• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Aussie BodyBuilding Icon – Roger Walker

rogerwalker_classic.jpg
rogerwalker_im.jpg
RogerWalkerIFBB.jpg

In the heyday of modern bodybuilding when Arnold Schwarzenegger was at his best – and worst – we had one of our own mixing it with the big boys.
Strangely, there’s very little to be found about Roger Walker on the internet apart from a 2002 interview with James Sadek at BB.com.
Researching the Australian ‘Mr Universe’ isn’t made any easier by the fact that up until 1976 there were 3 ‘Mr Universe’ contests. There was the NABBA Amateur ‘Mr Universe’, the NABBA Pro ‘Mr Universe’ and the IFBB ‘Mr Universe’.
Roger Walker’s triumph came in 1976 when he won the IFBB World Bodybuilding Championships Heavyweight division to become the IFBB Heavy Weight World Champion. WTF! I thought this was the Mr Universe contest?
Confused? I know I am. It appears that the IFBB decided to change some of the rules and the title bestowed on the winner. From 1976 onwards there would be no overall winner and the winners of each division would be know as ‘World Champion’ not ‘Mr Universe’. You can read about at IFBB web pages here and here.

Walker doesn’t mention any of this in his interview with Sadek so maybe the trophies still had ‘Mr Universe’ on them.
In any case, Roger would have been well versed in how IFBB contests were run when he turned up at the Opera House in Sydney for the 1980 Olympia – since dubbed the most controversial Mr O ever. Roger Walker placed 6th but things got ugly when the favorite, Mike Menzter placed 5th. One gets the feeling Walker’s still pretty pissed about the whole affair but then so is everyone else who placed between 15th and 2nd.

Aussie BodyBuilding Icon – Roger Walker : Bodybuilding News

Mr. Olympia - 1965

The first tournament Mr. Olympia, has passed on September, 18th, 1965 in New York (USA).
three athletes participated in it. Places were distributed as follows:
1 - Larry Scott (USA)
2 - Harold Poole (USA)
3 - Earl Maynard (Barbados) The first Mr. Olympia competition was held September 18, 1965 in New York (USA). It was attended by three athletes . Place as follows: 1 - Larry Scott (USA) 2 - Harold Poole (USA) 3 - Earl Maynard (Barbados) 1 - Larry Scott 2 - Harold Poole 3 - Earl Maynard

Larry_Scott_Joe_Weider.jpg
Larry_Scott_6861.jpg

Harold Poole
Harold_Pul_6861.jpg

Earl Maynard
Erl_Mejnard_941.jpg

Mr. Olympia - 1966

Mr. Olympia - 1966, has passed in New York. 4 athletes participated. Places:
1 - Larry Scott
2 - Harold Poole
3 - Chuck Sipes
4 - Sergio Oliva Olympia - 1966, held in New York. Attended four athletes. Places: 1 - Larry Scott 2 - Harold Poole 3 - Chuck Sayps 4 - Sergio Oliva 1 - Larry Scott 2 - Harold Poole 3 - Chuck Sipes 4 - Sergio Oliva

Larry Scott
Larry_Scott_621.jpg
Larry_Scott_51.jpg

Harold Poole
Harold_Poole_331.jpg

Chuck Sipes
Chuck_Sipes_743.jpg

Sergio Oliva
Sergio_Oliva_1966.jpg

Last edited:
Mr. Olympia - 1967

Mr. Olympia in 1967, has passed as in New York. As, four athletes participated. The winner, has won a monetary prize - $ 1000. Places:
1 - Sergio Oliva
2 - Chuck Sipes
3 - Harold Poole
4 - Dave Draper Mr. Olympia 1967, was also in New York. Also, part 4 athlete. The winner received a cash prize - $ 1000. 1 - Sergio Oliva 2 - Chuck Sayps 3 - Harold Poole 4 - Dave Draper 1 - Sergio Oliva two - Chak Sajps 3 - Harold Poole 4 - Dave Draper

