM
Vcs7W.png

I've increased my arch a lot and moved my grip out to pinkies on the rings since then though. I have a touch and go video here but it is a poor example of how I usually bench:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ7oq9c3xaM]80kg touch and go - YouTube[/ame]

Yep, bench twice, squat twice and deads once.
Am running the ramping version this time in a hope to give bench a bit of a boost as usually after 5 sets of straight 5 squats at 85%+ leaves me fairly fucked and bench def suffers
Oh and light squats after deads.

If you have time to play it would definitely be worth trying a 4week block using slingshot and 1board or reversebands. I bench 3 or 4x per week. I did 6 weeks where I did half with either slingshot or 1board or reverse band with around 30kg deload. Working extremely well.

It's not that low really- it looks like the transition point most have trouble with. How wide is your grip?

Not had a lift analysis by Mike but I've done it myself after I bought his DVD on how to do it.
2nd attempt bench - 75kg - YouTube

Here is the point where deceleration occurs:
JvUKg.png

Here is the bottom of the RoM:
DDfj6.png

Here is the top of the RoM
Vcs7W.png

I've increased my arch a lot and moved my grip out to pinkies on the rings since then though. I have a touch and go video here but it is a poor example of how I usually bench:

80kg touch and go - YouTube

My grip is now pinkies on the rings but that video is about an inch narrower on either side

If you have time to play it would definitely be worth trying a 4week block using slingshot and 1board or reversebands. I bench 3 or 4x per week. I did 6 weeks where I did half with either slingshot or 1board or reverse band with around 30kg deload. Working extremely well.

Too easy I'll add it in, would you recommend one or both sessions?

It's very hard trying to assist via forums- but the general rule of thumb for someone with average lever lengths is the closer grip with put you in a better position for lockout, wider better off chest. I know it's a generalization, but for me and others I have trained with pinkies inside the ring will be slow chest to the transition point- a little wider out- like ring finger or index on the ring and the slow point moves higher. Wide grip is all pec and delt- close is delt/tricep. So moving the grips around can help. But Oni I think chain, band and low pin press would/should help.

You could do both, but I'd be inclined to keep 50% normal bench.

No worries, I'll add it in and play with percentages until I nail em down.
So a few warmups then 5 sets of 5 to overload the shit out it?
Thanks in advance for the advice. 5 x 5 has worked well for 6 - 8 week stints then resetting and going again but bench has stayed stagnant.

Yeah. No worries. Just throw it on and go crazy. I think you'll be surprised. I have found that full rom overload work is brilliant. Just remember that it will throw your regular groove out a little if you don't keep up the regular bench. I find I get less beat up in a slingshot but your lockout goes through the roof.

It's very hard trying to assist via forums- but the general rule of thumb for someone with average lever lengths is the closer grip with put you in a better position for lockout, wider better off chest. I know it's a generalization, but for me and others I have trained with pinkies inside the ring will be slow chest to the transition point- a little wider out- like ring finger or index on the ring and the slow point moves higher. Wide grip is all pec and delt- close is delt/tricep. So moving the grips around can help. But Oni I think chain, band and low pin press would/should help.

Yes I find this too, it took a lot of experimentation to get the right balance with grip. It's going to be hardest where the elbows are furthest away from the fulcrum. I found that a wider grip gives more speed but dies sooner and a close grip is slower and dies later. I settled on pinkies on the rings after a while. There is no feeder chain at my gym yet so chains are only really suitable for deadlifts so I will give the pin presses and band set-up as explained earlier a go.

I'm thinking of ramping up to a 3RM paused bench then dropping weight and doing a downset of paused 4-6RM of either bench press, pin press or benching against the bands. Does this sound reasonable?

Yeah, sounds good. Volume is good and as mike says the higher rep sets should help build that grinding strength.

Awesome, this sounds like the shakeup my bench needs.
PB,s on squats and deads come quite often, as I have been placing a lot of focus on them so anything on bench is few and far between so I am determined to smash the shit out of it this year and at least have a 600 total. Ambitious I know, but it's a goal.

Do it, chew it up, spit it out, then go for more!
If I get to Adelaide we can slingshot the crap out of some iron.