• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Post your shoulder work here

When I started doing Fadis full body program 3 times a week I was doing behind neck press as the main shoulder exercise. My shoulders got bigger than they ever had before over a 6 month period. Just eat big and lift big and you can't go wrong.

The longer you train with a full body routine the more you understand lifting isn't complicated, its very simple but takes a lot of hard work

Good post

Good post

I do find it weird how quickly my shoulders were noticably bigger but my chest didn't see much change. I guess I just keep on keeping on until I see change everywhere.

Another point was that my quads saw some of the best definition I have ever seen through my squats. I got so excited I sometimes posed in front of the mirror at the gym. I still feel like a tool for doing that. :p

From Bill Starr - Rotator Cuff

About your behind the neck press Mickdog

Another major cause of rotator cuff damage is behind-the-neck exercises. That's especially true for younger trainees and those who haven't yet established a solid strength foundation. The shoulder girdle simply isn't designed to move in that direction, and when you add resistance, the situation becomes more risky. Behind-the-neck presses, chins and pulldowns all place your rotator cuffs in jeopardy. I've been harping on that fact for years, but the message hasn't gotten across to many. All of those exercises are just as productive when performed to the front and not at all risky, so why tempt the gods? It's a gamble you're not going to win.

One of the problems with behind-the-neck exercises is that when you do feel the pain in your rotator cuff, it's too late. Now, if you combine sloppy form on the bench with one or more behind-the-neck movements, you're heading down the unhappy road to a rotator cuff injury'where recovery is not always swift and you could require surgery.

From Bill Starr - Rotator Cuff

About your behind the neck press Mickdog

Another major cause of rotator cuff damage is behind-the-neck exercises. That's especially true for younger trainees and those who haven't yet established a solid strength foundation. The shoulder girdle simply isn't designed to move in that direction, and when you add resistance, the situation becomes more risky. Behind-the-neck presses, chins and pulldowns all place your rotator cuffs in jeopardy. I've been harping on that fact for years, but the message hasn't gotten across to many. All of those exercises are just as productive when performed to the front and not at all risky, so why tempt the gods? It's a gamble you're not going to win.

One of the problems with behind-the-neck exercises is that when you do feel the pain in your rotator cuff, it's too late. Now, if you combine sloppy form on the bench with one or more behind-the-neck movements, you're heading down the unhappy road to a rotator cuff injury'where recovery is not always swift and you could require surgery.

That is why I changed to db or bb press.

I did BTNP for years with no problem. Ironically I cut them out and now have a shoulder problem

I did BTNP for years with no problem. Ironically I cut them out and now have a shoulder problem

I see no problem with the exercise, it's where you hold the bar when you squat right?

I think the so-called rotator cuff issue is a product of too much movement around the shoulder.

There were not many issues before the barbell bench press became a favourite.

Umm, I change up every 6ish weeks. But at the moment it looks something like this:

Seated over-head DB press - 4x6
Military Press - 3x8
Cable laterals (tri-set) - 3x12,12,12 - that's 6 for side, front and rear (bent over) laterals.

The cable laterals are really quite light weight, I just enjoy the burn it gives me.

Another favourite though is the 45 degree laterals. Go 25-50% lighter on these than regular DB laterals.

Oh and I like to shrug on shoulder day too.

Not specific shoulder only excercises like military press ..

But yes I get enough stimulation and growth from heavy bench (front delts) close grip bench .. heavy rows (rear delts)..

did 40 clean and jerks over an 3 hours period at the AIS centre..

I couldnt move my shoulders after that.. Fcuk my life..

More often than not Graham, that problem can be resolved by changing the position of your hands.

Holding a barbell opens up the shoulder capsule which exposes weakness.

The remedy is turn the hand anti clockwise so they are facing each other, one reason why the "log-press" is very popular.
Another plus also for using dumb-bells.

DBs held on an angle are fine, even push presses where my legs do the initial work aren't too bad (though lowering them can be an issue),
My shoulders get enough work from other exercises to be worrying too much about military pressing

military press and flat benching is enough for my front and lateral delts

chins and rows hit the back half

I do all the big upperbody movements, chins, rows, bench, Mill press etc, and in 2.5years my front/side delts have exploded and rear delts are very under developed and I'm starting to slouch forward.

From now on my only shoulder work will be rear delt flys and indirect work from pressing movements, no more mill press.

military press and flat benching is enough for my front and lateral delts

chins and rows hit the back half

I do all the big upperbody movements, chins, rows, bench, Mill press etc, and in 2.5years my front/side delts have exploded and rear delts are very under developed and I'm starting to slouch forward.

From now on my only shoulder work will be rear delt flys and indirect work from pressing movements, no more mill press.

contradiction :confused: , please explain? Or is it just things work differently for different people and bodies?

Military press 2x/week for me, and I'd like to think rows and chins take care of my rear delts...