Sergio Oliva
Sergio_Oliva_1967.jpg
Sergio_Oliva_1967_2.jpg

Chuck Sipes
Chak_Sajps_1967.jpg

Harold Poole
Harold_Poole_1967.jpg

Dave Draper
Dave_Draper_1967.jpg

Last edited:
Mr. Olympia - 1968

Tournament "Mr. Olympia 1968", is brought in "Book records of Ginesa", as "the smallest competitions in the World". It is no wonder: only one participant and it, the champion - Sergio Oliva. Tournament "Olympia 1968", listed in the "Book of Records Giuness," as "the most numerically smaller competitions in the world." It is not surprising: only a member and he, the champion - Sergio Oliva. Sergio Oliva

Sergio_Oliva_1968.jpg
Sergio_Oliva_1968_2.jpg

Sergio_Oliva_1968_3.jpg

Last edited:
Mr. Olympia - 1969

On Mr. Olympia in 1969, two athletes competed:
1 - Sergio Oliva
2 - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Sergio Oliva
Sergio_Oliva_668.jpg
Schwarzenegger_7541.jpg

Sergio_Oliva_1969.jpg

Arnold Schwarzenegger
Arnold_Schwarzenegger_1969.jpg

Mr. Olympia - 1970

Mr. Olympia in 1970, three competed. Places:
1 - Arnold Schwarzenegger
2 - Sergio Oliva
3 - Reg Lewis
The Mr. Olympia competition in 1970, competed three.
Places: 1 - Arnold Schwarzenegger (Austria) 2 - Sergio Oliva (Cuba) 3 - Reg Lewis (USA) Arnold Schwarzenegger

Arnold_Schwarzenegger_Sergio_Oliva_1970.jpg
Arnold_Schwarzenegger_251.jpg

I remember when he tore the bicep. he should not have won the Olympia that year. Shawn Ray got dudded.

Looks painful.

I don't think he did.
If you YouTube videos of the Olympia that year you can clearly see the bicep was not right.

It was a courageous effort to make the stage so my full admiration goes to Yates but he was gifted the Olympia.

Shawn Ray, Kevin Levrone or even Flex Wheeler could have won that year or should've.

from bodybuilding.com article and interview with dorian yates

"In '94, a few weeks out from his third Mr. Olympia win, Dorian, in performing the exercise credited with building much of his unmatched back thickness, reverse grip bent over rows, discovered he had torn his left bicep. Still able to train over the remaining weeks before the show, the damage being more psychological than physical at that point, Dorian prevailed over Shawn Ray at that year's Olympia to take yet another crown"...

any mention of that exercise is always followed by comments about it causing torn biceps.

from bodybuilding.com article and interview with dorian yates

"In '94, a few weeks out from his third Mr. Olympia win, Dorian, in performing the exercise credited with building much of his unmatched back thickness, reverse grip bent over rows, discovered he had torn his left bicep. Still able to train over the remaining weeks before the show, the damage being more psychological than physical at that point, Dorian prevailed over Shawn Ray at that year's Olympia to take yet another crown"...

any mention of that exercise is always followed by comments about it causing torn biceps.

The fist and only time I tried alternate grip deadlifts I yanked hard on my bicep, it was sore for days...
Straps for me.. I haven't tried heavy reverse grip rows, reading that, I don't think I ever will. I always assumed he tore that with a bicep exercise.

Mr. Olympia - 1971

Olympia - 1971, has passed in Paris (France). Truth was called it, as however and all previous Olympia - Universe.
Workmate Weider of that time (later left from them and created alternative the federation WABBA) - Serge Nubret has spent it.
About Olympia 1971, the data disperses: under the version "Book of records of Ginesa", it were, as well as 1968 - "the smallest sports competitions only one sportsman participated in the World" and in them - Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Well and Weider asserted, later, that at them was two participants: still there there was Frank Kolombo.
Anyway, Schwarzenegger, was in the excellent sports form and in white swimming trunks "a la the Oliva".

Arnold Schwarzenegger
Serge_Nubret_Arnold_Schwarzenegger_Joe_Weider.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E29aUKPn8Qc]Very Funny Body Building Dancing Routine at the LA Muscle BNBF Central 2009 Show - YouTube[/ame]